Repeat Kung Pao Chicken Cook

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
There is / was a “Chicken Breast” Throwdown going on now in the Throwdown Form. For this I decided to repeat My Kung Pao Chicken cook I did in March. I didn’t end up entering this cook as I missed the deadline cutoff time, :tsk: but here it is none the less.

Here’s a couple of pics of the Ingredients.

Recipe below:

Marinate Ingredients:
28 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast cut in 1” cubes. (2 large breasts)
1 tbsp. Shaoxing wine. (I used Dry Cooking Sherry)
1 tbsp. light soy
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cornstarch

Sauce Ingredients:
½ cup low sodium chick stock.
5 tbsp. light soy
2 tbsp. Chinese black vinegar (I used Balsamic)
2 tbsp. Shaoxing wine. (I used Dry Cooking Sherry)
2 tsp. dark soy.
2 tsp. Hoisin sauce (I used Oyster sauce)
2 tbsp. sugar.
1 tbsp. Samba Chili sauce
1 tsp. Fish sauce
1 tsp. cornstarch

Stir Fry Ingredients:
4 tbsp. cooking oil – divided
1 ½ tbsp. minced garlic
1 tbsp. minced ginger
½ red bell pepper diced into 1” pieces.
½ green bell pepper diced into 1” pieces.
8-10 dried chilies.
1 tbsp. Sichuan Peppercorns. (I added a pinch of red pepper flakes)
4 green onion stems (cut into 1” pieces)
½ cup roast/unsalted peanuts
2 tsp. sesame oil

In addition to the above I added the following:
½ large carrot diced into 1” pieces.
½ medium yellow onion
½ medium red onion
1 stalk of diced celery
1 ½ zucchinis diced into 1” pieces.

I diced up the chicken and stirred in the marinate.

And of course, our new dog Lady came in to see if I would share anything.

Here is the Wok out on my Gas Grill side burner. I heated it up and added in 1 tbsp of Chili Oil and 1 tbsp of Sesame Oil. I put in the marinated chicken breasts and cooked it until everything started to brown.

I removed the chicken and set it aside while I started cooking the veggies. 2 tbsp of Sesame Oil and added the diced carrot first since they would take the longest to cook. After approximately 2 minutes I then added the chili peppers, garlic & ginger.

Then the onions.

Then the bell peppers, celery.

And finally, the zucchini and the sauce.

Once they had cooked for approximately 3 minutes, I added the chicken back in and cooked for another 3 minutes. After that I added the peanuts and green onion in for the last 30 seconds.

I had previously made up some Jasmine Brown Rice and heated some of this up. Here are a few pics of everything plated up.

This was delicious and the wife thought it was “awesome!”

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Looks great. If you do it again, try and find Chinese Black Vinegar and Hoisin Sauce, the taste differences will be noticeable.

That looks so good...I think the list of ingredients is often what causes me to shy away from Asian recipes so I usually outsource the cooking operations :thumb: let me know the next time you make it and I’ll swing by :becky:

Copying this recipe. Been really enjoying cooking different asian inspired dishes lately, and I think I have everything except for the vinegar and wines mentioned. Back to the store I go!

Mighty fine!
Thank you Marty
Looks great. If you do it again, try and find Chinese Black Vinegar and Hoisin Sauce, the taste differences will be noticeable.
Thank you Curtis. I did actually buy some Hoisin sauce but couldn't find the Black vinegar. I'll have to go down to a local Asian Super Market and see if I can find it and give them a try.
Very tastey looking meal and healthy to boot
Thank you Joe

Heck ya DH sign me up!
Thank you Tom
That looks so good...I think the list of ingredients is often what causes me to shy away from Asian recipes so I usually outsource the cooking operations :thumb: let me know the next time you make it and I’ll swing by :becky:
Thank you S&S. It's really not to difficult to make. Just get everything out and prep it and then take everything out to the Wok to cook.
Copying this recipe. Been really enjoying cooking different asian inspired dishes lately, and I think I have everything except for the vinegar and wines mentioned. Back to the store I go!
Thank you Justin.I could find everything on the recipe either. I googled suitable substitutions for some of the items. It suggested the following:

Shaoxing wine - Dry Cooking Sherry
Black Vinegar - Balsamic Vinegar

Back