Kettle Salmon

Not sure what Teleking's method is, but other than using my instant read thermo, I use the finger touch method. Just push on the thickest part of the steak and feel the firmness or lack thereof. I prefer the therm and pull mine at *138 and let it rest for about 3 or 4 minutes, and it winds up around *140 - *142 which for my taste is right on target. Love me some salmon with some TC's. However I am not agin trying something else. The salty taste of the D B sounds good to me.

Omar

Not sure what Teleking's method is, but other than using my instant read thermo, I use the finger touch method. Just push on the thickest part of the steak and feel the firmness or lack thereof. I prefer the therm and pull mine at *138 and let it rest for about 3 or 4 minutes, and it winds up around *140 - *142 which for my taste is right on target. Love me some salmon with some TC's. However I am not agin trying something else. The salty taste of the D B sounds good to me.

Omar

Thanks Omar!

I dearly love salmon when it is done right. I have not had much luck making it real good. I would love to know more about it.

I dearly love salmon when it is done right. I have not had much luck making it real good. I would love to know more about it.

I've never really been a fan of salmon but I think it's because it wasn't being cooked right.
It's actually simple, just buy it fresh. I setup my kettle for indirect using fire brick to bank the coals. Put a couple small chunks of apple wood in the coals. Lit 12 coals got'm real hot and dumped in the center of the unlit. Let the kettle get up to 270 (my favorite temp). While the Kettle was warming I had a cedar plank soaking in water. It soaked for about 45 min. Then when the kettle was up to temp I put the fish on the plank, seasoned it then put it on the kettle. Monitored the IT until it hit 145 and took it off the kettle. Then I devoured it! :becky: It really was good!

Please allow me to resurrect this thread for a moment... if only to say, "Thank You."

Andrew, you're a great teacher. Used your technique from above... timing, etc.

Here's my own attempt after reviewing your instructions:

IMG_1355_zpsba2h66sc.jpg

IMG_1356_zpsyiqygcck.jpg

IMG_1359_zps23vn655y.jpg

This is NOT about me... but about some excellent direction from above.

It worked out great. Many thanks.
My 8 month-old tore up a piece, thanks to you!

Thanks Marc! I actually havent cooked salmon in the kettle for awhile now. Im gonna have to do it again soon..

Yours turned out looking great! Looks like you cooked directly over the coals. I may have to try that...:thumb:

Don't over think salmon. When the white fat shows it is done. This is with wild king salmon,farm raised garbage who knows. Being a commercial salmon fisherman I have my opinion.

Back