Kettle Grill Fried Chicken Thighs

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
I realize I posted grill fried thighs back in early December, but this cook differs slightly. The December cook was on the Goldens', with the chicken dipped in egg wash and a mix of Lefty's. Today's cook is a simple flour/baking powder mixture.

The idea comes from an Adrenaline BBQ (now SnS Grills) video from a few years back, courtesy of Stephen Cusato (Not Another Cooking Show channel). I can't seem to find that video on YouTube, but there are a ton of similar ones since the concept isn't unique.

Dry brine the chicken. I heavily salted it and let it sit uncovered in the fridge yesterday as it was intended for Sunday dinner -

egTYKB0.jpg

Mix up equal parts AP Flour and Baking Powder with some S&P. Coat the chicken and let it sit for a half hour or so -

iC4H1V1.jpg

Meanwhile, fire up the kettle. I'm using my 18" Weber with the SnS so coals are on one side of the kettle for an indirect cook -

JjDZOt9.jpg

u7bMdkf.jpg

Grill for 20 minutes -

ypmWWlu.jpg

Spray with EVOO (I used my mister) and flip. Spray that side as well -

KhZq82U.jpg

Cook for another 20 minutes, then flip once more back to the skin up side. Potentially grill for another 20 minutes.

I let mine grill for an additional 10 minutes (50 minutes total), but thighs could easily take 60 minutes total without drying out.

They're ready to come off the grill -

NDQLJSQ.jpg

Resting on a rack inside -

0RAkPQ7.jpg

rZOsO14.jpg

A Chef John #forkdontlie test would be appropriate here. :becky: They've got a nice crunchy texture.

If you're into fried chicken but don't want to actually fry chicken, use your Weber kettle. Thighs, wings and drums would do well with this technique. I'm not sure I'd recommend breasts at temps this high (my thermometer was registering 450F during the cook). I'd keep temps cooler for those and pull at 165. These thighs registered 185-190 when I removed them from the grill.

If you're grilling wings, a nice bath in some Frank's Red Hot and butter would result in some awesome Buffalo wings.

That's all from my backyard today.

Regards,
-lunchman

That chicken looks great- but that "white stuff" on the ground is freaking me the hell out.

Will definitely have to try that-without the snow.

Luv wings n thighs on the kettle,,,,
I usually do just some rub and on we go,,,
Most definitely going to give this technique a go
Looks outstanding !

Weird thing is that is a legal chicken entry for a KCBS contest!
As a BBQ judge, would the fried look give you pause compared to the usual look of BBQ chicken?
Ed

I've done KFC chicken both ways, wet & dry and prefer the dry method. Yours look like they came out perfect! :thumb:

Looks great but I can't get my head around that much baking powder.

It's only about 2 or 3 Tbsp mixed with an equal amount of flour. Oddly, prior to making the chicken, I looked up the inclusion of cornstarch vs. baking powder. I couldn't remember which was used until I dug out my recipe to confirm. (Never rely on aging memory when cooking.) :rolleyes: Cornstarch is used as a thickening agent; baking powder as a leavening agent, which also helps with the crispiness.

I read some folks react to the aluminum in some baking powders, I used Rumford which doesn't contain it. You don't taste the baking powder in this chicken and I'm sure you could use less.

That's my baking science lesson for today, cobbled from a few minutes of internet research. :-D

For anyone wondering does this method rival real fried chicken? Absolutely not. But it's still pretty darn good.

Back