KCBS Garnish question

SmoothBoarBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Donnie
Hey All,

So I'm doing my 3rd comp this weekend and I accidentally bought a ton of romaine lettuce (apparently with core) instead of green leaf lettuce. My preferred method for garnish is to make the little swirls with saran wrap and then cut them into small burger patty shapes. I've done this a couple times before with no issues but reading the 2016 KCBS rules it says no cores...anybody think I'm going to end up with a loss in appearance for using a Romaine Heart rather than just straight green lettuce? Thanks

For reference here's a video by Redneck Scientific where he explains this process.

https://youtu.be/ohz_FjC8EUM?t=205

I've used romaine in the past, using the same method you described. Just make sure that you don't use the hard, white, ass-end of the lettuce, which is the core.

I would only use that for boxes that are mostly covered with meat. Too much color variation in romaine for my liking.

One thing to note...we competed last weekend and the reps sent out a notice that unless we knew for certain the romaine did NOT come from the Yuma area, don't use it.

Back on topic, Use green leaf lettuce instead of romaine for the discs, the coloration is much more consistent.

I agree. I would just get some green leaf. I tried romaine with some practice boxes and they looked weird.

Our KCBS rep last week told us at the cooks meeting that if you are using Romaine, the judge can either refuse to sample the turn in, or mark down your score for submitting Romaine.

I thought it was the most preposterous thing I've heard at a cooks meeting.

Its either legal garnish or its not. Isnt that the extent of what judges are instructed to judge?

and what if some dink thinks your kale is romaine

Our KCBS rep last week told us at the cooks meeting that if you are using Romaine, the judge can either refuse to sample the turn in, or mark down your score for submitting Romaine.

Its either legal garnish or its not. Isnt that the extent of what judges are instructed to judge?

What a farked up deal, the rep should have asked the judges at their meeting if anyone was against it, and that judge should have been a table captain or removed all together.

Once again KCBS at it's finest........

Yep. You beat me to it. We were told KCBS did a press release on this issue? I haven’t looked for it yet. Anybody see this? I’m really curious how this message was conveyed down to the judges as the rep mentioned it would be explained at the judges meeting. How does a judge score down for something they are unwilling to sample? What suffers, taste? Tenderness?

So yeah, I’d advise not using romaine...

The rules state fresh green lettuce. So there should be no problem.

The issue with romaine was detected and addressed back in April. I'd be surprised if any of that product is still on the market and more surprised if any bbq cooks would use something that old as garnish.
To the original post, I used to use chopped romaine to establish some height in the box, place the meat on top of that and then parsley to trim the box. Kale has replaced that technique altogether.

The reps at Westmont, IL last weekend announced that there is no concern about lettuce any longer.

Just another situation where folks think that the quality of BBQ is determined by grass in the turn in box.

Nothing to do with quality. The concern was for the safety of the cooks and judges in light of the recalls. I would rather they be overly cautious than have someone get ill.

Back