THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am going to have to try that. My leaf lettuce boxes use a lot more lettuce and to be able to have better control of the height of the meat that is just fantastic.

Seriously, thank you for posting that. Now I don't have to clean Giant Eagle out of green leaf lettuce.

I may have bought every head of green leaf lettuce they had in the entire store for Buckhannon.

While it not expensive to buy lettuce it will allow me to move money around to more important purchases. Thanks again for the great info.

Yes we will be!!! We will happily show you (even if you aren't a "new team :wink:)! David, our third team member, is the ones that build our boxes and he loves showing people how to do it :biggrin1:. Curly Tails showed us in Cumming and we feel a need to share the love around...

Either we'll find you on Friday or you can come find us and we'll show you what we do.

Does your lettuce box building process involve a "lettuce log" with Saran wrap. Just saw something on the web and wow, impressed.

Edit: just read the last couple of pages I missed and see the video was added

Used this process at my last comp in May and it was fantastic how quickly the boxes were made. Initially I tried to make the box tighter by putting in 5 discs, but it was too much, and when they expanded everything popped out of place.

Stick with 4 discs and keep a wet paper towel over the top to hold everything down!

Did a practice box with that method. Very impressed how fast and easy it was. Wasn't happy with the way brisket slices layed though. I think they look better slanted like you get on parsley. Will keep experimenting, but think this does have it's place and time.

Jerry Stephenson of Redneck Scientific just put out this video on how to build a box with green leaf lettuce: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ohz_FjC8EUM&feature=youtu.be As an added benefit he also includes the web link (www.burgbbqbenefit.com) for Jim Burg's fundraiser auction.

There ya have it folks! That is the method that we use (and now David can be spared from the humiliation of photos or videos :biggrin1:).

We use that exact method, but because of the way we build our boxes, chicken is the only one that is exactly 4 discs laid flat. Ribs, pork and brisket all have their own slight variations to make them fit our food. For example, with brisket, I use a small layer of the lettuce scrunched up behind my back slice to give it a slant in the box, so I can layer my slices properly.

If anyone wants to still see it in person, we're still happy to show anyone who is interested.

I'd be nervous about leaving a piece of plastic wrap in the box and being DQ'd.

I can understand that. My guess is be very very careful.

I am going to try it at home myself and see what I think. I can definitly understand your concern.
The method we learned from DivaQ works so maybe not the best idea to change now but man you have to admit it is very tempting. Especially since there is no risk of foreign materials being in the box with her method it may not be a good idea for us.

It's a concern of ours as well every week, but that is why all three of us check the boxes individually to make sure we got it all. Not saying it can't happen, but careful eyes go a long way.

I am not in the KCBS we are competing in Texas where there is no garnish. But I am about to start out in a few comps before I go to the royal. Any tips on how to put a lettuce box together? What is opinion of best lettuce? Or any other garnish out there. Any help would be great. I am very new to comp bbq. Again any help would be great.

I am not in the KCBS we are competing in Texas where there is no garnish. But I am about to start out in a few comps before I go to the royal. Any tips on how to put a lettuce box together? What is opinion of best lettuce? Or any other garnish out there. Any help would be great. I am very new to comp bbq. Again any help would be great.
Green Leaf Lettuce is what you want.

I would say to go buy a styrofoam box, just like the turn in boxes, and practice. Go to the store and buy a few heads of green leaf lettuce as well as several bunches of parsley and just see which one you like the best. You can google pictures of boxes and that will give you a good idea of how to do it. Also there is a write up on the internet somewhere, where Diva-Q does a tutorial on how she does the boxes.

I'm glad someone picked up on the video and posted it here. I did the video because 1) I wanted the Jim Burg/Killer Bees/BurgBBQBenefit.com to get some added attention and 2) because I think this method is simple and building parsley boxes suck.

If you can make this method better, do so. Help out others though. I'd love to see this box become more of the "norm" that KCBS Judges see vs. in the minority that "stick out" in a Judge's mind.

(***Disclaimer...I truly believe that Judges are human. And as humans, they do indeed look at garnish much like I look at a pretty lady walking down the street. I just hope the minority of Judges, that do take garnish into mental consideration while thinking about Appearance scores, do not knock the hell out of me like my wife does.

Because, after all, we are all humans. Mostly.)

Thanks for site I hope to see the pics but the read will work too. I do not know if this is right place, but does anyone have advise for a newbie headed to the royal for the first time? Or point me to the right place.

Thanks

Thanks for site I hope to see the pics but the read will work too. I do not know if this is right place, but does anyone have advise for a newbie headed to the royal for the first time? Or point me to the right place.

Thanks

If you're looking for advice, your best bet is to start your own thread asking for just that. Six pages of enthralling discussion about garnish should not be hijacked by a diversion to the Royal :mrgreen: :wink:.

In all seriousness though, thread hijacking is isn't really a big deal (it is against the rules, but it happens), but it makes using the search option difficult for future users who would be looking for the same information.

Welcome BTW!

Back