Kat 36-20 smoker build

nickyn99

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hello All,
Just put my deposit down for a 36-20 smoker from Kat. Will be a long wait but in no hurry. Think Ken mentioned about 20 weeks as he is having a hard time getting materials. Also he is less than 2 hours from me so that's a huge plus. Anyhow thinking about adding the warmer over and would like thoughts on if it's worth it for those who have had one. i saw a post from a few years ago of a member here who had it done but could not find many posts after that of if he liked it or not. Thanks for any input and plan on calling Ken tomorrow to get his thoughts a swell.

I'd go 20 x 48" or 24 x 48" instead of putting a warmer on a 36".

Thanks - Think the 48 would be too big as I never cook for a huge group. 5 or 6 at the most maybe a few times a year. Thinking the warmer oven could be used for smoking other meats (sausage, chicken, ribs?) or just keeping things warmed up.. Just kicking the thought around.

Thanks - Think the 48 would be too big as I never cook for a huge group. 5 or 6 at the most maybe a few times a year. Thinking the warmer oven could be used for smoking other meats (sausage, chicken, ribs?) or just keeping things warmed up.. Just kicking the thought around.

Warming ovens generally are just that; a warming oven to keep cooked meat at a "hot holding" temperature (usually between 140-180 degrees F).

Lots of builders will put in dampers you can open / close so that you can get extra heat and smoke from the cook chamber or firebox into the warming oven. This way you can use it both as a warming oven, but also as extra smoking space. You should also be able to put some lit charcoal in the warming box and use it was a grill.

I'd ask Ken about your options with the wamer. On my Johnson Smokers RF smoker I never used my warmer as a warmer, but always as extra cooking capacity. Mind you I was running a small BBQ food truck, so that extra capacity was needed.

Back