Job transfer to Montgomery Al. Help a Yankee please

First off let me welcome you to Alabama. And give you a big War Eagle.

I had Jim N Nicks last night and their hot links are out of this world. They wreck my body for the next day but oh so worth it. I don't know if there is better "chain" bbq around. Full Moon comes in a close second.

I'm up in the Bham area so I mostly know the spots around here if you ever want to do some driving there are some great spots.

Georgia is right next door and if I was looking for an easy to control pit it would be tempting to make a short drive to check out the Stumps setup.

http://www.tmbbq.com/the-year-of-alabama-barbecue/

I will go ahead and say that in my experience Alabama Q is a bit different than other areas of smoked meat. Most of the smaller or older spots are open pits with hickory under them. Butts and ribs are the most common and are typically not the fall off the bone tender type from these spots. Hell, Dreamland in Tuscaloosa cooks their ribs in an hour. Their sauce is great but if you're in Ttown and want something truly great check out Archibald's instead.

This year the tourism board has done something different and called it the Year of Alabama Barbecue. There's an app that you can download to your phone that has restaurants listed all over the state. Check it out!

I do plan on starting a discussion on the topic of our style of barbecue soon after I gather some more pictures. I really do think it is unique since it's a melting pot of everything else around.

Welcome to Alabama and yes.....ROLL TIDE !!!!! Where are you going to be located here in Bama ? Jim and Nicks got some good Q.

I will be working about 15 minutes east of Montgomery. Not sure where we will settle yet.

Welcome to the Gump! Jim-n-Nicks isn't bad, but the best Q comes from my back yard. Some people swear by Country's BBQ, but I'm just not a fan.

When do you get in town?

I lived in Anniston for a short time and, well, there wasn't much in the way of Q that I could find......with that, I will respond to your other question...

For Gravity: an Assassin
Water cooker: Backwoods
Pellet: Yoder or Cookshack (a little more $$$ but worth it IMO)

Congrats on the new job!

Welcome to the Gump! Jim-n-Nicks isn't bad, but the best Q comes from my back yard. Some people swear by Country's BBQ, but I'm just not a fan.

When do you get in town?

I am not sure :confused: I am transferring within my company. They need to backfill my current position before I can go. :doh: I have been told September, October or November..... so....

My wife and I will be scheduling a house hunting trip early August, we hope...

So much still up in the air until other people make up their mind

I grew up in Alabama and let me affirm.... you will have to make a decision..... ROLL TIDE or war eagle....but its pretty easy...ROLL TIDE!. But you are very fortunate to have a lot of pit builders within a few hours drive. enjoy sweet home Alabama....there are lots of good BBQ joints close to you if you are like most of us who will drive a couple hours to experience them. Golden rule in B-ham ( the original) is much better than the franchised ones. Bob Sykes in Bessemer and Bob Gibsons in Decatur are just a few.

Back