Wanting to add another smoker to our ensemble. Help with smokers!

JermoQ - what pellet cookers do you have and what UDS?

I have a Pithoss 820, a new, and not assembled yet Cooperhead 5, and I made my own UDS. If you went the homemade UDS route, you could put together 4 or 5 nice ones with the money you have saved up.

I reckon I’m cooking with my dream line up. But if my mind started wandering, the emotions began to stir- that little red box would fit in my life- or on my patio anyway. It’s (my lineup) not perfect- but it’s right.
Never say never.

How does that red box one work? Charcoal?

Yep charcoal. I could see how that one could fit nicely in a comp setup. I was saying to my wife we might need to get one for chicken and pork butts. Usually I have seen these sell for 400 new.

We love our Hunsaker drum. We do no "long" cooks on the pellet any more. No need to. Hot and fast and easy. Temp control is a breeze. Decent capacity, versatile, and well made. No guru or other temp controllers required. And drums are doing quite well in the comps if that is your goal. We use it for the home only and it was well worth the investment.

Torn on going with a barrel - a budget one like the Oklahoma Joes Barrel cooker, or a nicer like a Gateway drum. Or doing a pellet cabinet smoker, or a cabinet like posted here. Or maybe an offset charcoal smoker....

A drum will run very consistent temps whether you pay big bucks for a commercially made one or build your own and save $. That being said if you think that your WSM ate too much charcoal you can assume that any drum is going to be very similar, it might be a little better but not much. I've never heard anyone say that WSM's are fuel hogs. I would encourage you to talk to other WSM owners (there are plenty around) and make sure that your expectations are in line with the capabilities of the unit. As far as stick burners: if you think charcoal is a hassle a stick burner is NOT your jam, but if you're curious craigslist is full of cheap stickburners that you could get a steal on and try out and if you dont like it you'll know and you can just re-sell it and call it a learning experience.
No matter what you go with look for info from other owners of that type or brand and make sure that it is capable of what you want out of it. it seems like you either need to be OK with a pellet cooker or be OK with the extra work and dirt that can come with other fuel types. Those decisions are the best part of BBQ!

For 800 you can get a pellet pro and a drum kit and have a different look, but still be hands off, and still keep the flavor profile you already like.

Back