I want to upgrade, need help and advice

jojobda

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
hey folks, appreciate you popping by, just a little background. I have been smoking meats for about a year and a half. I live and am from Bermuda, super isolated country off the east coast, smack in the atlantic. there are not alot of smokers, probably about a handfull of us, so not a big retail market here. Its all mostly gas grills and then a cheap charbroil smoker.

I didnt waste money on a charbroil, so i made a UDS, then i was hooked. Used that for a year, then i needed to upgrade. I wanted to be a little versatile, so i got a Weber Kettle 26, i smoke grill and sear on that.

I really enjoy smoking meats, my family and friends really enjoy eating them. i want to upgrade. this is a very important decision for me as you can imagine, shipping a steel box or tube across the atlantic is gonna be costly and i would have to get it right the first time, returns will literally be impossible. i will be using a local container company that ships our of New Jersey, they sell space on their containers at a very reasonable rate.

I like the idea of Cabinet Smokers, i keep returning to the G2 Chubby (i am currently waiting for Backwoods Smokers to tell me what the difference is between the Party and G2 Party as there is a huge price difference) or the BBQ Guru Shotgun. built quality and standing up to salt and rust is one of my major concerns.

My purchase budget is 1400-1600 MAX (1600 x1.8 = $2888 (my all in is $3000 which includes purchase, shipping, customs duty etc))

Please any brand suggestions appreciated, no pellet smokers, our only fuel source options are briquettes or lump, we dont have access to log splits for stick burning.

I'd take a hard look at 270 Smokers if I were living in that part of the world.

From a standpoint of the lighter weight, simplicity and ease of use and they run forever on a little bit of charcoal with perfect temperature control using nothing more than the draft slider.

I can't imagine what charcoal costs you there, you need the cooker that does the most with the least amount of fuel and I can't think of another quality unit that can be had in the same price range that works as well they really are a unique brand versus all the straight back cabinet style options out there.

hey folks, appreciate you popping by, just a little background. I have been smoking meats for about a year and a half. I live and am from Bermuda, super isolated country off the east coast, smack in the atlantic. there are not alot of smokers, probably about a handfull of us, so not a big retail market here. Its all mostly gas grills and then a cheap charbroil smoker.

I didnt waste money on a charbroil, so i made a UDS, then i was hooked. Used that for a year, then i needed to upgrade. I wanted to be a little versatile, so i got a Weber Kettle 26, i smoke grill and sear on that.

I really enjoy smoking meats, my family and friends really enjoy eating them. i want to upgrade. this is a very important decision for me as you can imagine, shipping a steel box or tube across the atlantic is gonna be costly and i would have to get it right the first time, returns will literally be impossible. i will be using a local container company that ships our of New Jersey, they sell space on their containers at a very reasonable rate.

I like the idea of Cabinet Smokers, i keep returning to the G2 Chubby (i am currently waiting for Backwoods Smokers to tell me what the difference is between the Party and G2 Party as there is a huge price difference) or the BBQ Guru Shotgun. built quality and standing up to salt and rust is one of my major concerns.

My purchase budget is 1400-1600 MAX (1600 x1.8 = $2888 (my all in is $3000 which includes purchase, shipping, customs duty etc))

Please any brand suggestions appreciated, no pellet smokers, our only fuel source options are briquettes or lump, we dont have access to log splits for stick burning.

I agree with SmittyJonz, look at Humphrey's. I too was looking at the Backwoods Line-up and My Down East Beast was larger and over $1,000.00 less.

On the island you are hard pressed to find wood, so an extremely efficient insulated vertical would be an ideal choice. I can get almost a 14 hour burn from an eight pound bag of lump charcoal, or 16 pounds of briquettes.

When I was there a few years ago, Tribe Road Kitchen was producing some really good smoked chicken, I wasn't able to find out what type of smoker they had there.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted.

G2 has 15"x22" racks, the non-G2 has 15x16 racks. G2 can fit full size pans and hold bigger meats.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I agree with SmittyJonz, look at Humphrey's. I too was looking at the Backwoods Line-up and My Down East Beast was larger and over $1,000.00 less.

On the island you are hard pressed to find wood, so an extremely efficient insulated vertical would be an ideal choice. I can get almost a 14 hour burn from an eight pound bag of lump charcoal, or 16 pounds of briquettes.

When I was there a few years ago, Tribe Road Kitchen was producing some really good smoked chicken, I wasn't able to find out what type of smoker they had there.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted.

thanks man, i hadnt heard of the humphreys, definitely a contender. the battle box is in my price range, very similar to the G2 Chubby.

Tribe road was doing some amazing things, and they were taking alot of young people under their wing with a culinary interest. Unfortunately they are closed now. They were family run and had a very unexpected tragedy in the family and they closed. They are definitely missed i can promise that.

G2 has 15"x22" racks, the non-G2 has 15x16 racks. G2 can fit full size pans and hold bigger meats.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

yeah i saw the rack dimensions, on the Party vs G2 Party, its like a $1000, just wondering if there was more?

Sounds like this is going to be a once in a lifetime purchase. I think I'd quit finding a smoker in your budget, and find the perfect smoker, and then use what you have until you have the funds to get it.

If that makes sense to you, look at the Lonestar Grillz Insulated cabinet. Take you another year to save up for it, but worth every penny.

The following is the basic Large cabinet. Four grates, each will hold two full sized pans. Think 4 briskets per grate, 5 racks of ribs, 6 butts, etc...

https://lonestargrillz.com/products/large-insulated-cabinet

Sounds like this is going to be a once in a lifetime purchase. I think I'd quit finding a smoker in your budget, and find the perfect smoker, and then use what you have until you have the funds to get it.

If that makes sense to you, look at the Lonestar Grillz Insulated cabinet. Take you another year to save up for it, but worth every penny.

The following is the basic Large cabinet. Four grates, each will hold two full sized pans. Think 4 briskets per grate, 5 racks of ribs, 6 butts, etc...

https://lonestargrillz.com/products/large-insulated-cabinet

its about so much more than money though, i dont mind saving for a year or two, quality and standing up to the elements is my main and first concern, even with a cover on.

Back