What to haul a Yoder640 competition smoker with?

Double J

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Double J
I want to join the St. Louis BBQ Society and start competing in May 2017. I'm interested in purchasing the Yoder 640 Competition Pellet smoker and I have no idea what to look for to purchase or rent to haul this 400lb smoker. To be specific I will probably try and compete a minimum of 6 times a year if not more depending on work schedule. I see tons of trailers that costs thousands of dollars. There has to be a cheaper alternative. I have a Silverado 1500 and I just want to know what I should specifically look for and what materials I should look for in keeping it secure. Any advice would be very appreciative.

We currently compete with a YS640 on a comp cart and a Humphreys Battle Box. We use a 12x7 enclosed trailer which doubles as a prep or sleeping area with cots/tables. I highly recommend going with an enclosed trailer as it will allow you to feel confident about the security of everything you have as you are traveling.

Plan to see the forest through the trees, get a toy hauler. After all the arduous set up, tear down, over packing and miscellaneous gear needed, I didn't get a toy hauler because my Humphreys Pint fits into the bed of my truck and I tow a 19 foot travel trailer. A buddy has a couple Assassins, the GF and Grill, and he got a beautiful 18 foot toy hauler.

Talk about easy peasy. Pulling up to a comp all I have to do is drop the trailer, pull the pit out and I am set up pretty much. Stocked and ready to roll. There is no option better than having this kind of set up for comfort and convenience. AND it was an easy idea to sell the wife on for camping and travel, win win.

Light weight option

I am blessed with a crossover that can only haul 1500#
So attached is how I went.. Certainly not as secure as an enclosed trailer but lock on tongue and lock on Tail gate ought to keep things secure due to weight and interlocked nature of cargo.
Not shown.. boat winch mounted on front tongue to make loading and unloading easy though it is simpler to just drop ramp and cook on trailer.

Alumina 63 x 120 #400 Just under $1000
yoder 1500 #650-

Also 3 -4; tables
1 6 foot table
one battery /inverter box #130
tent # 65
Frames for pull out drawers on front.. drawers go in car

Room left for coolers, weber bowl or wsm
Makes weight.. trailer could do #2000.

Attachments

• IMG_20160918_082158-480x642.jpg
    IMG_20160918_082158-480x642.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20160918_082208-480x642.jpg
    IMG_20160918_082208-480x642.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 115
I bought a small enclosed trailer (5x10) used for $1100 that I haul my WSMs and Humphrey's Pint (~350 lbs) to contests in. Got a ramp for loading in and out and that's it.

My next step will hopefully be a porch trailer or toy hauler (if I can convince the Mrs). It's tough loading a heavy smoker in and out when the humidity and heat are high but it works all the same.

Look for a small cargo trailer on Craigslist or on your local BBQ forum. You usually can get on at a good price this time of year. You are gonna want something enclosed if you compete in the Midwest.

Oh man thanks guys for the feedback. I'm super excited to throw my hat into the competition circuit in May. I know this can be a very expensive hobby but I am on a budget so I'm thinking renting a enclosed trailer for the first year since I may only be able to do 6 or 8 comps. Renting one from uhaul for 8 comps will be under $500 so unless I find a cheap used one it may make more sense to rent until I am able to attend more. Thanks for helping a brother out!

I also use an enclosed trailer. Mine is a 7 X 14 with drop down rear door. Keep checking local for good used one.

Back