It's FINALLY here: My BlueSmoke Offset Smoker!!!

HELL...YES! Been waiting for this post. Looks great. As for wood, if you have an ACE hardware or Academy nearby, you could buy some there if you're jonesin' to get a cook in this weekend.

Congrats man. Beautiful cooker.

Thanks you.

LOL...I only have a 2-seater sports car....so, can't really haul wood in it....

BUT I just got a load in this mornings.

So, hope to burn it in this week and cook next weekend!!

C

Nice eye

That's one 'helluva rig, brother... huge congrats! Looking forward to seeing some posts on what you put out of it. If those are empty kegs in the backgrounds shots, it's obvious you know how to through down a party. :nod:

Ah..you have a good eye!!

I also home brew beer....all grain home brew.

Those old kegs were part of my old system, that we used old kegs cut with a grinder to make a 2 and 3 tier gravity fed system.

This past summer I bought into the Spike Solo 15 gallon 240V electric system...and can now brew indoors along with the conical fermenter I got from them too. Really sweet set up.

I'm guessing between good beer and BBQ, I'll have friends dropping by more and more...especialy here during football season.

;)

cayenne

Yeah...

That is a great lookin' smoker!
Enjoy it.
Although I am perplexed as to why the firebox door latches from below.???

Yeah, that one caught me off guard too....but I don't see a problem.

The part it latches into had several slots so I can lock the door in place closed, or two levels of 'open' depending on my ventilation needs.

Ok, stupid question time....

Amazing rig there.

You do know you have to smoke a fatty on it first right?

Ok, stupid question time.

I'd been on this forum a LONG time ago....and kinda went dark from Katrina till now.

I recall the term "Smoking a Fatty", but I can't remember what it is exactly and how to do it...?

I think it has something to do, with opening a whole chub of breakfast sausage and stuffing/wrapping it with bacon or something?

Can someone fill in the details on that one please?

Thank you in advance,
cayenne

I'd been on this forum a LONG time ago....and kinda went dark from Katrina till now.

I recall the term "Smoking a Fatty", but I can't remember what it is exactly and how to do it...?

I think it has something to do, with opening a whole chub of breakfast sausage and stuffing/wrapping it with bacon or something?

Thank you in advance,
cayenne

No need to get fancy. The Fatty explained:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140058

Thank you in advance,
cayenne

Here is a very basic fatty recipe - with a bacon weave

https://www.smoking-meat.com/january-2010-bacon-wrapped-stuffed-sausage-fatty

Wood.....I GOT WOOD!!

Alright....just this morning, I got my guy I found here locally to drop me off a cord of wood.

It is local oak....

He apparently delivers to many of the local commercial BBQ joints (like Blue Smoke BBQ in the Mid-City area of New Orlean) among others.

He generally doesn't do to individuals....but he figured since he was already coming for a commercial delivery, I'd throw on some for me too.

I got it for $340....which if ya'll had seen my previous posts...was the BEST I could find...others were quoting me $650-$900.
:O

Anyway, this all looks good, and split sizes appear to be pretty decent....I'm guessing he cuts for the commercial folks and that's the type I got too!!

cayenne

Attachments

• IMG_9418.jpg
    IMG_9418.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 138
Alright....just this morning, I got my guy I found here locally to drop me off a cord of wood.

It is local oak....

He apparently delivers to many of the local commercial BBQ joints (like Blue Smoke BBQ in the Mid-City area of New Orlean) among others.

He generally doesn't do to individuals....but he figured since he was already coming for a commercial delivery, I'd throw on some for me too.

I got it for $340....which if ya'll had seen my previous posts...was the BEST I could find...others were quoting me $650-$900.
:O

Anyway, this all looks good, and split sizes appear to be pretty decent....I'm guessing he cuts for the commercial folks and that's the type I got too!!

cayenne

What's his definition of a cord? :)

I thought it was...

What's his definition of a cord? :)

I thought a cord was basically 3x4x8. ?

That rack in the back is 4x8....and I believe the splits are approx 18" long...so, double that is 3 feet?

It appears to me to be about right if I understand the "cord" definition correctly?

Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Yeah, that one caught me off guard too....but I don't see a problem.

The part it latches into had several slots so I can lock the door in place closed, or two levels of 'open' depending on my ventilation needs.

The bottom latch works by using the weight of the handle to hold the latch part against the stops, if that explanation makes sense. I think Phil designs it that way to prevent the handle from protruding out past the edge of the firebox, but not really sure.

That's the plan...

Its time to put that smoker to work. Get her Dirty

I'm hoping I can do that this weekend.

I think LA, however, has had a burn ban for awhile. I "THINK" there are exceptions for home grills, etc.....

I need to see what the deal with that is....

Also, I just found out the Barrett-Jackson Auction is here this weekend, and it is tempting to go drool over the Cobras and other cars I'll never own for a day Saturday.....

But anyway, at this point, I plan to try to fire it up and season it in this week.

I know I have a Prime Brisket in my freezer from Costco...so, will thaw and do that, and trying to figure what else to throw in there...maybe a chicken...they're cheap right now.

I'm also trying to concoct how to maybe do a version of Pork Carnitas in it....still playing with that in my head.

Anyway I'll post updates!!
:)

Thanks all!!
C

That rack in the back is 4x8....and I believe the splits are approx 18" long...so, double that is 3 feet?

cayenne

Cord is nominally 4' tall x8' wide x 4' deep. Hard to get the 4' deep with two stacks of 18" long splits. I don't know anyone who cuts 24" long splits. You did fine.

It appears to me to be about right if I understand the "cord" definition correctly?

Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

A cord 4'x4'x8'....128cuft. Down south, where ya be I've heard they have terms like "face cord" and the like and what that exactly is I couldn't say, but ya have yer cooker, got the wood and didn't pay $600-650 fer it so enjoy!!

-D

Back