Is this oak?

Yeah, I see now....the Purpleblow Maple (Acer truncatum). looks a heckuva lot like the oak (white) i just put up....could very well be.....

The Op pictures could be oak and he didn't capture the rays in the photo. Looking at your photos, I could only see rays in the last picture but I am assuming all of the wood photos are of the same species.

the last 3 pcs are Coastal; Red & the same Valley white, both oaks....the very 1st pic, the rays are so strong, they split.....

If you wet it, it will usually bring out more of the characteristic grain. Better yet, clean it up with a sander first.

Hope this helps.

The bark and grain seem to be consistent with Pine. When you say it seems to be hardwood, do you mean it is heavy or hard to split? If you have a saw and can cut it, you will know if it is pine.

Its for sure not pine ive burnt alot of pine in my days at campfires. Its heavy and hard to split

The second set of pics looks like hickory, perhaps.
I still think your OP pics are of oak, but if you burn a bit of it and the smoke smells like smoky sugar then it is maple.

This is fun...kinda.... But extremely flawed.

According to DNR websites, there are species of oak in Indiana that I've never seen, or heard of, in Alabama. And possibly no one outside of Indiana has seen either. And there's barely enough trees where I'm at in Illinois to even say there's trees. I climbed and trimmed power line right-of-ways for a year or so straight of high school, cleaned miles of fence rows for cash before that, and helped family cut/haul wood before that. So if it grows in Alabama I bet I know what it is.

But these "foreign" species of wood are hurting my head.

I'm pretty sure this is oak but I would like some help of the bretheren just to make sure.
Thanks in advance

Still waiting on clear pictures of the end grain. I posted a picture of what rays look like in the end grain of oak. Does the wood in the op have rays?

Also, considering where you got it, and the slightly orange coloring near the bark, the similarity to hickory, I'm thinking it may be almond. I've seen almond trees with smooth bark and others with bark like yours. Swing by an almond orchard nearby and compare cross sections, perhaps.

EDIT: Comparing to some of the woods I have, the OP's wood actually kinda looks like either sweetgum or pecan bark.

I'm no woodsman myself, but having grown up with 4 large pecan trees surrounding my house, I am almost certain that the bark is that of pecan in the OP's pictures. We are all waiting for newer pics, but I will take some in the meantime of our trees to compare with.

HOWEVER...I once mistook sweetgum for white oak...the bark was very similar...

EDIT: Comparing to some of the woods I have, the OP's wood actually kinda looks like either sweetgum or pecan bark.

I'm no woodsman myself, but having grown up with 4 large pecan trees surrounding my house, I am almost certain that the bark is that of pecan in the OP's pictures. We are all waiting for newer pics, but I will take some in the meantime of our trees to compare with.

HOWEVER...I once mistook sweetgum for white oak...the bark was very similar...

Does pecan grow that far north? It does look like it could be hickory which is related to pecan.

Also, considering where you got it, and the slightly orange coloring near the bark, the similarity to hickory, I'm thinking it may be almond. I've seen almond trees with smooth bark and others with bark like yours. Swing by an almond orchard nearby and compare cross sections, perhaps.

I dont think we have almond trees in Indiana

Back