Is this oak?

Oak smells like chili sauce (the red, ketchup like sauce) to me. We did a large barn in oak and all i could think about was my grandmother canning chili sauce.

Oh man..... You guys are gonna have to start collecting leaves with these samples.:doh:

Brown heartwood in a red maple split, very distinctive. Not the best pic, but the only one I've got in photobucket.

redmapleccarter2.jpg

Trying to determine tree species from bark alone can be very difficult.

Looks like some kinda wood, to me... Be interesting to see the inside - can you split a piece?

The bark & the core wood of the OP looks like the stuff I have.....not the best pic, I'll see if I still have any whole chunks to get pix.....
It's, I think, called valley white oak.....grows like weeds around here....all over the lowland where John Sutter's land was & on up into the foothills in the gold country......
Might not be exactly the same, as IND is a far stretch away, but could be a close relative maybe.....
The bark looks close......the way the actual wood looks appears even closer......

StuporBowl2012001.jpg

Yeah, here's the Quercus lobata on it.....epidemic to California.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_lobata

i did find a map of diversity of types of trees for where you're at....

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/misc/in98forests/webversion/images/figure10.pdf

Split cut with miter saw-

DSC04831_zps6feec92c.jpg

Other side of the same split cut with a chain saw-

DSC04833_zps6b3332ee.jpg

Different split-

DSC04840_zps07ce978b.jpg

The previous were all red maple.
This one is black maple-

DSC04846_zpsad64db60.jpg

It is not maple, it does not have the tell tale brown heartwood of maple.
I looked at your google search and saw at least one example of misidentified tree bark, is was an ash that someone thought was a black maple.
This is the site I use for tree ID, gives you pics of bark, flowers, fruit, twigs and other info.

http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/biglist_frame.cfm

Looking at the OP pictures again, there is some dark heartwood on the only two pieces that you can see the center growth rings.

Yeah, there is some darkish area there, but look at how thick & gnarly the bark is....an inch thick some places it looks like.....don't know, but it seems like the maples shown & others i've seen don't grow that rough & thick of bark............not sure now?

Jeffreywp1 are a lumberjack?

Not a lumberjack or very familiar with trees. I have been a woodworker for 14 years and familiar with lumber in general. Even more so with oak. I was laid off one summer and worked with a guy that tore down old barns for the lumber. Nearly all the barns where mostly oak and white oak was in high demand. You can't really tell the difference between red and white oak %100 of the time by looking at it after shaving a clean spot. I did some research and found sodium nitrite solution sprayed on the end grain would stain white oak and not so much on the red oak. So I spent a whole summer playing the game of "What Kind of Wood is This"

this is becoming some kind of weird form of "Know your cuts of Meat"

Here's a few pics, may help a little....can't get "plated pics" (fresh cut) as the table saw's too small & the chain saw's broke right now...

End of larger piece:

Pork7-27-2014012.jpg

3 smaller blocks cut to Chunk size for cooking....there's an inner bark, the three are showing most missing, all inner bark & mostly full bark, R to L.....

Pork7-27-2014007-1.jpg

Outer on the big piece:

Pork7-27-2014006-1.jpg

chunk next to Coastal Red oak ( the kind used for Santa Maria tri-tip) for comparison:

Pork7-27-2014010.jpg

Pork7-27-2014009.jpg

Pork7-27-2014008.jpg

Hope this helps some.......thinking most (maybe not all types) oak has pretty thick heavy bark..........

Yeah, I see now....the Purpleblow Maple (Acer truncatum). looks a heckuva lot like the oak (white) i just put up....could very well be.....

Back