Intervention at the grill: My attempt at saving meat from being blackened to a smoldering ember...

I don't get out much, so most of the time when I go to someone's spot to eat, the cooking is being done by Moose, Sako, silverfinger, Bigmista, Phubar, Tonybel etc. - so the only time I open my mouth is to shovel more food in. :whoo:

That was fun at the bash with 10 people using the smoker at once:clap2:

here i read this and thought i was the only one who has a wife that gives the you can not take over speech lol i have a tendency to take over grills i have a BIL that i just shove outta the way he is so bad i don't even let him light the grill and a friend who can turn pork tenderloin into what i can best describe its texture as somewhere around sidewalk chalk.

It's all perspective, I've been to parties where people rave about the bitter smokey undercooked brisket. Same cooker had mine and loved it, but doesn't bother listening to advice or suggestions.. oh well.

I think there is a happy medium between doing nothing and stepping in uninvited when you see things going awry. I have had some very well meaning people make "suggestions" to me in my kitchen or at the grill that were completely out of whack. My reactions have varied from smiling and nodding to telling them to fark off.

This thread needs some PICTURES!

burntchicken_zpsb0phjugr.jpg

Burnt%20Ribs2_zpstjwfm8qo.jpg

Burnt%20ribs_zpsbsgfbd0t.jpg

burnt-chicken.jpeg

Moose did you temp those meats? Look a little rare for my Mother in Law put them back on for a few more after all we dont want to get someone sick! She is banned from cooking at my house at all.

Moose did you temp those meats? Look a little rare for my Mother in Law put them back on for a few more after all we dont want to get someone sick! She is banned from cooking at my house at all.

We must have the same mother in law.

This picture doesn't even begin to do it justice. Distant relatives of my wife who added unseasoned chicken wings to a very hot electric hot plate with about a gallon of oil.

My kids were really small and they were like "daddy, we can't eat this, it's too yucky".

A man's Grill is his castle. Yes he may be all wrong but you have to weigh the situation. I agree the best route is to invite them over and show how it's done.

To different cases i've witnessed myself.

1. Father in law cooking on his grill would ALWAYS squeeze hambers with spatula constantly through cook (steaks too!). He was a very nice guy. My wife said he always did it that way but she liked my grillwork style better. But to keep to peace i never said anything.

2. my brother and i were going to one of his customer's house. The guy and his wife made all the sides we brought the wine and Steaks. These were the best dry aged prime NY strips we could get. I didn't take a close look when the guy started his grill. But i did see when he put $100 worth of steaks on. Forget oil the grill was so rusted some of the grates were rusted through! others were caked with rust 1/16 thick! It was sooo much rust! So much, it came off when he touched it with tongs. you could not see well in the dark, but when brought inside the rust was stuck to the meat! higher than the thick cracked blacked pepper! I cut 1/4 in. into the steak to miss the rust. Now i was fully planning on respecting the guys house and lack of skills / knowledge and eat my steak without 1/2 of outside rust crispy. But... the host (real ass to his wife by the way) looks at my plate and calls me a pussy! Says dont you know anything about Black a blue steaks! crispy on the outside tender on the inside. i could not hold it in i said i had not had a tetanus shot in a few years. To which his wife started laughing hysterically. She said to him " see i told you". His verbal attach on her was nothing short of abuse. By brother said something else to lighten the mood and we moved on. I never went back to that guys house again.

"Never touch another man's grill"
"a mans castle violation"
"keep your hands off my grill"

what is this bogus. are most men this insecure that they cant let somebody else help out what they have messed up? mind you if an absolute stranger showed up to my house and started correcting stuff yeah I would have a problem. But a good buddy? I mean come on.
you did the absolute right thing moose.

If you are a guest at somebody's house, accept their hospitality and don't be rude. If the food is that bad, stop on the way home and grab a burger. As somebody else said, invite them to your house and show them how it is properly done. Nobody likes the know it all house guest, even if they are 100% correct.

"Never touch another man's grill"
"a mans castle violation"
"keep your hands off my grill"

what is this bogus. are most men this insecure that they cant let somebody else help out what they have messed up? mind you if an absolute stranger showed up to my house and started correcting stuff yeah I would have a problem. But a good buddy? I mean come on.
you did the absolute right thing moose.

Yeah, I certainly don't have a problem with someone offering advice - provided it makes sense!

So . . . should I touch Moose's smoker at the SoCal bash in October?

Back