Intervention at the grill: My attempt at saving meat from being blackened to a smoldering ember...

All I godda say is, you did the right thing... I don't care who you are, if I godda eat your jacked up food, and you LEAVE THE GRILLING AREA for more than a few min, I'm watching like a hawk to make sure you don't screw up what I HAVE TO EAT.

My wife gives me the same little kid speech... "Now honey wah-wah-wah, wah,wah-wah,wah-wah..." Bah!
I politely (I know this post makes it sound like I'm incapable of it, but...) ask if there's something I can do to help, when the fella's gone for more time than I think is ok (i.e. grill is cranking at 450+* and it's been more than 5 min without a peek at those steaks, I make sure that I'm the one that saves everyone from a) a fire and potential saftey problem (and embarassment to the head cook) and b) my jaw from having to masticate on that crap.

Now when the fella decides to return, I promptly return the tongs and simply asks if he needs another beer... fella usually has no clue about what happened while he was gone... but I'm justa jerk too so...

wow - you walked up to his weber, opened the lid, flipped his food and changed his vent settings, are you his wife. what are you gonna do next, give him driving directions from the back seat of the car? maybe you'll give him advice for what his wife will like in bed. all are pretty much the same thing.

you were on the ground and can judge the situation best, but that's a major man's castle violation. i have on occasion offered to help with the grilling and sometimes it's accepted and sometimes it's not. i've had some success when i said they should socialize with their guest and i'd watch the grill for them.

grilling is one of the few things in life these days that a man has control over and it's coupled with the primal art of cooking over a fire. a lot of men don't care as much as we do here about how the food comes out, but it's the process they enjoy. you robbed him of the process. he now probably thinks you are overly anal and maybe into flower arranging and listen to ethel merrman and liza minneli (nttawwt)

unless the chef is ruining sashimi grade tuna. if that's the case i'd step in because a crime against nature was being committed.

Last edited:
I've learned the hard way never to touch another person's grill unless given permission first. One of the most difficult things for me to do is show up where an obvious rookie is cooking and not intercede, but I've finally learned to wait until they ask for my help or opinions before jumping in (and generally taking over).

When I run into situations like the one above I resign myself to making a meal out of the side dishes. Or stopping somewhere for a real meal on the way home...

I actually like a little black on my wings.. but just carmelized sauce.. not burned crispy chicken:)

I would never have the balls to touch someone elses grill though.. i woulda stood back and enjoyed the trainwreck:)

I'm going to say this because it needs to be said:

If you actually READ my post, you'll notice I stated very clearly this was someone I knew well enough to "intervene" with. Anyone else, I would have handled it differently. I'd also point out that YOU were not there, nor do you know either myself or my friend. While I have no problem with you or anyone else disagreeing with me, I DO have a problem with your sarcasm and holier-than-thou-attitude-it's neither productive nor appreciated. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

wow - you walked up to his weber, opened the lid, flipped his food and changed his vent settings, are you his wife. what are you gonna do next, give him driving directions from the back seat of the car? maybe you'll give him advice for what his wife will like in bed. all are pretty much the same thing.

you were on the ground and can judge the situation best, but that's a major man's castle violation. i have on occasion offered to help with the grilling and sometimes it's accepted and sometimes it's not. i've had some success when i said they should socialize with their guest and i'd watch the grill for them.

grilling is one of the few things in life these days that a man has control over and it's coupled with the primal art of cooking over a fire. a lot of men don't care as much as we do here about how the food comes out, but it's the process they enjoy. you robbed him of the process. he now probably thinks you are overly anal and maybe into flower arranging and listen to ethel merrman and liza minneli (nttawwt)

unless the chef is ruining sashimi grade tuna. if that's the case i'd step in because a crime against nature was being committed.

I'd take it as a learning experience if I were in his shoes. That's how me and my friends learn from each other. No need for feeling offended or insulted if my friend is willin to give me a few pointers to help my cooking. Props for stepping in and helping a friend in need out

If the wife and I go to party and they're grilling she talks to me like a kid. Stay away from the grill,don't say anything,don't look at the grill. When I saw a guy pull out a chimney fill it with match lite and place a weber cube under to start it. I said be careful got a cold one sat down watched the fire shoot 2 feet above the chimney. He wasn't a friend. :tape:

what...no lighter fluid? :doh:

There are times that you must step in no matter what. My wife had to do this at a friends cook. He was grilling marinated chicken pieces and then putting the finished ones back in the raw marinade.:shock: BTW, the guy is a doctor and runs a lab.

My son and I have those conversations when pork or chicken is on the grill. What he considers to be nice and juicy, I tend to think of as somewhere between raw and slimy.

Strangely, we have no arguments when doing beef. It cannot be too rare for either of us.

Just read your OP. Man been there many times... I think that's why I typically stay away from the grill area or kitchen whenever at someone else's gig. I see too many culinary travesties going on and it wears on my brain! :mad2:

Surprised no one has suggested telling him about this Site...it's AWESOME.....I considered myself a pretty decent qer till I discovered...learned sooooooo much more than bbq that when stove topping ill often slide CI pan off to one side to create cooler zone

There are times that you must step in no matter what. My wife had to do this at a friends cook. He was grilling marinated chicken pieces and then putting the finished ones back in the raw marinade.:shock: BTW, the guy is a doctor and runs a lab.

This would probably be the only time I would speak up. If the cool isn't going to poison me, or blow me up, I will just sit back and relax.

Back