Intervention at the grill: My attempt at saving meat from being blackened to a smoldering ember...

I love that avatar moose! It's the first one I've seen where the squirrel stands still and something else pops into view!:cool:

I love that avatar moose! It's the first one I've seen where the squirrel stands still and something else pops into view!:cool:

Yes, it's pretty cool. I had a little help from a mutual friend...:becky:

Can't be N8 cause then the moose would be licking the squirrel with an unnaturally long tongue.

Touching another man's kettle without permission could get you in real trouble in some backyards. Did he rave about the tri-tip?

I agree. A man's Weber is his Castle, you totally disrespected him. It's a wonder you didn't pull back a bloody stump after messing with his chit. I've lost friends that way....

Dave

I agree. A man's Weber is his Castle, you totally disrespected him. It's a wonder you didn't pull back a bloody stump after messing with his chit. I've lost friends that way....

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard
Though I appreciate the intent of your actions I just don't touch another's man's grill no matter how bad he's screwing up. "Correcting" a man on his own grill has caused a many of fights.

Again, I admire the intent of your actions but I would have simply not said a word and let him totally screw it up, as it sounded like he did anyway. :sick:

I appreciate what you are saying and agree, however, the individual is someone I know well enough to be frank about the situation with. I certainly wouldn't have intervened if it were a stranger...

Man what an idiot, If I knew you were at my bbq I would give you the tongs and ask if you could teach me, Well I read many of your posts to determine your quite good bbq'er.

Man what an idiot, If I knew you were at my bbq I would give you the tongs and ask if you could teach me, Well I read many of your posts to determine your quite good bbq'er.

Derek, I appreciate the compliment, especially coming from you. If you're ever in LA, you're welcome to a BBQ at my place anytime.

Derek, I appreciate the compliment, especially coming from you. If you're ever in LA, you're welcome to a BBQ at my place anytime.
No problem, Moose. And if I'm ever out west, that does sound like a plan, we could do a big block party.

Man I miss block parties.

I attended an event similar to this not long ago....My wife has to physically restrain me from taking over the host's grilling duties. I was so distressed at the way things were being cooked I excused the both of us and just left.( I know....crappy etiquette..:redface:)....but there was no way we were gonna stay and eat that farkin overdone,burned beyond recognition animal flesh!:mad:

Valiant effort buddy....maybe invite him over and have him help you grill ( as in stand there with the plate or something), he might pick something up seeing someone else do it.

I've had similar experiences in the past, luckily I have a cast iron gut, so I'll choke it down but, won't compliment, usually an invite over to my house for some beer and BBQ is made soon after. I find ways to get the offending cook in question to be at grill/cooker side and will do something similar to what they have cooked for me in the past. I've often found this does two things, either improves their cooking because they are paying attention or the next time I go over to their house they ask for my help with their cooking.
My FIL was one of those that always cooked beef to a dead grey shadow of it's formerly tasty self. Wasn't until I started cooking steaks for him that he realized it was okay for them to be atleast a little pink (still to overdone for me but, ehh.) Now, he is afraid to cook them this way so just asks me to do it for him. :laugh:

I applaud your efforts Moose. :clap: Good friends don't let friends make bad BBQ mistakes. :thumb:

If the wife and I go to party and they're grilling she talks to me like a kid. Stay away from the grill,don't say anything,don't look at the grill. When I saw a guy pull out a chimney fill it with match lite and place a weber cube under to start it. I said be careful got a cold one sat down watched the fire shoot 2 feet above the chimney. He wasn't a friend. :tape:

If the wife and I go to party and they're grilling she talks to me like a kid. Stay away from the grill,don't say anything,don't look at the grill. When I saw a guy pull out a chimney fill it with match lite and place a weber cube under to start it. I said be careful got a cold one sat down watched the fire shoot 2 feet above the chimney. He wasn't a friend. :tape:

THAT'S entertainment right there....

Dave

I just try to be quite. It takes some doing after a few cocktails. But I have 'helped' when things were going awry. Nothing to really write about unless you want to hear stories about the guy having to run down to the store for more chicken since the first batch was charred. I adjusted the intakes while he was out and batch #2 was great.

I missed this the first time around.

Although I appreciate your efforts and understand you KNOW the guy very well. At my house, I don't care who you are or how well you think you know me...keep your hands off my grills and smokers.

Of course I would have pulled the tri-tips at 140...

Back