THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If anyone wants some insanely cheap but high end steel, just google Eden Damast knives. European seller but they'll ship to the states. Damascus steel with a VG-10 core at an unreal price, but the downside is the factory edge is rubbish. If you don't mind putting in a bit of work to put a proper edge on them they are seriously good knives

I have been using Kiwi knives for a few years now.
The Chefs knife costs me 6 dollars ,great knives ,I just use a pull thru to sharpen them.
made in Thailand

I bought some after John's first post. They still work great - however, they did spend two years in a box while I was hospitalized. I recommend them.

Quality knives will last more than you lifetime. They will perform better, provide a better quality product and have a order of magnitude better service life.
As I said earlier in this thread- for a knife guy, this type of knife is the equivalent to boiled ribs for a BBQ nut.

Quality knives will last more than you lifetime. They will perform better, provide a better quality product and have a order of magnitude better service life.
As I said earlier in this thread- for a knife guy, this type of knife is the equivalent to boiled ribs for a BBQ nut.

Couldn't say it better. My daughter is in culinary school & her friend dropped out and I ended up with the full set of professional knives. Good lord, they are amazing and hold an edge like you would not believe! A good knife will ruin you forever.. Just like good BBQ.

Goose, Uncle Drew-
Yep, quality knives are great, but the purpose of this thread is to discuss Kiwi knives and what people think of them.

Like I said before, I love mine and keep two sets around. I catch my wife using mine all the time and it ticks me off.

I've bought these cheap knives from the $1 store and asian markets in the past ($3-$5 a piece). To be honest, I don't even know if they're worth that. The only reason people think they're sharp is because they're very thin, not necessarily sharp (big difference). The metal is so weak that they can go dull after cutting up a few veggies. What worries me the most is that a lot of my relatives use these and they become butter knife dull. Then I see how much force they use trying to cut veggies and trim meat, it can be scary.

If you want a cheap, work horse of a knife, get a $8-$10 chinese cleaver. They're in the same asian markets/china town. You can chop veggies, butcher and it will last so much longer than the kiwi knives I've had. I own a few expensive kitchen knives (some custom made), the cheap chinese cleaver is seriously one of the best deals. You can spatch cock a dozen chickens and it will still be sharper than a kiwi after a couple veggies.

I never want to be the guy that beats a dead horse, so this is about it for me on this topic.
If you buy these cheap assed knives you will be handicapping yourself. If you think they are good- you have either no kitchen knife skills or have never used a good knife. If you have interest in quality knife please stop by my forum- kitchenknifefora.com and we can sort you out to get some high performace knives at a resonable cost. The forum does not sell anything simply is a resource for aficionados and makers.

Would these be comparable to Victorinox? I know those aren't great either but for a cheap knife, I was very impressed with those.

Here I am late to the party again. My wifes cousin came to visit a few years ago and gave us 3 Kiwi knives as a present. I left them in the knife drawer for 4 months still in the original plastic. I couldn't throw them away for fear of hurting here feelings. One day I tried one and was amazed how sharp they were, The edge did not last as long as a quality knife but sharpened up again in seconds. Know I find myself often reaching past $2000 worth of my original knives to use the Kiwi knives. I know what a sharp knife is and as much as I want to be a knife snob I just can not throw them away.

Back