Adding an Airtight, Domed Grill Lid to the PBC for $20 With no Tools

NY Pork Junkie

Knows what a fatty is.
One thing I don't love about my PBC is the lid. It's recessed by 1", so if left uncovered, it becomes a little birdbath. My 1.5 year old cover isn't much help, it already leaks. Then I started thinking about the fact that a domed lid would give me enough height so that I could put a grate on the rebar and have room for 3 big pork butts. Then I started thinking about a daisywheel up top for cranking the heat on chicken for crispy skin. Then I came here hoping for an easy answer...

No luck. It looks like there is no out of the box solution to putting a 18.5 lid on a pbc. The weber lids won't work, nor will anything else with the exception of a vintage Kingsford lid one of the Brethren scavanged some years ago.

What to do? As I was searching for cheap 18.5 kettles that might fit, I came across a Masterbuilt on sale at my Home Depot for $18.98. At that price, I figured it was worth a shot. I got it home and it didn't fit. Is there a work around? Maybe. The easiest solution is a gasket. It's caveman simple. You squeeze some stuff out of tube, smear it on the grill, stick some fabric in there so it doesn't tear, and wait for it to dry. No welding necessary.

In this case, I can make a custom molded, fabric reinforced, room temperature vulcanizing silicone gasket. It'll good up to 550 F, will be flexible, durable, and should seal better than the stock lid mine came with. Caveman simple like you'll see.

Will it work? Damned if I know, but it's dead simple to do, won't take more than an hour of my time, and should cost about $20 including the grill (I already had some silicone, corn starch, and silicone glue handy; those ring in at about $5.)

Many years ago, I used to earn my money splicing industrial conveyor belts and making gaskets. I also had some experience working with a fun & cheap substance called "oogoo", which is a room temperature vulcanizing Type 1 silicone (water cure) that can be hand formed into any shape, and will cure solid in 2hrs at any thickness. You can make it for about $4.00/lb using the old school cheap as dirt $2.00/tube silicone and glycerine (drug store $3.00). If you don't have glycerine, corn starch will do fine. Time to make a gasket.

I know from experience that fiber reinforcement exponentially increases the tear strength of a gasket, and that silicone absolutely loves to stick to natural fibers. Time to cut up a cotton t-shirt to make my fabric reinforcement. It'll be completely silicone impregnated, so it should last at least a century. Now for the tricky part. Silicone sticks great to glass, ceramic, and natural fibers, and terrible to everything else. Oogoo is even worse. The solution is primer. The primer I'll be using is just a silicone adhesive with a favorable level of silanes that costs $3.00 per tube at Home Depot and is food safe & aquarium safe upon cure just like the Type 1 (water cure) silicone. Here we go:

Step 1: I cleaned the area where I would be applying silicone with some isopropyl alcohol I had in the medicine cabinet. Then I smeared the silicone adhesive all over the spots where the gasket is going to go. I put some electrical tape around top so that it will look slightly less terrible when I'm done. The adhesive says it takes 24 hrs to cure. That's a bummer, but silicone needs all the help it can get in sticking so that's all that can be done for today. So far I've spent about 10 minutes. Here is where I'll stop for the today. Tomorrow, I'll be making a single ply gasket that'll be adding excellent strength and tear resistance to my gasket.

fKJ6DWnl.jpg

kiv4Ps5l.jpg

h4rbqdYl.jpg

GWDjpOGl.jpg

awlESqwl.jpg

IAJqn2Ul.jpg

oCta4r0l.jpg

Here is one way I went about it. I was sent the onlyfire SS roti kit to review some time back that's made for Webers mainly. It worked on the PBC as well but there was a significant gap hence the foil in the pic. I was going to have some type of ring fabricated to seal/close the gap but I found myself using the roti on my Jumbo Joe more and naturally abandoned the idea. This will give you the option of placing a second grate on the rebars plus the roti ring combined with the domed lid gives you significantly more room.

Great option! How well does the PBC handle the extra airflow when the ring is in but the roti is out? Do you seal the shaft holes up with something?

I only used it with the roti in place and it handled the flow very well. I used circle magnets from Lowe's to close up the rebar/exhaust holes to completely direct flow up through the daisy wheel. I don't see a problem with running it w/out the shaft in place. It'll probably run at a little higher temps but wouldn't hurt anything IMO. Perhaps even just close the daisy wheel completely and use the shaft holes as exhaust. Main thing to do is fabricate some sort of a ring or something to cover the gap where the roti ring attaches to the top of the barrel.

Looks interesting. May want to use high temp silicone or check the temp rating on it.

Fair point, but I've never seen a silicone rated lower than 500 degrees. It's frequently used for casting molten zinc, and has is commonly used in oven applications. My PBC never gets north of 350, and even then the metal is coolest part. It's pretty thin metal, and the ambient temp is never over 90 degrees in my neck of the woods. I don't think I could even boil water on my lid! Also, lots of folks use plastic magnets for covering up airholes on their PBC for years and they last for yearss so the silicone should be totally fine.

Last edited:
Good news & bad news.

Good News: The silicone adhesive is totally unnecessary. I did a test strip of the plain Type 1 RTV silicone on the porcelain enamel finish to check adhesion and it stuck unbelievably well. Probably somewhere over 100psi. It's not possible to get it off.

Bad News:
That's going to make the gasket a tiny bit trickier. It will be necessary to cover the PBC rim itself in plastic so that the gasket doesn't stick to it. Easy enough to do with plastic wrap.

Good news & bad news.

Good News: The silicone adhesive is totally unnecessary. I did a test strip of the plain Type 1 RTV silicone on the porcelain enamel finish to check adhesion and it stuck unbelievably well. Probably somewhere over 100psi. It's not possible to get it off.

Bad News:
That's going to make the gasket a tiny bit trickier. It will be necessary to cover the PBC rim itself in plastic so that the gasket doesn't stick to it. Easy enough to do with plastic wrap.

Al foil might form better. I know others have used it.

Just to clarify, I meant the rim of the PBC would need plastic wrap just for the 24hrs that it takes for the gasket to cure in place. After that it's fine.

My point is that I've never had plastic wrap stick when it's most important. Foil shapes it's self and clings, for me, when working with silicone. You can also spray foil with Pam, to make double sure, without it blowing away.

Back