THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I got my Kiwi knives yesterday (great service from The Wok Shop, by the way). Man, these things give a whole new meaning to "scary sharp". They are basically razor blades with handles.

KiwiKnives_1_1.jpg

I'll put them through a quick trial and post a review this weekend.

John

P.S. I apologize for the craptastic picture.

Can't wait to hear how they work...

Mine came in the mail today too.
They certainly are sharp!
Can't wait to cook something so I can see how they work.
First impressions: They are not heavy, which isn't necessarily bad. The wood handles hold the blades nice and tight and they feel good in the hand. Heck, all four knives for $20 including shipping, even if they suck in the kitchen they'll be fine for use in the garage.

I got mine Friday. I think I ordered like Tuesday, so 5 stars on fast shipping! They are sharp. the cleaver has a full "tang". the other only go into the handle about 2 inches or so. The middle knife and the paring knife have pretty thin blades that you can bend from side to side. As you can see in the pic, there is a pretty obvious "secondary" bevel on the blades that is maybe 3/8" wide. Then the "edge bevel" after that.

Have not had opportunity to use them. They are definetely cheap, but perhaps better then some wally world knives? I'm anxious to use them to see how long they maintain their edge and how easy they are to re-sharpen with a steel etc.

Last edited:
I also use knives from Sams Club. They are inexpensive but seem to be a good knife. I'm not a knife worshiper so as long as it remains sharp for a reasonable amount of time I'm happy

I bought a cheap, heavy, forged cleaver (probably $10-$12) at one of the big box stores. I have a knife sharpener close-by that keeps it sharp for me. Works fine for me, but then again I use my cleaver for hacking up chicken.
I use my Ghurka Khukri knife as a cleaver makes chopping up chicken a breeze. The added plus is the coolness effect LOL.:wink:

As promised, here is my initial review of the Kiwi knives.

-----

KiwiKnives_1_2.jpg

I'm a self-admitted knife freak. I love the smell of sharp steel in the
morning. My usual blades are Japanese Global knives. They are brutally
sharp, feel great in your hand, are solid stainless steel, and hold an edge
very well.

KiwiKnives_1_4.jpg

Recently I've read quite a few reviews that sing the praises of Kiwi knives.
Last week I read this review, and it prompted me to see what all the hype
is about. I ordered the 11" blunt "meat knife" and the paring knife from The
Wok Shop. Including shipping, they cost me $10.90. Yes, you read that
correctly. They were $3.95 and $1.95, respectively, plus shipping. I
ordered them Tuesday afternoon and they were at my door Friday, so I
give kudos to The Wok Shop for their prompt service.

Having read about the incredible sharpness of these knives, I was more
than a little curious when I tore open the box. Now, for just shy of $11 to
my door, I was not expecting all that much. Man, these things take "scary
sharp" to a whole new level. They are like razor blades with handles --
seriously. You hear about "knives you can shave with", well, these things
should have "Gillette" stamped on them. I'm not intimidated by knives, but
these made me pay very close attention to what I was doing.

As for the quality, I will say that, along with the sharpness, I was surprised
at how thin and flexible the blades are. Most knives have a taper from the
tip to the heel. Well, these are clearly stamped out of a flat sheet of
stainless steel, so there is no taper, which brings me back to my comment
about them being like razor blades with a handle. They are very light and
feel comfortable in my hand.

I put the knives through some trials this weekend and I am very pleased so
far. Of course, one weekend of cooking is clearly not nearly enough of a
workout to gauge the overall quality and usefulness of anything in the
kitchen. I will continue to use them and report back in a few months with
my final verdict.

-----

John

As promised, here is my initial review of the Kiwi knives.

I put the knives through some trials this weekend and I am very pleased so
far. Of course, one weekend of cooking is clearly not nearly enough of a
workout to gauge the overall quality and usefulness of anything in the
kitchen. I will continue to use them and report back in a few months with
my final verdict.

John

John. we cannot wait months... Go to the shop and get a bolt, wood, something... Take the knife and try to saw thru it, I am talking damage, then cut a Tomato, sharpen if needed and report back. They are so cheap and if really so good, a simple test like this will be very helpful to those of us thinking about buying a couple. Razing you but really would like to know. :icon_devil

John. we cannot wait months... Go to the shop and get a bolt, wood, something... Take the knife and try to saw thru it, I am talking damage, then cut a Tomato, sharpen if needed and report back. They are so cheap and if really so good, a simple test like this will be very helpful to those of us thinking about buying a couple. Razing you but really would like to know. :icon_devil
He's here in the lounge all week, folks. Try the veal, and don't forget to tip your waitstaff. :-D :wink:

John

Kiwi

Just ordered a few of the kiwi knives. I ordered one of the paring knives just to abuse and see how well it will hold up. I'll post the results when I get em.

I ordered a couple of these knives but they haven't arrived yet. Anyone have any new reviews on them.

I'm looking forward to getting them. For the price, it sounds like I can get 3 or 4 sets and get plenty of use out of them.

That's good to know. I have to keep my cutlery away from the wife and daughters as they can screw up an edge faster than a cat can lick his paws.

I use Globals as my Kitchen knives, this is more a choice about balance than steel, I could buy many good German knives with steel of the same quality but I like the feel of the Globals and I admit I like the way they look. My Q knives are a mixture of Victorinox and F. Dick both forged and made in Germany. Being British I'd have loved to buy Sheffield steel knives, I'd even have paid a premium to support British industry, but frankly they aren't as good. My Globals were expensive, my Dick knives were very reasonably priced and are very very good (better than Richardson of Sheffield for price and quality). I think that you have to pay a certain price for quality but at a point you start paying for the recognised brands, going for companies that sell more to professionals than consumers will get you better value but they won't be as pretty.

Back