THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The kamado design is hundreds of years old. A friend from high school has one of the early clay imports and it's still in use (for low-n-slo cooks only). Ceramic construction was a vast improvement over the clay ones, and there are many ceramic brands to choose from. The Keg and Chargriller have kept the proven design, just went another option for material.

I do ike the guarantee that comes with most ceramic cookers and there is a certain following and confidence that comes with them too. That said, Even though I'm a 9 or 10 year Egg user, I would like to actually cook on one of the metal skin kamados before saying anything bad about them.

I know two guys that are looking close at them.

I have not seen the akorn, but I have over 10 years of bbq bliss with my BGE. It's pricey, but consider the $$ I've saved over that time span because of its efficiency. The customer service is great and it has a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. The firebox bowl insert on mine cracked and they sent me a new one, no prob, just paid shipping. They have an excellent egghead forum and a legion of dedicated eggheads. Can't see anything 'killing' the BGE. So, if you consider the savings, warranty, year round all weather cooking you will enjoy and just the overall quality of the egg, hands down the BGE wins IMO. I'm not speaking ill of bubba kegs, akorns or other similar kamado style cookers, to each his own, but I am saying I would not consider buying anything other than a Green Egg, regardless of price. It pretty much does it all.

I've never owned a BGE so please excuse my ignorance. Can they be cracked by a thrown rock from a lawnmower? Can they still be used after being cracked?

I have to laugh at this. Years back I was employed as a delivery driver for a lumber yard. I was carrying a 4x8 piece of plywood into a customers house when a lawntractor in their front yard kicked a large rock into my kidney, dropping me to my hands and knees in pain. The lady of the house ran out saying "OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD,---- IF YOU HADN'T BEEN THERE THAT ROCK WOULD HAVE GONE RIGHT THROUGH MY PICTURE WINDOW, OH MY GOD!"

I doubt that this is a BGE killer. and don't think one is needed. I haven't cooked with a BGE, but as a grill for my wife and I the Akorn has been great. I'm almost ashamed to admit that my beloved Performer has not been used since I got t!he Akorn back in March. The only upgrades I've made is buying a 16" pizza pan for a diffuser and a grate to hold it.

The reason I had no problem shelling out the money for the egg was due to a friend who has had his since the 70s and still cooks on it every week. I saw the akorn grill at Lowes and I don't see it lasting that long.

The reason I had no problem shelling out the money for the egg was due to a friend who has had his since the 70s and still cooks on it every week. I saw the akorn grill at Lowes and I don't see it lasting that long.

BGE was established in the mid 90s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Thermapens work better on Big Green Eggs...

I'm interested in getting me one of those Acorns. But it will have to wait until I get a BGE.

Um, the Akorn will last longer at my house. I'd have that Egg shattered within a year I'm thinkin'...:shock::roll:

Larry's met me. He can attest. He saw me trip over NOTHING on a flat, clean, parking lot once...

The Chargriller kamado killed my lust for a BGE. I saved big bucks and I think I got a more versatile cooker. I love this thing.
3-12-12014.jpg

After doing an all day cook on mine today, I love mine. I sealed up the vent with RTV caulk and it was easy to control the temps after that. I can not wait until I connect my Ique 110 to it.

I've seen some posters here that seem concerned about how fragile the BGE is because of the ceramics. They will break of course, but they are durable IMO. As long as they are set up securely to prevent tipping I don't see a problem. They are made really well.

No complaints with mine. No mods. First run was ribs, my first ever. held 225 without a twitch, even if the vent was almost closed down on top. Turned out great.
Did some mac and cheese last weekend, same thing.
Only issues I have had a the same with all of that style, if you let the temps run away, you have a hard time bringing them down.

Fantastic grill. Bought for the cabin to have kinda a cheap all in one solution. Gonna have a heck of a hard time leaving it up there now.

I have had mine for a couple of months now. I just love it. I have only cooked low and slow once on it but it did very well. I have grilled on it about 12-15 times now. If I need to smoke I usually just use my UDS since it has more space. If I want to do 1 pork butt, brisket flat or pork tenderloinsI'd fire up the Acorn. It is just so effecient on fuel and easy to control temps

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's opinions thus far on the CGK. I finally stopped by Lowes yesterday to take a look at one in person and I was surprised at the size of the thing. It's pretty big and built better than I thought it would be (or at least built better than any other Char-Griller smoker or grill that I've seen or owned).

The floor model was actually put together pretty well as only one of the bolts in the lid hinge were loose. From the pics I had seen online I hadn't noticed that there's three hooks on both side tables and a little clip to hang the grate remover. Call me easy to please, but I find little things like that to be pretty dang cool on a cooker this cheap.

I've never been a Char-Griller fan, but I think they finally hit it out of the park with the CGK. Also, I no it's not ceramic, but I don't see why it wouldn't last as long as any other cooker as long as it's taken care of. BTW, are there any differences in overall build quality from when they were first released and called the King Griller?

I know that I originally passed on one at Gander Mountain a few months back because it looked like it was gonna fall apart. In hindsight I now realize that it was probably due to the poor rush job of the guy who threw it together. Oh well. I think I'll grab one sooner than later to replace the Weber OTG. :wink:

Back