Inheriting a trailered offset smoker

CErnst

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Corey
Been a while since I've been around. I started out years ago with a UDS that a good co-worker gave me when one of his team members left. I've gotten pretty good at using that. I've figured out Brisket, whole chicken, turkeys, Salmon, pork shoulder of course.

This weekend, we went down to TX for a celebration of life party for a great guy. One of the best examples of what a person could be. His widow convinced my family, who convinced me, to accept a smoker that the guy had. The widow's father made it and gave it to her husband. Now that he's gone, no one in the family knows how to run it or is interested in it. So now I am scheduling a return trip to pick it up and work on fixing it back up. Once ready, we'll get the family's input on a proper name and likely some kind of memorial.

Wife and I talked, we thought about creating something about previous owners, something that won't succumb to the elements. Don't want to be cheesy, but fully aware this thing may outlast me (I've already had a bout with Lymphoma in 2020), would be a neat thing to keep going.

Needs a thorough cleaning, need to check bearing on the trailer, re-season...and figure out how to run this behemoth. Been watching some youtube on fire management. This will be interesting! Definitely will have to start wood searching again!

Attachments

• messages_0 (1).jpg
    messages_0 (1).jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 553
That looks very cool and sounds like a fun project and a great way to keep their memory alive. Can't wait to see/hear more about your adventures with this

That's gonna be a lot of fun to play with. I hope you get to hand it down too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What is involved in getting something like that licensed and street legal?

In the midwest, trailers seem to be licensed based on size and function I believe. My trailer smoker doesn't require a license, just has to have functional trailer lights to make it legal. Boat trailer same thing.

If he's in Missouri, probably nothing. For smokers, the state doesn't require them to be titled or have a license plate

Yeah, on MO side. Haven't looked into license stuff yet. We are going to load on another trailer. Also getting an old Allis Chalmers mower with a bucket loader....same thing, fix it up.

That looks like a couple of intense projects that will end up being a labor of love. Good luck with the work ahead and looking forward to your future enjoyment.

Sad how you got it but what an awesome project
Interesting on the trailer Laws,

Congratulations on that new Rig!

I know what it is like getting a smoker from someone who passed away, and it was their pride and joy.
I got my "Dream Smoker", a BX 50 from a woman who's husband had it for about 12 years. It was his "Dream Smoker" and she really hated to part with it, but did not want it just sitting and going to waste. She was having a hard time letting it go, and wanted it to be owned by someone who would Love it as much as He did. Many had tried to "low ball" her ask, but I know the Smoker and was willing to meet her ask. She knew that it was going to someone who would Love it, and care for it the way He did.
I proudly put a sticker on in in His Honor and Memory to show her, and everyone else, that I respected what it meant to Him, and how Proud I am to keep it cooking!
Being an Insulated cooker I was not worried that it would come off.

It is Humbling when you get a Smoker from someone who Loved their Rig, especially after they passed away. I just hope that when the time comes the same will be done to pass it on to the person I want to see continue this one.
Although I hope that will be quite a LONG Time!

Congratulations on that new Rig!

I know what it is like getting a smoker from someone who passed away, and it was their pride and joy.
I got my "Dream Smoker", a BX 50 from a woman who's husband had it for about 12 years. It was his "Dream Smoker" and she really hated to part with it, but did not want it just sitting and going to waste. She was having a hard time letting it go, and wanted it to be owned by someone who would Love it as much as He did. Many had tried to "low ball" her ask, but I know the Smoker and was willing to meet her ask. She knew that it was going to someone who would Love it, and care for it the way He did.
I proudly put a sticker on in in His Honor and Memory to show her, and everyone else, that I respected what it meant to Him, and how Proud I am to keep it cooking!
Being an Insulated cooker I was not worried that it would come off.

It is Humbling when you get a Smoker from someone who Loved their Rig, especially after they passed away. I just hope that when the time comes the same will be done to pass it on to the person I want to see continue this one.
Although I hope that will be quite a LONG Time!
Yep, pretty much same situation. Husband loved it, had plans to get it going again, even had some supplies ready...but fate intervened. we've offered some money for it, but she won't take any. She just wants to come visit when it is ready and have some BBQ off it. Going to do my best.

Warms my heart to know i got a nice "neighbor". Thing hopefully won't outlive either of us.

...If ya every need any pin oak for him, just flash the hog symbol towards the northern metro-east, bud

Warms my heart to know i got a nice "neighbor". Thing hopefully won't outlive either of us.

...If ya every need any pin oak for him, just flash the hog symbol towards the northern metro-east, bud

Ha! I just might. I have a giant oak that lost a big portion....burned most of it up last fall. Still have some big chunks to work with. I've been running around looking at all the wild bradford pears growing like weeds...even started looking at platt book online to see who owns property. Been thinking about how to contact the right MoDOT person to cut a few down in medians...saw some big ones coming up from my last TX trip.

I did reach out to MO DoR about if a smoker needs a license plate or not. they cited that since it is purpose built and not meant for hauling property around, no plates needed. Booya!

Back