THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JohnH12

Full Fledged Farker
I'm a wood and charcoal guy who got rid of the gasser several years ago. Now the wife wants an inexpensive propane grill so she can throw something on when we don't have time, the wx is too bad, or I just don't feel like it.
My local stores are Home Depot, Lowe's, and Ace.
She doesn't want anything too big so it seems like either a Nexgrill or Charbroil 3 or 4 burner will fit the bill for around $200~$300. Weber's are nice but a bit too much IMO.
Also looks like anything with infrared or a sear burner demands a higher price. I also don't really know what they offer over a regular gasser.
It's sit in a covered screen room by the pool and doesn't have to last 100 years either.
Looking for some opinions on these two manufacturers.

I have never owned a CB gasser but I have cooked on them. If in your shoes, there is no doubt in my mind that I’d be looking on CL for a well kept Weber Genesis. A Weber will run circles around a CB in overall performance and quality. Sorry if this does not answer your immediate question, but I have a good feeling you are going to get the same answer from many of the Brethren :)

Not sure how big of one you need, but I picked up a charbroil 3 in 1 last year, and it is pretty nice. I haven't actually used it for grilling, but it does come with a grill top. Does a great job on turkeys and whole chickens. Only complaint I have, is once it is hot, you can't remove the wood chip tray. The metal expands, and you can't even pry it out.

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-T...=1533913717&sr=8-3&keywords=char+broil+3+in+1

Check out the Huntington brand. It is Broil King's budget line. Cast aluminum fire box, WAY better quality than the others you are looking at. The one I got at Lowe's a few years back was a 3 burner main with a side burner for $249.

Just saw that Ace has a 3 burner Broil Mate for $199. Same as the Huntington. Again, head and shoulders better quality than CB or Nexgrill.

Check out the Huntington brand. It is Broil King's budget line. Cast aluminum fire box, WAY better quality than the others you are looking at. The one I got at Lowe's a few years back was a 3 burner main with a side burner for $249.
Agree. I would stay far far away from both Char Broil or Nexgrill.

Thanks for the info folks.
I didn't consider the Broil King line because I've never heard anything about it.
Looks like Ace and Lowe's carry the Broil King line which seems to be the more expensive.
Ace also carries the Broil Mate for less so it must be the economy line.
This is also a check to see if she'll really use it. If it just sits there then there isn't a big investment.
If she wears it out then I can get points by buying a better one like the Weber.

I also wanted a gas grill for short notice cooks. I found a cheap used weber Q1000 on Craigslist. Works great the few times I use it each year.

WeberQ2200LidOpen.jpg

I have a cheapo Char Broil 4-burner-plus-side-burner that I picked up at Wally World a few years back. It's perfectly adequate for when I just want to fire up instantly and cook something relatively quickly (steaks, chicken, burgers, hot dogs, brats, etc.). It definitely won't knock your socks off, but it'll do the job with minimal fuss, and it didn't break the bank.

It cooks a little too hot when I have all four burners on low. Usually when I want to cook something a little slower I have to turn off one or two of the burners and do it indirect. Which is a pain when I have more food than will fit in the space over those idle burners.

It's about time to replace the heat deflectors and the little piece of sheet metal that runs across all the burners at the front. That stuff rusts out pretty quickly. I haven't looked for parts for this one yet, but I've had a number of cheap gassers over the years, and it's usually pretty cheap and easy to refurbish them when they need it.

My advice is this... If you decide to go with a Weber, don’t low ball and get a Spirit. Stick with a Genesis.

The Spirts aren’t much better than a Char Broil. Perhaps a little better corrosion wise, I haven’t had mine long enough to know yet. I’ve only had it about a year or so and have already needed to replace the burner and the flavorizer bars, and that was due to corrosion. It does stay covered as it only gets used maybe twice a month.
Keep in mind, I’m a devotee or Weber. I own a Copper Top Performer, a basic kettle, and a WSM.
The Spirit is just not up to Weber’s normal quality level.

All that being said, I’ve had several Char Broil gassers over the years and the performed adequately. No big stars, but no junk either.

VR,
Harold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A few extra $$ for the Weber will pay off in the long run - bought and replaced too many of the cheaper ones before my first Weber Genesis.

As above, have have you considered any of the Weber Q series?

We have a Weber Q2200 in the RV but she wants one just for the porch.
I know that Charbroil isn't a great grill but Lowe's has a 3 burner for $169.
I'll check at the base tomorrow to see if they have better prices.
Thanks for the inputs though.

I have a two burner Char Broil Infrared. I actually don't mind it. The worst thing is cleaning the infrared trays. But I figured that out now. Use oven cleaner on them and they come pretty clean.
Lowe's has them for $299, but I think they usually go on sale for Labor Day? Maybe?
I am glad I bought mine.

My advice is this... If you decide to go with a Weber, don’t low ball and get a Spirit. Stick with a Genesis.

The Spirts aren’t much better than a Char Broil. Perhaps a little better corrosion wise, I haven’t had mine long enough to know yet. I’ve only had it about a year or so and have already needed to replace the burner and the flavorizer bars, and that was due to corrosion. It does stay covered as it only gets used maybe twice a month.
Keep in mind, I’m a devotee or Weber. I own a Copper Top Performer, a basic kettle, and a WSM.
The Spirit is just not up to Weber’s normal quality level.

All that being said, I’ve had several Char Broil gassers over the years and the performed adequately. No big stars, but no junk either.

VR,
Harold

Got to call BS on that one Harold. A Weber Spirit would be Perfect for the application. I've had one that I paid $276 for about ten years ago. After much heavy use, I replaced the flavorizer bars burners. and porcelain enameled cast iron grills. Weber customer support treated me just like anyone with their high end stuff. Before this little Weber I had gone through about 5 other gassers you see out in front of the big box stores. This is the only one that has lasted.

We are in the same situation. Need a quick grilling on a week night, BAM and done.

Highly recommend one for this application.

ejyWhhZ.jpg

PS, I'll go against anyone on the steaks that it can do at HH.

tEiQZlX.jpg

kuwEbIA.jpg

RVvjzlc.jpg

Good Luck on your choice OP. :thumb:

We have a Weber Q2200 in the RV but she wants one just for the porch.

I know that Charbroil isn't a great grill but Lowe's has a 3 burner for $169.

I'll check at the base tomorrow to see if they have better prices.

Thanks for the inputs though.

Doubt they’ll have better prices than Wally World, unless the Navy Exchange (NEX?) is lower than the BX here at Moody AFB.

VR,
Harold

Back