In over my head here!

locolobo

is one Smokin' Farker
Ok guys, You very seldom hear me talk about cooking. That's because I don't do much. But the wife has thrown this at me. She's been cookin most of today and will be for tomorrow afternoon after Church until the big brouhaha At the daughters in the evening.

Prime rib, 5.6 lbs of it, $57 of it. Now I can cook a good steak and since PR is a buncha steaks that just don't know it yet, I've smothered it in EVOO cause she told me to and I do it to all my steaks. Then smothered it with McCormick Montreal steak seasoning Cause that's what I put on most of my steaks, then threw it in the fridge in a ziplock.

Now I know I could'a got the info somewhere else without typin a big, long message like this and makin Y'all have to put on your thinkin caps but what's the fun in that?
First things first. Anything I should do, or could do before kick off time? Next would be oven temp and cookin time. I and others prefer at least a little pink on the inside BUT there are others (Mrs. Lobo, She who I gotta please) who prefer boot leather texture and no sign that it had ever been alive. Is this possible?

If you guys can help me out I will write a glowing letter to Anne Landers telling her what a good bunch you are!

If you cook at a higher temp, the outside portions will be more well done than the inside. If ya end up with medium rare everywhere, take a fry pan, add some beef broth, add a slice of prime rib, warm for a bit on each side and you'll have a grey prime rib, no red whatsoever.

If you're cooking indoors I'd go 325°f until internal temp reaches 120°f. Tent it with foil and carry over will take it to a perfect medium rare.

+1 on au jus in a simmering pan for the people who don't like medium rare. Another tip of advice is to ask everyone how they like their prime rib before slicing. The ends are going to be done the most so i would serve mrs lobo the end pieces and slice accordingly to people who want medium so that when you get to the center the people who like medium rare get what they want.

One possibility is cook the first 30 min in a hot 450-500 degree oven for 30min then turn it down to 300-325 for the remaining time. don't open the oven. 5-1/2 lbs would be about 80 minutes for medium rare (130 degrees) ... add 10 minutes for medium (140 degrees) . Use a temp gauge... this is a summary of what I'm going to do but wil be watching a gauge and fine tuning. Rest 20-30 min. Too eliminate too much carryover cooking shoot for a bit lower temp than I indicated. Carryover will bring it up.

Have fun and good luck.

Back