THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I agree with smitty as this is will work most of the time. A lot depends on how seasoned the wood is. Not seasoned enough and you need smaller splits so the fire doesn't smolder. Too dry and it burns hot and quickly leaving you hardly any coals to help maintain temps and light the next stick. If you are adding a stick every 20 minutes you may need bigger sticks. Play with the size and see what works best in your cooker and temp you want.

Great point! I will get some wood tomorrow and try again.

Also, I am hearing cut the stack down and just learn to cook with it the way it is...don't know which way to go?

Here are some recent pics...

0b9ed49114deca8a7a610a5217d5aea3.jpg

515061f2ff512bfe47e63a0285261e61.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good luck..... keep plugging away and you will hit that sweet spot you like..... then you can walk away with the satisfaction that you built it with your on hands

Thanks Paul! I really do enjoy fabricating and thinking through things and this seemed like a fun project. I hope someday to be a part of the Shirley family but this will have to do for now :)

m-fine is right about the wood and the stack. Just get some hardwood and try it before doing anything else. The bed of coals will be much different.

Going to get hardwood today. Hopefully some oak. For those that use stick burners how much wood do they use per cook? Estimates?

I am an hour in and it is holding the temps around 260 middle of the grate furthest from firebox. Middle of the grate that is closest to the firebox is between 20 and 30 degrees hotter. I am happy with it so far!

Back