THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got "Franklinstein" 95% done today with my buddies help. I will post more pics once I figure out the hosting thing. It is ALL OVER THE BOARD! I have a digital thermometer in there now and have been checking every 10 minutes for the last 2 hours. There has been NO consistent readings the whole time. I have never operated a stick burner so I thought it would just get to temp and stay there like my UDS. Nope. Not at all. I think I will cut the pipe down a foot tomorrow and try again. The Feldons calculator says the pipe should be 16.14 inches and I have it at 57 inches right now. Seemed to be pulling pretty good when it was hot but every once in a while it puffs out the door. I think it is a draft issue. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hurry up and finish, it's 4th of July week. Fire that thing up. Looks nice.

I know I know. Never operated a stick burner before and am trying to figure it out with pine before I move onto oak and apple! I gotta figure out the draft issues too...I have a ton of people coming over Tuesday so I am on a time crunch here :doh:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209208

A stick burner operates in a temp range. Target temp +/- 25*. Say target temp is 275* (after establishing some coals be it charcoal or wood coals) you add a split at 250* it'll slowly climb to 300/310* and then slowly fall back to 250* and you add another split......every 30-45 minutes-1hr depending on the size of the pit and size of the splits.

That exhaust is not so Big as to affect draft n temps - I don't think. I'd cut it off at 24" for looks.
What does firebox to cook chamber look like? Size of hole? Baffle? Deflector plate?

Firebox is 22" is diameter and 24" long. Cook chamber is 19.75 in diameter and 62" long. The firebox is offset from the middle a bit towards the back. The hole is sort of half moon. It is 15" wide and 4 or 5 inches tall. It is more of an elipse shape. No baffle or deflector plate.

How much charcoal do people use as a base? I only used 1 charcoal starter chimney full.

1 chimney of charcoal should be good to get it started with 2 or 3 splits. Then once it settles down to your desired temp and exhaust is clear you can add food. Then add a stick every 30-45 minutes.

1 chimney of charcoal should be good to get it started with 2 or 3 splits. Then once it settles down to your desired temp and exhaust is clear you can add food. Then add a stick every 30-45 minutes.

Yup! That's what I have read about and have seen here and there. When you say "stick" how big of a split is that? I tried the above today and felt like I was adding an eighth of a log every 20 minutes or so. Again, I am burning pine to practice. I am going to try again tomorrow. Monday I am going to buy some post oak if I can find it. Maybe some apple too. This stick burner thing is way more difficult than I expected....

Should I cut a deflector plate? I had the probes in potatoes and they generally were about 40-50 degrees different at 3 feet apart. But when adding a split, the side closest to the firebox would spike at around 100 degrees higher than the other side.

Forget the pine and burn some Oak. Splits are generally 16-18" long and about the diameter of 1.5 coke cans.......

Back