THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clay-b-que

is Blowin Smoke!
Let me start off by saying I love my UDS, so much so, two years ago I searched out a propane tank to try to build a bigger up right UDS ala bumshuckalucka (notice the two holes in the first pic near the exhaust side they were where I actually welded in the screw off caps for a stand up UDS). I was able to acquire a used air compressor tank for free. I started the build last summer and made it upright and cut the door and then let it sit. Last week we went to see my Mom in Texas to go to the beach to spread my Dads ashes and flew into Austin first. We got off the plane at 9:30 and I said I wanted to go to Franklins, so we went. We got there about 3/4 into the line and had a 3 hour wait. We waited and then had the best brisket and sausage I have ever had in my life (we also had the turkey, pulled pork and ribs but my wife and I both thought it was too vinegary and that my turkey, pork and ribs were better)! I got a chance to talk to Aaron about the pits and turning my tank into an offset. I asked a ton of questions and took a ton of pictures after having a tour of the pits and proceeded to plan my build for the rest of the time I was in Texas. Fast forward to the last two days and here is where I am at...

Franklins Q:

IMG_1440_zpsplxf3o54.jpg

A few shots of the pit...yes I know the exhaust pipe is big...I did that on purpose and will cut it down depending on draft...

IMG_0061_zpslgmhal76.jpg

IMG_0059_zpsxviogcfy.jpg

IMG_0060_zpskaqyyxzq.jpg

Last edited:
What pic hosting did you use posting these pics?

Photobucket somehow...just read the thread and glad mine are posting...sad day for the bretheren...hope we have a self hosting service soon. Honestly I don't post pics too much because it is a hassle to upload to a secondary site and copy and paste...call me lazy I guess...

I put some high temp silicone around the inside of the strap on my door to stop so much air loss. It still leaks Smoke but I'm not worried about it. When it's clean and clear you don't see it!

Back