I'm going to need a crane....

Roll it through the house?? In the front door & out the back? Plywood on top of blankets to protect the floor.

Just rent the rite size forklift with extensions to the forks, add a couple of chains and you are good to go.

I actually got a quote for $450 from a crane company. It's not uncommon out here. They do it frequently with HVAC stuff and hot tubs.

My father runs a 18 ton crane mounted to a Kenworth tractor and sets Hot tubs in back yards and on 2nd story decks all the time. His truck doesn't leave the shop for less than $400, so I'd say you're quote is pretty legit.

I hire crane operators all the time. $450 in your area is a common minimum charge.
By the time you pay to have a Grade All delivered and picked up you are into it for that $ and have to do it yourself. There are a couple of smaller crane guys around that may do it cheaper. Sign installers have smaller stinger lifts and may do it cheaper but probably not much.

The wall is a 6' brick wall. Looking at the gate I might be able to cut it back 9' on each side and put in a 4' door. It would be tight but might work.

If it's a cinder block wall, I would imagine the cost of taking down a section of wall and then putting back up would be less than 450, although I'm not sure if it's the same where you live.

I'm going to make some calls today.

Once I know the exact width of my smoker I'll have a better plan of attack.

Looks like widening the gate would be $2000 - $2500 if I do a bonded/insured contractor. Waiting to hear back from Tyler about making the cooker fit through the 30" opening.

There was a video online of a guy having his LSG Vertical Offset Smoker lifted into his backyard by a crane. Just spent five minutes looking for it to no avail.

I'm

with Bludawg on this one. Same thought came to my mind........call a Tow Truck/Wrecker Service. Even their smaller 1 ton trucks have extendable booms. Wouldn't take much for it to back up to the wall off of Maple Dr. and hoist and drop it over the wall. Might tear of some of the landscaping, but if the landscaping is your/or your responsibility (easement), they would probably do it for a lot less.

OR, if you happen to find someone in the area getting an AC unit lifted, the operator might do a quick side job for some extra money. A buddy of mine works for a large AC company locally......he gets calls from smaller company AC guys all the time to lift units. He does it on his lunch hour and makes some quick side money all for himself. ($100 bucks a pop and gets 4-5 calls a week.) He shouldn't be doing it.........but, Oh Well. His choice ultimately. Same thing for tow truck operator. Could ask one in the area if he'd do it. At the very least, he could tell you if it would be possible using a tow truck.

Bob

I use this guy now and then his rates start at $90 per hr. 2hr minimum + travel, you might save a little

A&A crane Lake Elsinore 951/678-6250

450 seems high .. in Phoenix crane usually around 100.00 per hr something like that slam dunk. check other crane service.. but being in Cali. maybe that much more ?

Back