I learned something yesterday.

Blue Rhino tanks have 15#'s. From the FAQ on their website:

http://www.bluerhino.com/Help/FAQ/Tank-Exchange#FAQLink135

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Inflationary pressures, including the volatile costs of steel, diesel fuel, and propane, have had a significant impact on the cylinder exchange industry. In 2008, to help control these rising costs, Blue Rhino followed the example of other consumer products companies with a product content change. We reduced the amount of propane in our tanks from 17 pounds to 15 pounds.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To ensure our consumers are properly notified, Blue Rhino clearly marks the amount of propane contained in our tanks, right on the package.[/FONT]
Check around your area as the pricing model for propane refills varies somewhat. Some places will charge flat rate price while others will charge by the pound/gallon.

Pound/gallon is where it gets a bit confusing. A gallon of propane weighs 4.23 lbs and a lb of propane is 0.236 gallons. So, if you have a 20lb tank that is completely empty, it will take 4.7 gallons of propane to fill it.

Around here, UHaul and Costco are normally the best places to get refills. I say "normally" because some hardware stores will run a deal where they charge a flat rate of $10 to fill a tank. Even if they are only putting in a max of 15lbs, that's still a great price if your tank is at or near totally empty.

Here's a link to Uhaul's Location finder.
http://www.uhaul.com/Locations/

Put your zipcode in and check the box for Propane.

Thanks for the link. There's one right by my work!
With your numbers, and their price of $3.49 a gallon, that's $16.40 to fill an empty tank.
That's cheaper than a trade-in, and it'll be full as opposed to paying $21 for a partially full tank.
Than you!

Thanks for the link. There's one right by my work!
With your numbers, and their price of $3.49 a gallon, that's $16.40 to fill an empty tank.
That's cheaper than a trade-in, and it'll be full as opposed to paying $21 for a partially full tank.
Than you!

You're welcome. Where this really gets into savings are those times when your tank feels like still has a decent amount of propane, but you are worried that you'll run out during your next cook. Of course, if you exchange it, you are just throwing away whatever propane is in the tank. With refills, you just take it in and top it off.

Also, if you are a Costco member, check to see if they do refills. Their per gallon/lb charge is usually less than UHaul's.

EDIT: Something I forgot to mention is that UHaul gives a "bulk discount" once you hit a certain number of gallons (think it's like 5 or 6 gallons?). So, filling multiple tanks saves you even more.

You're welcome. Where this really gets into savings are those times when your tank feels like still has a decent amount of propane, but you are worried that you'll run out during your next cook. Of course, if you exchange it, you are just throwing away whatever propane is in the tank. With refills, you just take it in and top it off.

Indeed!
I don't use mine for cooking. My four tanks are for back up heat in the winter in case the power goes out, and the occasional time when I have to heat the garage to perform a car repair. But yes, taking in a tank when I know there's some left really bugs me.

There's a fella on another forum I belong to that was talking about refilling the little one pound cans. He says you can do it yourself, and it's perfectly legal. You can not take them somewhere and have them filled as the DOT doesn't want them transported once they've been refilled.
Just a heads up there.

Indeed!
I don't use mine for cooking. My four tanks are for back up heat in the winter in case the power goes out, and the occasional time when I have to heat the garage to perform a car repair. But yes, taking in a tank when I know there's some left really bugs me.

There's a fella on another forum I belong to that was talking about refilling the little one pound cans. He says you can do it yourself, and it's perfectly legal. You can not take them somewhere and have them filled as the DOT doesn't want them transported once they've been refilled.
Just a heads up there.

Yep yep, there's a refill nozzle that you can buy to refill the 1lb tanks. As long as you have 2+ lbs of propane in your big tank, it works well.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=1lb+propane+refill+adapter&sprefix=1lb+pro%2Caps%2C181"]Amazon.com: 1lb propane refill adapter@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416mpTsCeDL.@@AMEPARAM@@416mpTsCeDL[/ame]

Indeed!

Just a heads up there.
Yeah Bob, I do that sometimes.
Wifey wonders why I have propane bottles in the Freezer :clap2:

I only go to 2 locations here as they charge by the gallon. As we all know propane is only good for heat in the cold and warming water, so when I need the tanks filled on my camper they are usually not empty so it is critical for me to have a location that only charges me for what it actually takes to fill the tanks. I have two 30# tanks and an auto switch valve so I do run one empty occasionally but there are also times that I know I will be using it for 30 plus days and 1 tank will not make it if the other is almost empty so I take it and have the one in use filled so I can make it through without getting a refill on the road. saves me lots only paying for what it takes on partial fills.

Hey, just curious...in the instructions for that fitting, it says to turn the big tank upside down when filling.
Seems to me the 'good stuff' would be coming out when it's upright. correct?

Check your local Ace Hardware. If they have a refill station, they send out coupons periodicaly. The last ones I got were for $9.98, and they give you a full fill.

Hey, just curious...in the instructions for that fitting, it says to turn the big tank upside down when filling.

No. Based on what I've read, you want the liquified form to fill your tank with. That would be on the bottom of your tank.

I fill the 1 lb tanks from a 20 lb all winter. Use them for vice fishing, deer blind, and extra heat in the basement man cave. You do turn the big tak upside down when filling. I believe that propane is a liquid when under pressure and becomes a gas when not under pressure.

You're welcome Bob. BTW, was just at Costco today. Propane was under $2 per gallon with a max cost of $7.98 to refill a completely empty 20# tank. Needless to say, I'm going to gather all of my tanks together and get them filled there.

mine has that too. $8 to fill a tank , or $1.99 a gallon

Update getting my facts straight, or its never to late.

Went to a store yesterday, noticed a tank exchange, it happened to be a Blue Rhino exchange. After taking a closer look it stated they were filled with 15 lbs, this reminded me to weight my tank recently filled at a refill station, not used yet. The tare weight of the tank is 18 lb, this is the weight of the tank empty, with gas it weighted 37 lb. After deducting the TW it showed to have 19 lbs of gas. In conclusion it was a better deal to get it filled for the same money plus no tax, it gave me 4 lbs more gas. :clap: Although I thought it read 20 lbs on the scales when it was refilled, but I may have not gotten a good look.:tsk:

One other tidbit, you can not tell if a tank is empty by opening the valve, there is a safety valve that wont let gas out, the only way to tell is weight it at a fill station preferably. They will sell you only what the tank will hold, if you exchange it with gas still left in it, you are costing yourself even more $$$.
Dave

Back