I apparently don't understand what makes great BBQ

Dang, that's too bad. The first time I went to LaBBQ my reaction was "WOW, that's what BBQ is supposed to be" when I tried the brisket and ribs. That was at the trailer, haven't been to the new one.

Dang, that's too bad. The first time I went to LaBBQ my reaction was "WOW, that's what BBQ is supposed to be" when I tried the brisket and ribs. That was at the trailer, haven't been to the new one.
Same here. I was more disappointed at Franklin's but again I think I had my expectations too high. Had guys at my table that thought the same. One even thought his comp buddy did a better brisket. Maybe they had an off day?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Let me first say that there is no pity here. We had a good meal and Lord knows we can't complain. I agree with many here who've said that we all have different taste and likes and when you live in NJ, you have these HUGE expectations of what you're going to experience eating BBQ in Texas (you people in St. Louis and Kansas had better be careful of raising my expectations there too:wink: )

No matter what I cook/smoke/bake, I am always thinking that I have to try to live up to whomever "sets the bar" for that dish while the truth is that there really is no "better" rather there's "also".

We have a national chain BBQ joint here that's "Famous" and ALWAYS packed and we have a mom and pop BBQ joint that's outrageous where you have no problem getting a table. Go figure.

Sounds to me the meat was "held" too long. If it's not selling pronto, you have to hold it. The meat has to be held at 140F or higher for safety so it gets overdone (mushy/soft) when held a for a while. You loose your good bark and texture.

Sounds to me the meat was "held" too long. If it's not selling pronto, you have to hold it. The meat has to be held at 140F or higher for safety so it gets overdone (mushy/soft) when held a for a while. You loose your good bark and texture.

I think LaBarbecue knows what they are doing. I think the OP just has a different idea of what "good BBQ" is. Texas BBQ is not it.

Last edited:
I’ve had la Barbecue since John Lewis left. I’ve also had Lewis Barbecue at John’s place in Charleston. Lewis Barbecue is my favorite of the places I’ve been. The food is awesome, the building is central Texas style, kinda Austin hip. His pits are gorgeous, and the staff there was great with us. Please stop by if you’re around Charleston.

https://www.amazon.com/Prophets-Smoked-Meat-Journey-Barbecue/dp/0062202928

I recently read this book. I was surprised by the amount of Q joints he wasn’t impressed with. In the book he explains why and reasons why. What he looked for in Texas BBQ. How what was served may have been better had the owner selected meats and served the plate instead of an employee, the regional differences oak hickory mesquite and pecan. I also googled several of the restaurants featured and they didn’t make it. I think the book was released in 13? BBQ restaurants are a tough way to make a living. Famous Dave’s in Amarillo closed quickly.

This book opened my eyes. It goes fast. Daniel Vaughn writes for Texas Monthly. The bbq editor. I enjoy reading his articles online.

He actually echoes your experience, frequently.

I’m going to “bbq crawl” thru Texas- it’s a big State. I live 500+ miles from Austin. I’m actually 60 miles closer to Denver and closer to Cheyenne than Beaumont.

Trust me on the book. I checked it from the library. There’s a Q joint in Lubbock I am wanting to try. Evie Maes? Just down the street from me 125 miles. If/when it happens I’m pretty sure I will get sausage and sides.

Now what’s this about beans in chili???

Last edited:

Eh...

It's actually 135...not 140. The OLD rule of thumb used to be "40 to 140". Now it's 41-135 in most states.

And you do know that these guys hold their briskets for hours before serving them...right?

You never said where you ended up at. Sounds like LaBBQ new location. Everyone has their own opinion, but ribs are not supposed to fall off the bone. Brisket is not supposed to be crunchy with deep creosote flavor. I think you are just used to garbage commercial BBQ and confused on your expectations.

The tourist always complain:

1) "Prices too high I can get a BBQ plate back in California for $4.00"

2) "Not smokey enough, I could not taste the smoke"

3) "The ribs did not fall off the bone"

Someone complaining that the flat is too tender is a new one to me.

Tell me where in California you can buy anything for $4.00.

Back