I apparently don't understand what makes great BBQ

There is only one really good BBQ place in Austin. For the rest, you have to travel to Lockhart, Luling, or to the original Saltlick. Sorry you didn't get good food.

Sorry if I have missed something, but will you give the name of this place . I will be near Austin during Christmas and my daughter wants to take me out for some Que .

The thing is 100’s if not thousands of us can make the same claim(best backyard brisket). Once you get in the Smoking game, Brisket becomes a “comfort “ food. Your expectations take on a significant emotional experience based on your likes dislikes even what kind of mood you’re in.

There are good hamburgers and great hamburgers. There are good Chinese food places and great Chinese food places. Good Better Best. That about sums most food up. But not Barbecue, not now in this day and time. BBQ gets held to a much higher standard. The same standard hits New Mexico with green chile dishes.

My Bride likes pretty sweet peppery glazed baby Back Ribs. I like savory dry spares. I like beef ribs, to her one bite is enough- too rich. I like coarse ground sausage she like bologna texture.

There is a bar in BBQ and it sits very high- that’s why so very many Q joints come and go. The talent of the Pitmaster- the building location- rules regs employees cost of meats etc etc etc.

I find it quite easy to make quality smoked grilled meat for two people. I in no way have the skill talent or credit to pull off what even the smallest Q joint does whether opening 1 day or 6 days a week. I’ve known people who’ve done it- bankrupt.

I didn’t grow up in a smoked meat household. We grilled- mostly hamburgers sometimes a Tbone 3 for a family of 6 charred well done. Story was my Grandad would butcher a steer every year. Tenderloin couple ribeyes and 400# 70-30 hamburger.

I may not know much about BBQ but I can sure tell a good burger from a bad.

I know I’m rambling, bored Bride fell asleep on couch. Just realize, just maybe what you weren’t expecting met the next guy/gals full expectations.

Food is ambiguous at times.

Last edited:
Jon,

Quick question.

You got there at 11 and waited in line an hour.

So you were, in essence, really the first wave through the door depending on if they opened around 11:30.

And so my question is... were they out of beef ribs before the day started, or right when you got up to the counter?

That, would be a quick outflow of product, or a small remaining inventory to start off the day.

Hey O.P., I'd sure like to know where you went in Houston that you liked so much! That's my turf, so I love to hear what people like / don't like.

I agree with chambersuac..........there is ONE great place in Austin and it has changed lives and it sucked it was closed because of the fire, there is a reason you wait in line for hours and it was named best on the planet. If you would have headed West you could have found others in the top 5.

Jon,

Quick question.

So you were, in essence, really the first wave through the door depending on if they opened around 11:30.

And so my question is... were they out of beef ribs before the day started, or right when you got up to the counter?

That, would be a quick outflow of product, or a small remaining inventory to start off the day.

You could get there at 11 and wait an hour and still be 200th in line, so it all depends, usually the beef ribs at places sell out quickly.

Jon,

Quick question.

Bill-
I can tell you that the sign said that they were sold out. Whether they ever had them that day is unclear. I love when someone I know has one so I can take a bite or 2 as I find them very rich but delicious.

Come to Oklahoma - we got some good que. Vans Pig Stand in Norman. Burn Co. in Tulsa. Danny’s in Ponca City. Leo’s in OKC.

Plus we’re way better at football. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Y'all was off to the West a Tad. Everyone knows that the Best BBq'ed Gator is just over the State Line!

I went to Syracuse NY. for a school for 2 weeks one time. The absolute worse food I'd ever tasted and we tried recommendations from many locals ! I said all that to say this, It depends on what your comparing it with. Y'all ever heard of spice or even salt up there?

Sorry if I have missed something, but will you give the name of this place . I will be near Austin during Christmas and my daughter wants to take me out for some Que .

Franklin's, but get there early and plan to stand in line. If you're up for a little drive, Black's in Lockhart, and there's a couple in Luling.

I have always wanted to do a "texas bbq" tour so understand your expectations. But after cooking bbq at home I find 95% of bbq joints to not measure up.

One of the grandest things you’ll ever experience is driving thru small towns in Texas on an overcast winters day with your windows down smelling the aroma of woodsmoke.

I’ve always headed west to the mountains to flail the water to foam. I may have to head southeast with a couple coolers and split samplers platters along the way.

Conecuh, Slovacek Garlic, Custom Boudin & Andouille available 100’s of miles away would fill my coolers.

But, those dam trout ....they call.

The fun is in the trying. I've had a lot of great Q in Texas - Dallas, San Antonio, Fredricksburg, Abilene, Chappell Hill. But even the best of them have not been 100% consistent from visit to visit.

It's matter of individual taste. Me, I don't like my ribs to fall off the bone and I'm not a huge fan of bark on brisket. I like a pretty hefty smoke flavor and I think the best pulled pork in the nation is found in North Carolina style places. I don't like a lot of sauce and I love, love, love spicy cheddar smoked sausage. YMMV.

It's the journey, not the destination.

There is only one really good BBQ place in Austin. For the rest, you have to travel to Lockhart, Luling, or to the original Saltlick. Sorry you didn't get good food.

The fun is in the trying. I've had a lot of great Q in Texas - Dallas, San Antonio, Fredricksburg, Abilene, Chappell Hill. But even the best of them have not been 100% consistent from visit to visit.

It's matter of individual taste. Me, I don't like my ribs to fall off the bone and I'm not a huge fan of bark on brisket. I like a pretty hefty smoke flavor and I think the best pulled pork in the nation is found in North Carolina style places. I don't like a lot of sauce and I love, love, love spicy cheddar smoked sausage. YMMV.

It's the journey, not the destination.

I have to agree with Dan.... There is a reason why they have a long waiting line at Franklin's and not at others.

Several years ago we took a trip to Texas and included BBQ Samplings. Without research we had a day of disappointment because we didn't do our homework. Some areas like San Antonio are known for great Tex-Mex foods, but really poor BBQ. The best BBQ in San Antonia was from a little smoke trailer under an overpass of the Inner-Loop, so we enjoyed the Tex-Mex and the Steaks in San Antonio.

We all have different likes/dislikes in food and flavors so it is impossible to please everyone.

That evening we did some research and went to Austin in the early morning hours. The difference between them was likened to that of night and day. At first we we upset that we had to wait in line for almost 5+ hours before we got to the door, in fact we almost considered leaving. The time went quicker than expected because we had conversations with others in-line. The end result was every bit of what we had expected. The brisket had a firm bark, but it wasn't crunchy (not that we expected it to be), but it was packed with that initial burst of flavor that exploded in your mouth.

Later in the day we tried a few other places in Austin, some were good, but they really couldn't even hold a candle to the nova of Franklin's.

The next day we mad a trip to Lockhart; Kreuz, Smitty's, Blacks, and Chisholm Trail. The majority were good and each had their own shining star excellence of a product, but not everything single item was perfect at each and every place. Another half hour drive to Driftwood for dinner at Salt Lick, I was hesitant because I had heard rumors that the food is started out back and then brought in and finished over the inside pit. I have to tell you, I enjoyed watching them cook over the pit as we patiently waited, and the food was great.

So I have to agree with Mikhail. it's not just about the final destination. While the food was great, it is the actual journey and the experiences within that are firmly etched in our minds, along with the memories of some of the greatest foods we have ever had.

Last edited:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Y'all was off to the West a Tad. Everyone knows that the Best BBq'ed Gator is just over the State Line!

I went to Syracuse NY. for a school for 2 weeks one time. The absolute worse food I'd ever tasted and we tried recommendations from many locals ! I said all that to say this, It depends on what your comparing it with. Y'all ever heard of spice or even salt up there?

From the description it has to be laBarbecue, their new location inside a convenience store. I've been a few times, but this was over at their trailer.
The beef ribs were the 2nd best I've ever had (which is to be expected since she is the sister of the guy who makes the best, Wayne Mueller at Louie Mueller's)
The brisket, ribs, and sausage were all top notch. Here are a couple pics, my friend Jess is attempting the beef rib.

laBarbecue.jpg

jesslaBarbecue.jpg

Back