THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I agree with rib racks, I use them in my Humphrey's Down East Beast and have cooked over 30 racks of ribs at a time. It's more of a matter of what you want to do, and how you want to do it.

DEB a ton taller than a Battle Box so how much would I gain if I got a battle box, and used them vs flat? How low can you go with a shelf before its too hot?

I've got the pint with slide out pan. I've done 10 racks of ribs without rib racks. 2 racks per shelve. When I was looking I thought I'd need the battlebox but decided to go one size bigger just in case. That's proven to be a good strategy for me.

I've got the pint with slide out pan. I've done 10 racks of ribs without rib racks. 2 racks per shelve. When I was looking I thought I'd need the battlebox but decided to go one size bigger just in case. That's proven to be a good strategy for me.

What options did you get?

Slide out water pan, 8" casters, extra shelves, heavy duty firebox and charcoal maze. Got mine in 2014. Some of those options are standard now I believe and they have new options that they didn't have when I got mine.

It does. How much is the slide out worth vs drop in? I mean do you think if you had the drop in you would want the slide out after you found out it was more work? I live in a cold climate so this is why I'm going insulated cabinet. Hot summers, and cold winters.

Does it move good on gravel or grass or have you tried?

I believe the slide in pan is like a $100 upgrade? I'm pretty sure you can use the heat deflector to plug up the hole the drop in pan sits in. Then you can just let it sit on top of that and it will act like a slide in pan. Best of both worlds, when you need the room, move the deflector down to the firebox and slide the pan in. I always, always use a throw away half sheet pan in my water pan. That makes clean up easy. I also usually only add in maybe a gallon or two of water. When I ran it with a bunch of water, it was a pain to dispose of the water and I burned way more fuel to keep my temps up.

With the bigger wheels it is much easier to move on grass and gravel. It just cruises over the top of everything. I can actually walk it up a few steps by myself. So the big pneumatic wheels were a great purchase for me. The regular casters are hard rubber, I just imagined hitting a rock and having it tip. There was a guy with a BB that it happened to 2 years ago. He had damage to his doors and latches along with all the scuffs.

And definitely make or build a charcoal maze. I also later got the basting tray thing that fits on the firebox door. It helped with clean up. When you pull the grates out, a bunch of crap can fall down onto the firebox door. This was helpful to catch that stuff.

Chad is going to send me a form that lists all the options because the website is a bit lacking. From what he has already told me most options have to be done before ordering because of added support during the build. That makes things a bit clearer. So most the options you see listed on the website are actually for replacement parts not things you can add later yourself. I know some upgrades I will do already, but I have different plans of action with, and without a battle cart with just upgraded casters, but I still need to figure out what smoker, and what options I will get with each. I'm going to try to do an apples to apples with apples, and oranges so to speak. I have to hit a sweet spot money wise. I just want views of people that have them, and have used them to help aid or guide my thoughts.

I want to pose this question to Battle Box, and Pint owners.

Battle box owners do you wish you went bigger or are you fine with the size

Pint owners that thought the Battle Box was too small, and went a size bigger do you find that you max out the space or have left over space most the time, and could have stuck with a Battle Box.

Also let me know how many you cook for.

Back