THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burnt to a T

Full Fledged Farker
Battle Box, Pint, and Down East Beast owners.

Would like to know what you can fit as far as ribs. baby backs, spares etc etc. and how many shelves/racks to do so, and how many you can use effectively. That is the only cut I'm worried about for space. You can list more if you like because all is welcome.

Also if any options that are must have, and others you found that aren't worth getting again or a person really doesn't need.

One issue I can point to is cart vs no cart. With the cart I get 2 shelves, stability for moving, and 8" casters for around $575. For the upgrade of one folding shelf, and 8" casters Its around $300 options then extensions if I need them after the fact is another $80.

I'm trying to figure out the best option price wise from cookie cutter to pimped out to in-between. I keep trying to figure out prices, and keep running into should I move up a size, and have a cookie cutter or pimp a smaller one out a bit. I just want input from people who have used them.

I keep going back, and forth, and I'm getting very frustrated. I know I have asked a few questions already, and I have gotten lots of different views, and thats what I like so I can answer them myself. I know one is size, and it does seem many say go bigger. My problem is if I go bigger I won't get options I may miss out on, and find I don't fill the smoker very often. Then I think do I need that option vs size. I just wish I could pull the trigger without over thinking everything.

My biggest fear is not doing the right thing because I truly only have one shot at this. My wife thinks I'm crazy to spend that kind of money on a smoker so I have that battle as well. This will be my first smoker, and I know there are other options I could buy that are cheaper, but I don't want to keep gathering equipment.

Just so people know I will be new to smoking in a smoker I have done it with a kettle up to this point. I have no idea how much I may end up using it, but at first it will be a few times a week at best until I find the groove. I will be cooking for under 10 people 95% of the time, but may cook for 20 for small gatherings a few times a year. Not at this point until I learn what I'm doing.

I had myself talked into a Battle Box then people started making me doubt that choice. Then I went to a Pint, and it just got expensive with options. Now I'm stuck once again. My thoughts where I could cook pulled pork a day before a gathering, and ribs the day of plus have the grill for dogs brats and burgers. My only issue is if I cook ribs and nothing else I won't have enough space. Thanks for everyones input early.

Have you thought about rib racks? Not trying to be a smarta$$. Just seems like a cheaper solution than going bigger.

Have you thought about rib racks? Not trying to be a smarta$$. Just seems like a cheaper solution than going bigger.

Well they take up more vertical space so I think it may be addition by subtraction? In other words you have to space the shelves farther apart I would think. Yes I have thought about them. They also have mixed reviews. Like most everything else some hate em some love em.

The good news is you are buying a great brand that will have solid resale value if you take care of it. Don't sweat it too much. You may be completley convinced you need something entirely different down the road.

That said, you will always find ways to fill space.

I just got a pint for Father's day. Ordered from St Louis BBQ store. Basically bare bones except it came with two probe ports. I got one extra grate and the 8" casters and a pick stick. I wished the casters weren't all swivel casters as it made it a pain to move. To me the side table is a waste for me as I can get a bigger movable table to use since I have more than one cooker so glad it didn't come with one. Not really impressed with the probe ports as you have to foil them off to keep heat and smoke from escaping. Going to try and find a high temp rubber cored cap for them. Mine has the drop in water pan with diverter. Other than that I may get some extension legs for it. Was going to get the 8 inch angle/angle when I order it but the store said folks were having problems getting the wheel locks to work with them so by passed them for now. Other then that I am really pleased with my pint. I cooked a 9 lb butt and a slab of ribs last week and they came out great. Based on that cook I am sure I could have done 12 butts at once with plenty of air flow around them. As for ribs I am guessing 12 racks of spares. With racks 18 on three shelves. I have used racks on my Weber kettle before and the ribs turned out great.

How many ribs would you like to be able to fit at most? I would start there and let the folks at Humphreys or Kevin help you get the right model. I think in my half pint I can fit 4 racks of St. Louis spares. I know the bigger cookers can fit a lot more.

I have no experience with the smokers but based on your description I would think about what you need to get initially vs can be added later. My experience is that my wife reacts negatively to the larger initial purchase but doesn't have any concerns with spending money at various times later for accessories. It's actually often a plus as it provides birthday, Father's Day etc opportunities.

My bias would be towards the Pint for the extra size FWIW

You really need to try and think what's the most you're going to cook in a day would be. If you're only going to do a butt or two and a couple racks of ribs and don't foresee doing more, then pimp out a BattleBox. For the price of the BattleBox with a cart you could get a Pint with 8" Casters and a extra grate or two and have a lot more cooking space. You don't need the cart with a Pint(In my opinion). I went with a Pint with a extra grate, drop in water pan with heat diverter, towel bars(which are super strong) and 8" casters. Look at your budget price a couple options and figure out what's going to fit your needs best. Good Luck. You're going to love any Humphreys you buy. They're great smokers

After reading your thread title, I thought you were experiencing an actual crisis.....smh.

This is a crisis!:shock:
DW took the words right out of my head. Get the bigger one and add the accessories later if they can be bolted on. Like get extra rack sliders but get the racks later, side table, drip tray, etc.

I have a battle box.

I got the guru and fan plus the bigger run flat pneumatic wheels. Only my fronts swivel. Pretty sure they can be added after purchase as those connection points are interchangeable.

I have the slide in pan as well and the standard 3 racks.

Reassessing my purchase, I would changed a few things.

1 - Drop in plan
2 - Heat deflector
3 - Extra rack

That would have given me more options with cooking with the extra rack and the not having the slide in pan in the way taking up room. You can run 2 racks of ribs per shelf laying them flat. Each tray is basically a half sheet pan in size.

Now that I have a Shirley though, I only find myself cooking on the BB when it's super cold out or bad weather in general. Or when I want to set it and need to run errands and stuff and can come back 3-4 hours later to check on it. It runs like a champ though.

Hope that helps.

On the rib question, I would assume you can fit two racks of ribs flat per rack. You will be able to put a rack in each runner if you do this. They don't come standard with enough racks for each runner so that is more money you will have to spend. If you choose a slide in water pan you will lose a rack runner to that. So I would just look at pictures and see how many rack runners each size has for you.

I am going to bet that you will fit more ribs in them if you use rib racks and give up some rack runner space, plus then you don't have to buy extra shelves.

How many ribs would you like to be able to fit at most? I would start there and let the folks at Humphreys or Kevin help you get the right model. I think in my half pint I can fit 4 racks of St. Louis spares. I know the bigger cookers can fit a lot more.

For small family gatherings of around 15-25 people at the most or what I could guess at this point. Most the time it will be for 5-10 at most. The problem is most the time it will be for less than 5.

This is why I'm not sure if I should go for size or go for features.

I have no experience with the smokers but based on your description I would think about what you need to get initially vs can be added later. My experience is that my wife reacts negatively to the larger initial purchase but doesn't have any concerns with spending money at various times later for accessories. It's actually often a plus as it provides birthday, Father's Day etc opportunities.

My bias would be towards the Pint for the extra size FWIW

That's the problem. They build in support for the initial build for many of the options. If I get one as a cookie cutter I'm S.O.L. after the fact.

This is a crisis!:shock:
DW took the words right out of my head. Get the bigger one and add the accessories later if they can be bolted on. Like get extra rack sliders but get the racks later, side table, drip tray, etc.

You can't. They build them with extra support for the add ons. Also they have a buy back for racks when ordering for the build. So I get them cheaper up front vs later. If I could do that it would be a no-brainer.

I have a battle box.

I got the guru and fan plus the bigger run flat pneumatic wheels. Only my fronts swivel. Pretty sure they can be added after purchase as those connection points are interchangeable.

I have the slide in pan as well and the standard 3 racks.

Reassessing my purchase, I would changed a few things.

1 - Drop in plan
2 - Heat deflector
3 - Extra rack

That would have given me more options with cooking with the extra rack and the not having the slide in pan in the way taking up room. You can run 2 racks of ribs per shelf laying them flat. Each tray is basically a half sheet pan in size.

Now that I have a Shirley though, I only find myself cooking on the BB when it's super cold out or bad weather in general. Or when I want to set it and need to run errands and stuff and can come back 3-4 hours later to check on it. It runs like a champ though.

Hope that helps.

It does. How much is the slide out worth vs drop in? I mean do you think if you had the drop in you would want the slide out after you found out it was more work? I live in a cold climate so this is why I'm going insulated cabinet. Hot summers, and cold winters.

Does it move good on gravel or grass or have you tried?

Back