How to cook these Holiday inexpensive standing rib roasts?

I salted mine 2 days before cooking.

THIS. PRE - SALT YOUR MEAT. At least 1 tsp of Kosher salt per pound - I tend to use alot more. You really can tell the difference.

I do mine a day in advance. seems to help...not that a good rib roast needs it

Just to follow up. I bought a 5 pounder. I salted with Kosher salt on Thursday night. Saturday morning got up and slathered it with semi equal parts mayo, Dijon mustard, and Worchester. I put some Oak Ridge Carne Crosta on the rib piece to try it and Oak Ridge Santa Maria on the main hunk while I heated the smoker with some pecan. Kept it about 225. Had a pork fatty in the main chamber and put the beef in the side box which keeps the temps down a bit. The rib piece we ate as a snack about 1.5 hours in. It was at 130 something when I pulled it out. After about 2 1/2 hours the main piece was at 126 internal with Thermapen and I put it in a 500 degree oven for 4 minutes to reverse sear. Probably rested 5 minutes before we sliced it and ate it. Wife and I both agreed that it was the best we had made by far. We both thought it was the slightest bit underdone so maybe next time a few degrees higher to pull, but it was great. We had it Saturday lunch fresh and again for dinner. Then Monday on rolls for first wave of Christmas with our oldest son and his wife. I had just enough left for lunch today. We preferred the flavor of the Santa Maria to the Carne Crosta, but that is just us. Thanks for the help! I have a photo but it is on her phone, sorry.

Back