How to cook these Holiday inexpensive standing rib roasts?

markdtn

is one Smokin' Farker
I am getting one or two of these holiday special Standing Prime Rib Roasts. So my question is what to do with it. My wife and I went to Mt Ranier in 2021 and stayed 2 nights at the lodge. Both nights the chef special was smoked prime rib. It was amazing. I have tried to re-create it a few times and while it was good it wasn't slap-your-momma I'm-gonna-eat-the-bones-it's-so-good good. I have a Klose Backyard Chef. I currently have Oak and Pecan wood from the "wild", but I can probably get some Hickory or Cherry (or Mesquite but pretty sure that would be a mistake) at Academy if I needed to. So I am looking for a recipe and a wood suggestion for knock-your-socks-off rib roast to make in the stickburner.

I've been looking around at past posts here so I'm looking forward to the new answers as well as I've only ever cooked a whole standing rib roast twice I think.

I did find some folks using Meatheads method and I'm going to give it a test run this weekend.
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/prime-rib-and-other-beef-roasts/

There's a lot to read in there :shock:, but it boils down to cooking low around 225 till the internal gets to 115. They sear it on a grill or in an oven under the broiler.

He also doesn't cook it with the bone tied on and uses that to make a sauce/gravy and he trims off all the fat cap.

I'm going to start my dry brine today and see how it goes down for Saturday :-D

My observation of these low priced standing rib roast is that even though they are graded as choice, they barely meet that criteria in my opinion with many clearly select grade. I went to 3 different Publix and looked at prolly 30 roasts and found exactly 1 that was worth buying. So your previous less-than-incredile results cold be partially due to that.

One recipe I used to use (sorry, cant find the recipe) Had a wet coating of dijon, garlic and onion, then coated with a herb/salt mixture on top of that. After resting the crusted roast in the fridge overnight it roasted up very flavorfully.

My observation of these low priced standing rib roast is that even though they are graded as choice, they barely meet that criteria in my opinion with many clearly select grade. I went to 3 different Publix and looked at prolly 30 roasts and found exactly 1 that was worth buying. So your previous less-than-incredile results cold be partially due to that.

One recipe I used to use (sorry, cant find the recipe) Had a wet coating of dijon, garlic and onion, then coated with a herb/salt mixture on top of that. After resting the crusted roast in the fridge overnight it roasted up very flavorfully.

This is probably fairly true. But I will say of the 10 or however many roasts I've got that they've all had what I would consider choice marbling. Even the ones that were slightly less marbled were well worth $5.79/lb. Was at Costco over the weekend and for triple the price on choice ribeyes they weren't as good as these.

Here's pics of some of the whole roasts I sealed up and then also some of the steaks.
V1wP7xFl.jpg

seMcDkhl.jpg

These were the worst marbled I could find
FmuOdIpl.jpg

Here's pics of some of the whole roasts I sealed up and then also some of the steaks.

These were the worst marbled I could find

Wow!!! I found nothing even close to those here in SW Florida, enjoy :-D

I've been looking around at past posts here so I'm looking forward to the new answers as well as I've only ever cooked a whole standing rib roast twice I think.

I did find some folks using Meatheads method and I'm going to give it a test run this weekend.
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/prime-rib-and-other-beef-roasts/

There's a lot to read in there :shock:, but it boils down to cooking low around 225 till the internal gets to 115. They sear it on a grill or in an oven under the broiler.

He also doesn't cook it with the bone tied on and uses that to make a sauce/gravy and he trims off all the fat cap.

I'm going to start my dry brine today and see how it goes down for Saturday :-D

I bought one last year at Jewel/Osco for $5.99/lb and just cooked it on Thanksgiving, basically doing it the way Meathead did it, although I hadn't seen his method.

I prefer a crust all the way around the meat, so therefore I prefer boneless. The bones were already separated but tied onto the roast. I removed the bones and roasted them off with some marrow bones, and then I proceeded to make a beef stock in my instant pot for the Au Jus.

I salted mine 2 days before cooking. On the day of the cook I slathered in Worcestireshire sauce and rubbed with Swine Life Prime Beef (I highly recommend this rub....very good). Into the oven at 250 till it hit 120. I pulled it out and let it sit uncovered on the counter for 1 hour (Chef Jean Pierre's method). When I was ready to finish it, I smeared it with softened butter and cranked up the oven to 500. Into the oven on an elevated rack for 15 minutes to sear the outside. It was damn tasty.

As soon as I catch the sale here in a week or so, I'm getting another.

Plenty of good info on the other thread for rubs and cooking methods. Just keep an eye on it and have a trusty thermometer handy. They are a pretty easy cook, biggest thing is don't get distracted and let the internal temp get away from you.

I bought one last year at Jewel/Osco for $5.99/lb and just cooked it on Thanksgiving, basically doing it the way Meathead did it, although I hadn't seen his method.

I prefer a crust all the way around the meat, so therefore I prefer boneless. The bones were already separated but tied onto the roast. I removed the bones and roasted them off with some marrow bones, and then I proceeded to make a beef stock in my instant pot for the Au Jus.

I salted mine 2 days before cooking. On the day of the cook I slathered in Worcestireshire sauce and rubbed with Swine Life Prime Beef (I highly recommend this rub....very good). Into the oven at 250 till it hit 120. I pulled it out and let it sit uncovered on the counter for 1 hour (Chef Jean Pierre's method). When I was ready to finish it, I smeared it with softened butter and cranked up the oven to 500. Into the oven on an elevated rack for 15 minutes to sear the outside. It was damn tasty.

As soon as I catch the sale here in a week or so, I'm getting another.

Great info.

I'm definitely making the Au Jus similar to how Meathead described by simmering for 3hrs, but my dumb idiot brain forgot I have an Instantpot.

Any info on how long you let those veggies and bones ride in the pressure cooker? I might just do it that way.

Normally when I make beef broth, I simmer for 18-24 hours. I didn’t have that time so started looking at IP recipes. I took my ribs (had 6 bones total), smeared some tomato paste on them and roasted them off in the oven with some marrow bones and onions at 425 for about 45 minutes. Slid all that in the IP plus carrots celery and more onions and black pepper corns. I let that ride on high pressure for 2.5-3.0 hours and did natural release for a while. Strained and de-fatted.

I then took this and made my jus by adding SPOG, along with a little better than bouillon.

The 3 roasts I picked out look MUCH meatier than the ones
you posted. I don't like a lot of fat on my beef.
I couldn't be happier with them!
BTW... I cooked one of the steaks in CI yesterday for my b-day
and it was excellent.
Thanks again.

I cook prime rib every year for Christmas dinner. the appreciation thread mentioned above is the roadmap for rib roasts.

I get good results with my techniques but I want to try method x just once. I've heard so many say it works.

I cook prime rib every year for Christmas dinner. the appreciation thread mentioned above is the roadmap for rib roasts.

I get good results with my techniques but I want to try method x just once. I've heard so many say it works.

Standing rib roast = prime rib.

Or did I misunderstand your post?

Standing rib roast = prime rib.

Or did I misunderstand your post?

sure.....but no

to me prime rib is the dish. I cook it from a standing rib roast. but I've also cooked prime rib from a roast of the rib primal. depends on how technical you want to get but either way I make a mean prime rib using Q-salt

I dry brine for two days uncovered, then take out the fridge for 5-8 hours to temper, in the oven @170 for 6-12 hours depending on size, pull at 117 or 118, temp will climb 8-10 degrees then a rest for 30-45 mins while I crank the oven to 550, in it goes for 15 mins, comes out edge to edge red with an incredible crust.

Some of the on-sale roasts, in my case, always tend to be on the "tougher" side. I will usually sous vide them with a rub for about 8 hours or so at a temp of 130f. I'll remove them then sear them with my weed-burner outside. Always turn out a winner, and there's no second guessing if it'll be tender or not.

Back