How important is it?

It's rare that I buy commodity loin/back ribs in their original vacuum packaging and the membrane NOT be removed. Spares on the other hand, pretty much never removed. Regardless, if they're there, I take the time to remove them. How many slabs do you need to cook?

Last edited:
Removing the membrane comes easier for some than others. For this cook I was stripping 4 racks to each one my buddy did.

DNnmvpf.jpg

What is that cooker?

-D

Done right, it takes less than 30 seconds to peel a membrane from a rack of ribs. It exposes that side to rub. smoke, and sauce. Good Q is all about the details.

Don't chump out on this. Put your best cook forward and impress the crowd!

It's rare that I buy commodity loin/back ribs in their original vacuum packaging and the membrane NOT be removed. Spares on the other hand, pretty much never removed. Regardless, if they're there, I take the time to remove them. How many slabs do you need to cook?

I am only cooking 12 racks but I am also prepping and cooking lots of other meats.Chicken quarters have to be trimmed (40 pounds) and seasoned,prep sausage,onions,peppers,(15 pounds)season butts,(4)prep Baloney,make from scratch slaw (1 gallon) and beans(4 gallons) Eating at Noon.Gonna be a busy morning.Minimal assistance.Looking for any shortcut I can find.

Last edited:
What is that cooker?

-D

We jokingly refer to it as an 'oil patch horizontal' because some company welders built it for a drilling superintendent, and my buddy got it after the gentleman passed away. It's not a true offset style because the firebox is contained on one end, and there is a heat baffle. Here are a couple of photos (the stack is somewhat hidden by the tree).

EpLtcBk.jpg

ieZh7.jpg

I almost always remove the membrane if I am smoking ribs.

I have left it on when I'm doing direct fire in the Primo or live fire in the santa maria. The bottom always gets super crispy and you can remove the membrane durring the cook if wanted

The spares and baby's I get at costco have the membrane already removed.

Pull the membrane is my advice. Spares are more difficult than Baby backs. Spare membranes tend to tear. BB tend to get the whole membrane in one motion. I use a spoon with a square end handle, think flat blade screw driver shape and paper towels.

Many times I have done 12 cases of whole spares (why 12 cases, because my Ole Hickory can hold 108 racks of St. Louis spares), which included opening the box, cutting open the cryovac, removing the three racks, cutting them down into St. Louis spares and peeling the membrane and throwing the rib ends back in the box all in 90 minutes. Another person would season them front and back just as fast as I could trim them.

Chop the vegetables up the day before. Anything that can be done the day before should be done if possible. I assume you will be tending fire so you will have to allow some time for that as you go about prepping. That is something I do not have to do with the Ole Hickory. I would always cook the beans first and hold them in Cambros. A Cambro full of beans would still be over 160 degrees after 6 hours.

It can be done. To help avoid uh-ohs, write out a timeline of tasks that should be completed as you work towards the finish.

Good luck, I know this ain't your first rodeo.

Robert

Back