How important is it?

Hoss

Quintessential Chatty Farker
To remove membrane from the bone side of a baby/loin back rib before smoking? I have a BIG cook coming up this weekend.I wish to serve good eats but it not a comp.Just a bunch of hungry men eating a lot of different food.Any cut down on prep would be a plus but I can peel them if you all say it makes a difference.Just never tried it without peeling first.Just wondering?

Diamond Scoring works great, and it's quick.

Baby backs I remove
Spares I diamond score mostly, sometimes remove, rarely leave it

Last edited:
Just asking and thank you for replies.I know a really popular joint here in the Memphis area strips the membrane off of loin/ baby backs after they are smoked,They say it is easier that way.Just wondering.Ya’ll ever tried that?They use catfish skinner pliers.They claim the membrane helps hold in moisture because loin backs tend to be dryer meat than spares.Thank you for the responses.

I don't strip or score the membrane. Just seems like a step with little ta none promise, much like.....spritzing.
I do however put the ribs meat side down fer the first hour or so.

-D

I have always stripped with paper towels and takes no time at all. Very interesting about post smoke removal. I guess any method no matter what has pros and cons. Just whatever works best for you and yours

I think it helps hold moisture in myself, there is no meat on the back side why waste rub on a bone? also if you overcook them it can hold them together long enough to slice

I never remove the membrane for bulk-feed cooks. It’s not a competition and the people eating the ribs won’t even notice. They are usually blown away by real smoked ribs because they’re used to eating boiled and sweet sauced type of ribs from places like Applebees.

I took a bbq class at a KCBS competition from a competitor who also does a ton of public sales at the event. Their stand usually has two lines that are 50-60 people deep all weekend. They taught competition and bulk-feed type of cooking. The competition ribs were prepared as you would expect. The bulk feed ribs are excellent but are done in an unconventional way because they serve so many. They go through ribs by the reefer truck load and don’t have time to thaw them. The rub is applied to the frozen rib with an Intact membrane then they go into a giant carousel smoker. When they are done, they are sauced then grilled to set the sauce, sliced and served. These bulk serve ribs are better than 99% of the ribs that you would find in any resturant. If nothing else I learned that all of the fuss used for competition ribs isn’t needed when feeding the masses.

Last edited:
I have always pulled the membrane because it gives the rub more surface and it does turn into "shoe leather" when cooked. Always serve the best With Pride !!!

Depends on smoker temp (for me anyway). If I'm staying in the 225 range for the 5-6 hour cook then I'll peel them. Cooking at 270 or higher for a 3-4 hour cook, the membrane will crisp up and isn't at all unpleasant to eat.

I pull unless in a pinch for time. Cooked some Monday and was way behind getting them on so I just cut the membrane in numerous places. Ate them and couldn't tell any type of difference.

Removing the membrane comes easier for some than others. For this cook I was stripping 4 racks to each one my buddy did.

DNnmvpf.jpg

I think it helps hold moisture in myself, there is no meat on the back side why waste rub on a bone? also if you overcook them it can hold them together long enough to slice

Negative. There is meat inbetween the bones. Especially on spares.

It takes me about 10 seconds to take the membrane off with a paper towel. I've left it on and done diamond scoring before and most certainly can tell that it is on. I personally do not enjoy eating the membrane. I am always surprised when I read that people cannot even tell that it is there. All I can think is that they either must cook their ribs in a very different manner so the membrane dissolves (mine doesn't) or don't have nerve endings in their mouth and can't sense the difference in texture.

Back