How i sear my Brisket's

Well I guess this leaves you palyin catchup don't it this was 2006/7
DSCN0638.jpg

DSCN0640.jpg

DSCN0639.jpg

It was No Bueno fer me Bro I'd sooner eat Brisket at Viteks in Waco cooked in a Southern Pride with no wood added, I Know Good Brisket this aint it at least fer me anyway.

I never tried it with that much seasoning on it. Pretty light on the salt and pepper...that's what my mom taught me anyway. I won my first prize in brisket at a competition with this method. 3rd out of 33 teams. I finally learned how to smoke them tender and juicy but I know it works.

Well I guess this leaves you palyin catchup don't it this was 2006/7

It was No Bueno fer me Bro I'd sooner eat Brisket at Viteks in Waco cooked in a Southern Pride with no wood added, I Know Good Brisket this aint it at least fer me anyway.

I don't think so. If this is a known troll, they want someone to be aggressive with them.

I used to cook my brisket with the smoke okie method. Rub with oil, salt, pepper and turn it black. Put it in a pan with a cup of water and put it in the oven for 6 hours wrapped tight with foil on the pan at 275. Comes out the juiciest best tasting brisket I've ever had. Learned the method from my mom. She grew up in Shattuck Oklahoma. I compare all of my award winners to what my mom used to feed us using this method. You really do need to turn it extremely black or sear/seal the outside. Not bitter. Delicious. Really.

I can see how searing the meat on all sides will lock in juices and in fact act like a mini pressure cooker for a moist brisket, but how well does it take smoke compared to traditional methods?

John

It takes about 15 to 20 minutes or longer depending on how hot the fire is. I used to turn up my gasser all the way and sear all sides black. I used long tongs and gloves, set it up on the sides to sear, the ends etc. Lots of oil prior to starting the sear. I guess it gets quite a bit of "grease smoke" in the time it takes to turn all of the surfaces black. I mean black. Again, mostly from the meat though and not caked on seasoning. It really does have a good smoke flavor. Try it. I'll bet you will like it. It takes the challenge out of cooking one right by smoking it.

If its a pretty big brisket, you might need 8 hours. It's kind of like the night train by funk daddy or whatever his name is. It'll teach you what tender AND juicy feels like.

I guess the method by the link Cowgirl posted is a bit different. We didn't have a smoker to finish it on. We didn't trim any fat and by the time the sear was over it was probably down to about a quarter of an inch on the fat cap but the fat cap was black. Wrap it tight, put it in the oven and smell the goodness for the next 6-8 hours. Let it rest. Enjoy.

Admin note...

Have you folks forgotten,??? or have you never read in our charter.. THERE IS NO ONE WAY..

Hard seer has been around for a long time. Instead of trashing a new member, learn from them. Its what this forum was founded for.

Too many snarky remarks and pissing contests in this thread. Its not what we're about and needs to get back on track...

live and learn,........ or leave the thread.

quote:
"Admin note...

Have you folks forgotten,??? or have you never read in our charter.. THERE IS NO ONE WAY.."

One of the best things of a forum like this is that different ways of doing things can be presented, and we each can decide if we want to try it or not. The op has presented his way of cooking briskets, and in his opinion, is the BEST way to cook a brisket. He is entitled to his opinion, and we/I am entitled to my/our opinions. I for one find his method interesting, but would not try it out on my briskets. However, I would not be so brash as to suggest that my way is the best and only way to cook them. We all have different tastes and methods, and can learn and experiment with different ways to cook something if we so desire.

However, if we have no desire to alter our recipe, then read on, and don't attack the poster on his method. Simple courtesy works all the time. Sermon over, and we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread/forum. :tape: :loco:

Blessings to all!

Omar

I look forward to seeing different ways of cooking whatever it is however at today's brisket prices I don't think I have the excess cash to take a chance on this one. The final product sure did appear to look juicy though. IMHO...

For anyone who want's to taste my brisket .it will make your mouth water .it's so tender and hickory smoke with apple spritz.
Ill deliver within reason for free .tell me what u think .I all way's have brisket.Never out of Brisket.

Yes for free
snake river most the time .
I do give a lot of meat away though .Im doing my duty helping other's .that need food .The meat bill per month is in the $100s.Give to churches and mission's.Also go to atlanta at time s and give bbq to the homeless .
You have no idea how they appreciate it .It's sad to see the way they stay ,in cardboard boxes under bridges and so on.

For anyone who want's to taste my brisket .it will make your mouth water .it's so tender and hickory smoke with apple spritz.
Ill deliver within reason for free .tell me what u think .I all way's have brisket.Never out of Brisket.

Yes for free
snake river most the time .
I do give a lot of meat away though .Im doing my duty helping other's .that need food .The meat bill per month is in the $100s.Give to churches and mission's.Also go to atlanta at time s and give bbq to the homeless .
You have no idea how they appreciate it .It's sad to see the way they stay ,in cardboard boxes under bridges and so on.

What a great way to end up in Heaven. Used to do 3 whole hogs for the homeless in Phoenix every year but the City of Phoenix shut us down cause we were not permitted nor HD approved... Thanks for the thread and I WILL try this. :grin:

What a great way to end up in Heaven. Used to do 3 whole hogs for the homeless in Phoenix every year but the City of Phoenix shut us down cause we were not permitted nor HD approved...

That just sucks!! People have become like robots and lost all common sense. :loco:

Have you tried this method with other seasonings? Im sure not all seasonings would work well for this. I guess you could apply another rub after the sear.

ok i just got back from this guys house....and tried his brisket...holy crap...its AMAZING. its not burnt...its not bitter..its just greatness! he was kind enough to let me have a nice sample box of brisket slices and burnt ends as well as a tub of his brunswick stew. really nice guy, and if anyone else is in the area i def suggest u head over and try his stuff

ok i just got back from this guys house....and tried his brisket...holy crap...its AMAZING. its not burnt...its not bitter..its just greatness! he was kind enough to let me have a nice sample box of brisket slices and burnt ends as well as a tub of his brunswick stew. really nice guy, and if anyone else is in the area i def suggest u head over and try his stuff

Well, well well. There must be more than one way to BBQ, who da thunk?
Although, for $75+ per briskie, I'm not BRAVE enough to try it.

My wife's uncle does them this way. I however think nothing is gained searing a brisket. To say nothing of letting one burn over an open flame. Different strokes for different folks. He likes his style and has been doing it for years,... lol,.. so I don't cringe as bad as I used to when I see pictures like this. P.S. My Uncle in law's briskets are ok .... kinda dry,...but ok. He's just to set in his ways to listen to me LOL :p So Q on fellas.... everybody does it there own way. :wink: EDIT: Your slices look juicy. If it floats your boat, keep on rollin'. Happy Q'n

Last edited:
Back