How do you Like your Steak

How do you like your steak.

• Beefsickle 0F - 34F

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just take it out of the fridge 35F-100F

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Extremely Rare 100-120F Mooo!

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Rare 120-125F a good Vet could revive it!

Votes: 41 20.9%
  • Med Rare 130-135F center is very pink, slightly brown toward the exterior portion

Votes: 111 56.6%
  • Medium 140-145F center is light pink, outer portion is brown

Votes: 40 20.4%
  • Medium Well 150-155F not pink

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Well 160 - 165F steak is uniformly brown throughout

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Extremely well 170-180F + Dry still recognizable as meat

• Carbon like Probe will not go in anymore similar to Lump charcoal

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree with Ron^^. Chared on the outside, pink on the inside. At one time I'd tell em when ordering to knock the horns off it and wipe its butt and that was good, but the texture of totally uncooked very red steak has become less apealing. But very pink is a must.

Your verbiage is biased toward the range you prefer. Rare isn't a stage that is raw; it's cooked through, as he consistency changes between raw and rare.

I tend to change between medium rare to rare to Pittsburgh rare depending on the steak cut and quality.

I grew up eating shoe leather, which was my mom's idea. Dad didn't necessarily like it, but he knew pissing mom off would not be a good thing. He didn't like anything less than well side of medium. An uncle cooked steaks for us once and they were med rare and I feel in love with steak (he made my dad finish cooking his own). I will cook it anyway you like it, just don't put ketchup on it (especially if you ordered it well done).

Your verbiage is biased toward the range you prefer. Rare isn't a stage that is raw; it's cooked through, as he consistency changes between raw and rare.

I tend to change between medium rare to rare to Pittsburgh rare depending on the steak cut and quality.

Not sure how its biased. I never used the word raw and the Beefsickle along with the Carbon are just a joke.

Oh what is Pittsburgh rare I haven't seen that term before???

It is amazing that restaurants consistently overcook. I always order rare in hopes of getting medium rare, however I usually get medium to medium well. It is usually closer if it is a better restaurant, however this happened recently when the wife and I recently went to Flemmings. We spent $300 for our dinner and my wife's steak was way overcooked. I don't get it....you can always cook a steak a little longer.

IT sucks when you send one back because the other people sit and wait or the person whose got sent back is eating and everyone else is done. Pretty unacceptable for an upscale place.

I grew up eating shoe leather, which was my mom's idea.

In my house it was my dad that liked it well, but he also grew up in the 1940s when everything was cooked that way so that nobody got worms.:wink: To his credit he's at least accepting of medium-well these days.

But it was because of this that I took up grilling because if I wanted my steak (which was almost always sirloin) medium-rare or less I had to grill it myself. M-R was OK but I think there were at least a couple of times where I was told to go cook it some more because it was too rare.

Brad

Not sure how its biased. I never used the word raw and the Beefsickle along with the Carbon are just a joke.

Oh what is Pittsburgh rare I haven't seen that term before???

Bias doesn't mean you're evil, don't worry! :) And we all actually show bias pretty easily when we joke often more than other other times.

Pittsburgh rare (google is your friend) is described well on wikipedia:
A Pittsburgh rare steak is one that has been heated to a very high temperature very quickly, so it is charred on the outside but still rare or raw on the inside. This has the effect of intensifying the meat's flavor by cooking, without destroying the flavor of the uncooked meat. It can also produce a slightly crunchy layer on the outside that will complement the soft interior. The degree of rareness and the amount of charring on the outside may vary according to taste. The term 'Pittsburgh rare' is used in some parts of the American midwest and eastern seaboard, but similar methods of sear cooking are known by different terms elsewhere, including Chicago-style rare and, in Pittsburgh itself, black and blue.

I assume the temps are final temp on the plate not temp to pull at. No more than 125 for sure so pull off hot grill at about 115 or off 225 smoker at 122.

I assume the temps are final temp on the plate not temp to pull at. No more than 125 for sure so pull off hot grill at about 115 or off 225 smoker at 122.

Last week I pulled my standing rib roast off of my 225 smoker at 121. After it rested it was perfection. Bright pink from edge to edge, and tender as a mother's love.

I had a friend who when asked this question would reply: Cut off the horns and wipe his a$$. I guess he liked it rare. Medium rare for me.

You beat me to it about Pittsburgh style... I like it between that and rare. It's also called "black and blue".

Blood, guts and veins in my teeth rare!!!

I want the blood dripping off that Bad mo getter.

Now, obviously you guys ain't smokin' steaks are you?

So, this is a grillin' question, right?

Bias doesn't mean you're evil, don't worry! :) And we all actually show bias pretty easily when we joke often more than other other times.

Still didn't explain how I'm biased. I didn't give Medium or Med-Well any better explaination/description than any of the other semi-serious choices. Oh well I'm not that worrried about it. :p

I didn't the quote on your quote but, I can google anything and get the wiki answer. I was just wonder what Pittburgh Rare means to you. Since you quoted Wiki I will assume that their definition is correct. Be careful what you read on the internet (except for here).:grin:

Blood, guts and veins in my teeth rare!!!

I want the blood dripping off that Bad mo getter.

Now, obviously you guys ain't smokin' steaks are you?

So, this is a grillin' question, right?

Yes Grilling Question. Oh I should have made a choice "Just Boil mine with some liquid smoke" Dang!

Back