Reflections on steak cuts

I'll never turn down a steak but a fillet isn't at the top of my list. Ribeyes are my favorite but we cook NY's most often.

Tenderloin is never a bad choice. Use to buy them whole and have trimmed/ground for tartare. The whole was very good, sort of buttery, done on the rotisserie.

NY strips are good but tend to the tough side IME.

Ribeyes/roasts are a favorite. Might sound crazy but the only cut I like better is skirt steak. Grills in a few minutes. Sliced correctly is very tender. Only issue is I can rarely find it around here.

She seems pretty sharp at 10, my daughter was similar and often surprised me by her observations. Good luck... you're going to need it:wink:

She's a piece of work for sure. And I have two more girls (8 & 3) who are just as much of a spitfire as their sister.

And, I assume everyone's tried it but, a nice 45min smoke followed by a quick sear on a thick prime rib-eye is pure heaven. It's our regular Sunday night dinner and it makes the end of the weekend not so painful :)

This was my method for the filet. I parked it in the front far from the fire of the santa maria with oak and pecan burning for about 45 minutes then sliced into 3 pieces and seared real hard over the fire.

It was pretty darn tasty.

I like just about any steak cut, all for different reasons. I’m big fan of a properly cooked filet mignon, but ribeyes are my favorite. I eat the entire thing, fat and all. The salty crispy fat is probably my favorite part. I see someone go to the effort to cut every last piece of fat off their steak and leave a pile on their plate and just shake my head.

I like just about any steak cut.

I will eat any cut of beef with A-1. I grew up eating cardboard steak, but we always had a bottle of A-1 to wash it down. I kind of crave it a few times a year, and go out of my way to over cook a cheap cut like london broil just to drown it in A-1. Charred to death is key.

I will eat any cut of beef with A-1. I grew up eating cardboard steak, but we always had a bottle of A-1 to wash it down. I kind of crave it a few times a year, and go out of my way to over cook a cheap cut like london broil just to drown it in A-1. Charred to death is key.

I carry a bottle of A1 in my car in case a restaurant doesn't have any.

I eat the entire thing, fat and all. The salty crispy fat is probably my favorite part. I see someone go to the effort to cut every last piece of fat off their steak and leave a pile on their plate and just shake my head.

Don't tell your cardiologist.

Ick.

I eat the entire thing, fat and all. The salty crispy fat is probably my favorite part. I see someone go to the effort to cut every last piece of fat off their steak and leave a pile on their plate and just shake my head.

SAME!!!

Use all that worthless trimming of others to your advantage! Hold your plate next to theirs and ask them to slide it over to you :biggrin1:

Your discussion with your eldest about steak cuts sounds like a blast! It's always fun sharing culinary experiences with family, especially when it involves steak. Your prime center cut tenderloin dinner must have been a real treat!

That would be me...

I like just about any steak cut, all for different reasons. I’m big fan of a properly cooked filet mignon, but ribeyes are my favorite. I eat the entire thing, fat and all. The salty crispy fat is probably my favorite part. I see someone go to the effort to cut every last piece of fat off their steak and leave a pile on their plate and just shake my head.

LOL...that would be me.
;)

I guess it is a texture thing, but I just can NOT eat big globs of fat...especially that heavy stuff on the outside.

I love well marbled steak where the fat melts into the meat...yum. And in recent years, I can and will it a bit of the other fat, but not a lot.

I think ribeye internal fat is a bit more edible than say the outside fat on a NY Strip, which is generally my goto steak.

Actually, ever since I got my new offset smoker (going OT here a bit)...I've come to actually love ribs now...because I am now successful at rendering pretty much ALL fat off my ribs....and don't have to eat around big globs of fat.

Oh well, to each is own, eh?

cayenne

PS. I'm also a plate turner....but that's something for its own thread...haha.

I've had similar discussions with my kids (now adults). If I could go back and have another crack at it, I'd be encouraging their thoughts on the experience rather than trying to load them up with what YOU think might be better, and the reasons why. None of that matters when you are 10. She just had a great dinner and recognised it was a certain thing and she's telling you all about it.

Let it grow.

Bill

Last edited:
Your discussion with your eldest about steak cuts sounds like a blast! It's always fun sharing culinary experiences with family, especially when it involves steak. Your prime center cut tenderloin dinner must have been a real treat!
And it's also interesting how price can influence our preferences, isn't it? But your daughter's question about all cuts costing the same really makes you think. If you're ever looking to explore different cuts without worrying about price, https://www.fattycow.com/ offers premium Wagyu beef that's worth trying. Who knows, it might just change your preferred steak order!

The dinner roll you have with your steak dinner is probably worse for you than the fat on a steak is.

Actually there is no “probably” to it.

One of my kids is a meat eater like me and ribeyes are king but while at Costco the other night a couple packages of KC strips caught my eye so I grabbed them. Cooked them rare and put them on the table. She cut her first bite chewed it and said “ribeyes may have just been dethroned!” I will admit they were the best strips I had ever eaten, sometimes the beef Gawds smile on ya.

ribeyes are my fav and NY strip is my least

I actually like the beef flavor of a quality cut of a properly cooked sirloin...and it's economical

Price wouldnt change my favorite steak lineup:

#1-Hanger Steak, also known as hanging tender. It's the second most tender cut on the cow and makes tenderloin seem flavorless.

#2-Flat Iron, also known as beed chuck top blade. Again, very tender AND super flavorful being chuck.

Hanger is almost never available retail, I grab it at restaurant depot.

Back