lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
There's a Soups, Stews and Chili throwdown in progress, here:
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302317

Since I suggested it, I guess I better get an entry in. Abiding by the "cook it all and/or part of it outdoors" rule, here's my entry.

Hot and Sour Soup

Recipe is from Souped Up Recipes, which I've used before.

Many of the ingredients, including LOTS o' mushrooms. Sh!take and Black Fungus dried mushrooms are rehydrating in the bowls. Pork, tofu and other mushroom varieties were used as well -

E3dOosy.jpg

Stock, just happened to have veggie stock on hand -

Ssb5HIn.jpg

Carrots and ginger -

PngRmQV.jpg

Shrooms all prepped by my wife -

aYa6t4o.jpg

The pork is thinly sliced, marinade is Soy Sauce and Cornstarch. The Goldens' is still set up for indirect which is great as the heat could be concentrated on one side of the grill. A bit of oil and in goes the pork to sear -

4bwHLuk.jpg

Eqv6aEG.jpg

I removed the pork when it was nearly done, adding in the stock, ginger, all the shrooms and carrots to simmer for a while. A soy/ dark soy/ cornstarch/ sugar/ salt mix is added for flavor -

rOdeyD8.jpg

sTimgAc.jpg

The pork was added back in and as it was getting dark outside I finished adding the last few ingredients indoors - tofu and beaten eggs. At the very last minute the mixture which makes the soup Hot and Sour is added - White Pepper and Vinegar.

g4vx6Y7.jpg

And dinner is served! Garnish w/ some green onion.

hgM6GsM.jpg

X9JSd0w.jpg

VLJvgwZ.jpg

xNVtcQb.jpg

Just the right amount of heat and sour. :mrgreen: And of course a LOT more mushrooms than you get at your typical Asian restaurant.

One of these pics will be used as the entry in the throwdown.

If you love Hot and Sour Soup, give this recipe a try. It's very straightforward and turns out an excellent bowl of soup. My significant change is to cook the pork strips right at the start, rather than letting them cook in the broth. It gives the soup a lot more flavor.

As always, thanks for following through to the end of this post. And submit an entry into this throwdown!

Regards,
-lunchman

One of my favorite soups, and I'd sure like to give that one a try. Never made it at home, thinking I probably should.

Thanks everyone! This soup turned out to be exceptional since I followed the single recipe rather than trying to combine two different ones.

We just had a late lunch, the flavors became even more intense on day 2.

-Dom

Back