Honest Craigslister or not?

We have a floor model big green egg at the Tulsa Hills Sam's Club marked down to $650. I would buy that before I bought that thing. $650 brand new and assembled.

Thanks for that info! I shop at that store often. The guy I am recommending this to has been slow to buy an Akorn, even at the recent deal with the Akorn and cart for like $260, he didn't bite. So maybe he will look at this, the seller really wants to meet. (Who delivers ceramic kamados?) So, if the price is extra right ($100 with a usable but broken firebox), maybe he will take it. I will stick with my $544 Primo XL and cart - Clist 1 year new special.

Ok, just met with the seller.

It was jet black. As-in, not green, at all. The seller was quick to say "it is actually a kamundo, no kamado?". I think he was implying it was the brand. Then he said Primo. So he didn't know anything about it. It was either a Vision or Auplex. The bottom half of the thermometer has a flat finish without any text. So I don't see the point in altering the picture - so I don't think he did...
The bottom was completely full of ash above the vent! But that didn't matter, the sliding door was bent by the stand. We had to push pretty hard to get it to open. He will be able to pry it open a bit.
Not shown in the pic, there was a broken part in the center of the grate. Half of the center ring was gone.
The gasket is toast in several spots, but mostly near the piston. I made it clear that it was possible this could keep happening every few cooks and it wouldn't be fun.
I was wondering about the top. You spin the entire thing to create a gap to open the exhaust.
On the bright side, the ceramic was all in good condition. I didn't see any cracks.

In the ~four years of it's life, I would guess it had probably only been used enough to fill up with ash once - kind of like my Primo.

I discussed all these issues so everyone could hear them. My friend threw out $150.:doh: (Yesterday, I told him $100 IF in good condition.) For all to hear, I told him to add another $110 and get the Akorn with cart that was just on sale for $260. He stuck with $150:doh::doh: and the seller said he just wanted to get rid of it.

So, now he needs a good, thick gasket kit to see if he can get a good seal all the way around. Any recommendations?

A nomex gasket should do the trick.

Thanks. I just looked around at Amazon and bbqgaskets.Based on the width of the ceramic, I think this grill will need 3/4" wide, and I am guessing he needs 1/4" thick to get a good seal. I don't see this combination available. I see 1"-1/4" or 3/4"-1/8".Can anyone offer some feedback on this?

Also, he will need an ash tool for cleaning. I like [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006QY9BJ0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage"]Amazon.com : Broil King KA5527 Multi-Purpose Tool (Discontinued by Manufacturer) : Big Green Egg Accessories : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31fno1JZ5UL.@@AMEPARAM@@31fno1JZ5UL[/ame]. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Vision double tier rack. Heat deflector (pizza stone works great. Just flip it over every time you use it).

Back