Honest Craigslister or not?

I think it's a crappy camera and it's a green egg. One of the other pics i can see the green tinge.

Can't wait to hear how this comes out. Hopefully he is legit and you get a Green Egg for a fair price.

Sorry to say, the mission trip thing raises red flags. There are CL scammers around here who try to get you to rent houses they don't own, and one of the common excuses why they can't show it to you is "I'm out of the country on a mission trip." I think it's intended to enhance the perception of trustworthiness.

I'm a Christian and it makes me mad, but sadly it's something to be careful of.

I think it's a crappy camera and it's a green egg. One of the other pics i can see the green tinge.

I agree, it could well be green. And the thermometer blur could just be a camera thing too. I would go check it out in person and be prepared to buy it if it's legit.

I have a way to put this issue to rest. If you are really interested, demand he use THIS escrow service to transfer payment. Bring someone with you the size of a large tree when you go to inspect it.
https://escrow.com/

Vision

It kinda looks like an old Vision. The wood handle and the mounts for the side tables look like a vision. The top vent and stand or quite different though. E-mail the folks at Vision Customer Service or send 'em the pic and see what they say. Otherwise caveat emptor. If it looks like a terd, smells like a terd, you probably don't need to take a bite to make sure it's a terd...

Sorry to say, the mission trip thing raises red flags. There are CL scammers around here who try to get you to rent houses they don't own, and one of the common excuses why they can't show it to you is "I'm out of the country on a mission trip." I think it's intended to enhance the perception of trustworthiness.

I'm a Christian and it makes me mad, but sadly it's something to be careful of.

The wife graduating from oral roberts uni seemed to explain the mission to me.

If it's close go look at it and bring pictures of a real BGE with you.

Dude, I have ZERO DOUBT that this is a Vision Classic with a aftermarket top vent, custom cradle, a firebowl/ring from another manufacturer, and an aftermarket grate. My Vision Classic Bravo has all the same banding/ hardware, hinges, thermo, and shock piston. Sells NEW for about $500(with cover, fold down side tables, a two tiered rack system, and a rolling cradle). In this condition I wouldn't pay any more than $100.

Edit: below is a pic of mine if you want to compare! Notice the brackets for hanging the side tables on the lower band. Dead giveaway
2015-07-24%2015.06.44_zpspjahbalg.jpg

Looks like an auplex Kamado from the handle. The stand however is what will give this one away. Those swirly metal ends seem unique to me. Haven't seen that stand before.

Also I think its someone who knows nothing of what they have and is assuming because someone told him it looked like a big green egg and he thinks its green that it must be a BGE. $700 is just too much.

On edit: Ron's picture explains it.

I agree with Chump. I have one as well and it is a match. You can see the brackets to hold the fold up tables as well. It is a Vision worth $570 new.

Looking at it again it does look like a Vision and you can see the brackets for the wood shelves are still there but the actual wood is missing. The stand also is not meant for the cooker as the bottom covers the intake vent. So it needs a proper stand, side tables, and in its condition I would say 100-200 if not cracked.

That's a Vision grill. Not an Green Egg. Handle and top is the give away. New ones sell for ~$750, though that one looks to be about the size of a Medium Green Egg. I would pass.

Just spoke to Laurie at Vision. She was very helpful! She was kind enough to pull up the ad with me as we spoke. Her first thought is that it is a Vision or probably Vision knock off. She noticed the cooking grate doesn't match, the dome shape seems off, and a few other items.

The firebox looks broken in the pic, a new one is $149. I don't need it, my clist special PrimoXL suits me. However, I may see if a buddy is interested. I think the cracked firebox would need to be near enough complete to use-as is though. It will be Sunday as I work is crazy right now.

We have a floor model big green egg at the Tulsa Hills Sam's Club marked down to $650. I would buy that before I bought that thing. $650 brand new and assembled.

Google an Alfresco kamado, looks identical, with the piston rig to keep the lid from slamming. Even sold as a stand alone option, with no side tables or stand. sells for $599, new as stand alone.

Definitely not a big green egg. And i'm sure enough people have replied and told him that. So whether he was misinformed at first or was actually lying is a moot point. My guess is he knows exactly what he's doing which is why the therm was blurred out.

Back