THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I went with the Lavalock 1/8" thickness on mine. My garage sale version was naked and leaked a lot of smoke on the trial burn. I like my cookers to be efficient and not a sieve. I gasketed the main chamber door, firebox area (not the lid) and the intake door.

Now I just need some grates.

Did you use the Lavalock to gasket the firebox area as well?

I'm trying to figure out if I need to order some of that hi temp silicon in addition to the gasket.

PRO TIP HERE: you R E A L L Y shouldn't use "basement" in any form on a forum.....LOL

just kidding

just don't light it up down there...

congrads on your new rig

Haha, thanks. Figure if it sucks, it goes on Craiglist with a long ad about how awesome it is, and I'm back to just having a UDS in my backyard.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to order some of that hi temp silicon in addition to the gasket.

I ordered the silicon for the firebox/smoker joint....650 degrees food grade...but i may just use the gasket there when i put it together.

Yes.. gaskets for doors and lids.. High temp silicone for the welds in the lid (upper section) and the connection between firebox and the chamber. That rectangle opening lines up but there will be gaps. And of course silicone for the exhaust.

I was surprised how crappy the welds were on the arch of the lid. I used a light bulb and put my lid over it in a dark room to check out the leaks but some welds are so bad you can see it with the naked eye.

Yes.. gaskets for doors and lids.. High temp silicone for the welds in the lid (upper section) and the connection between firebox and the chamber. That rectangle opening lines up but there will be gaps. And of course silicone for the exhaust.

I was surprised how crappy the welds were on the arch of the lid. I used a light bulb and put my lid over it in a dark room to check out the leaks but some welds are so bad you can see it with the naked eye.

Excellent, thanks!!

Just ordered both off Amazon, so I can assemble this weekend.

$89 here, but wondering if the necessity of mod additions makes it worth it?

I just picked up one of these today for $89 at Walmart! Super pumped to have a new toy to learn! Have read the doc and will try and do most of the mods during assembly

What does the factory fire grate look like? How high off bottom of FB.?

The firebox is 16"x20.5". Original fire grate is oven style and roughly 14"x16" and is 2.5" above the ash pan. I am currently using 4" bolts to raise it above the ash pan but I would like something to protect the side of the firebox.

I may Smitty-weld my own charcoal/firewood box for the Bandera.

$89.00 is hard to pass up- but I'm gonna try. The "rational" me raises its hand: It won't do anything my other cookers won't. It won't hold more- it won't cook better. It will be "new" and "fun to learn on"... for awhile- then it would go into a rotation - or not be used at all.

Guys- do me a favor before the "other" me shows up- buy them all up and remove the temptation. :grin:

Guys- do me a favor before the "other" me shows up- buy them all up and remove the temptation. :grin:

They are increasingly harder to find in the Dallas area.. except for the display models. The one in Plano off Ohio/121 have 2 for $184..

I just got home a little bit ago with mine new in the box for $89. I couldn't pass it up for that price. Now to look up all the mods....lol. The brethren here rock!

Dimensions: 39.3"w x 28"d x 63"h
Total cooking area: 992 sq in.
Weight: 198lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dimensions: 39.3"w x 28"d x 63"h
Total cooking area: 992 sq in.
Weight: 198lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely not 28" deep. Maybe with the shelf in the front. Racks are 15.5" wide and 16" long. Back to front without the door is 16.75". So depth with door should be about 17"

The firebox is 16"x20.5". Original fire grate is oven style and roughly 14"x16" and is 2.5" above the ash pan. I am currently using 4" bolts to raise it above the ash pan but I would like something to protect the side of the firebox.

I may Smitty-weld my own charcoal/firewood box for the Bandera.

Sorry for my ignorance, what is "Smitty-weld"?

I'm planning to make one of the no-weld boxes out of expanded steel. I want to get mine together first, though, to get more accurate measurements.

Back