THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Justin E

Found some matches.
I'm new here but sure this has been posted before. I'm going to try and find a new way to beat the ol dead horse. I'm trying to decide between a Primo Oval XL and the XL Egg. Why this size? I like to smoke pork butt in a pan with a sop, and the large Egg won't fit a pan big enough for 2 butts. I'm not sure about the Primo. It should but not certain. I haven't found a retailer with a dedicated grilling section to try it and see on.

Some things I noticed: The Primo's lid is heavier than the Egg's. Maybe some modifications in the springs could help.

I also noticed that the Primo's lid was as deep as the egg's. Is this true, and could it affect the clearance for food?

I like the dividable firebox, though I'm sure I could come up with something to divide the firebox on an egg. Also, I hear of half grates for the Egg now. Possibly could rig some form of a half-deflector plate.

I've heard the the XL Egg doesn't do "low and slow" very well. Anybody with any experience doing this on an XL Egg?

I've heard the the Primo isn't as good with heat retension or distribution. Is this true?

How much lump do each of these hold, and how much cook time can I expect from each?

Finally, if anybody has experience with both of these, how would you compare them? Apples to oranges or gala to red delicious?

Seeing as how I'm not asking which is best but which would be best for me, is there anything else I should consider?

I have an XL BGE and have never had any problems with low & slow. Did a 16hr brisket cook & it was great.

I don't think you're going to see a whole lot of difference in performance between the two. We went with the Primo because of the oval shape and the clearance. My wife bakes and wanted a bread oven and the Primo had a lot more clearance. I believe the new Eggs also have more clearance now. Personally, I love the split-level racks that allow me to smoke indirect

IMG_3809.jpg

and then sear direct without messing around with the grates (note that the grates are at different levels and there is a diffuser on the right side, but not on the left):

IMG_3818.jpg

I don't know if this option is available on the egg or not -- it wasn't when we were shopping.

As far as performance, I don't think you'll find much difference. I've cooked continually for over 24 hours straight on a single load of charcoal with outside temps of 15-20 degrees. I expect the Egg will do the same. Incidentally, I do have the firebox divider, but don't use it. It's not worth the trouble as it doesn't burn a lot of fuel anyway.

Thanks for the input, everybody. I know the Egg had a new lid designed for it at some point. What I'm hearing is, I probably wouldn't have a problem either way?

Some things I noticed: The Primo's lid is heavier than the Egg's. Maybe some modifications in the springs could help.

:roll: Lemme guess. You're an engineer who drives spreadsheets all day? Come on. The lid is heavy? Are you serious?

I also noticed that the Primo's lid was as deep as the egg's. Is this true, and could it affect the clearance for food?

I assume you meant "wasn't"....

I've seen eight 8-10 butts loaded on a Primo Oval XL before with the use of the second tier grates.

I like the dividable firebox, though I'm sure I could come up with something to divide the firebox on an egg. Also, I hear of half grates for the Egg now. Possibly could rig some form of a half-deflector plate.

The divisible fire box and the split D-plates will allow you to cook (grill) hot-n-fast on one side and low(er) and slow(er) on the other.

I've heard the the XL Egg doesn't do "low and slow" very well. Anybody with any experience doing this on an XL Egg?

Is this innerweb folklore? Me? I have no idea. I suspect if you are competent at running a cooker, the XL Egg will operate nearly identical to the famous Large BGE.

I've heard the the Primo isn't as good with heat retension or distribution. Is this true?

More internet story tale? Seriously....It's a big arse ceramic cooker. The ceramic walls are at least 3/4" thick. The D-plates do have about a 3/4" gap around the inner wall of the cooker. Doesn't the Egg's plate setter have similar? There's your uneven heat distribution....put food out on the outer edge, it's going to burn/cook faster than food put over the center of the D-plates.

How much lump do each of these hold, and how much cook time can I expect from each?

The Primo Oval XL holds about 12 lbs if you correctly fill the fire box up to an imaginary line just slightly above the transition line on the firebox where the slope goes vertical. This will be just below the grates the D-plates sit on. This is also the optimum setting for charcoal fill because it takes up more space, provides less air on top and doesn't hurt a thing as far as more charcoal.

Fill the Primo up and you're going to see it run at 225-250°F for about, oh, 24 hours. No joke.

Finally, if anybody has experience with both of these, how would you compare them? Apples to oranges or gala to red delicious?

Yes.

Don't take my reply as a completely smart-aleck reply. I'm kinda tired of the hand-wringing over-analyzation that goes on with most anything today. Sorry. It's just become a pet peeve of mine.

Each one of these cookers, along with Grill Dome, Komado Joe and whoever else has a ceramic cooker out there is going to have their fans and haters. I am obviously a fan of the Primo. I have one. I've cooked on mine enough to know that I truly love the versatility. I have no complaints about it. None.

People love their Big Green Eggs. Many love them enough to where they will ONLY buy lump charcoal in a green bag....thinking it is the only thing to use or it's that much better.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. The Primo is the only ceramic cooker made in the US. It's made in Tucker, GA.

We got a 32 lb hog in one last weekend. It was cool. People loved it.

IMAGE_54.jpeg

A piece of advice- When you get your Primo tomorrow, wrap your D-plates in 2 layers of HD Foil. It keeps them clean and makes clean-up easy. :wink:

I should've started out by saying I'm ocd and an engineer at heart. The lid did feel heavier and not as deep. However, I did not have them side-by-side to really tell. I'll have to go to another Primo dealer first. The one I went to didn't have any form of display, just the one they do demos on and nothing else.

I bought my Primo Oval XL after looking at the offerings from BGE. It was more the shape than anything else that caused me to choose the Primo, because they're fairly comparable in most every other category. If I only want to cook a couple racks of spares I don't have to heat up my off-set or cut the spares in half to make them fit.

XL%20Pizza-L.jpg

I also like the way it cooks Pizza.

They all cook great..Retain heat like no ones biznes....Cook Low & Slo or Hot & Fast, Grill, bake, Sear, cook for hours on a load of coals...Set and forget...Etc...

I have a BigJoe, I wouldn't trade it for any other Kamado...Done...Smoke on...

Here are some more Primo XL pics.

Hot Dogs, corn & ABT's
IMG_4303_zpsf962914b.jpg

Chicken & veggies
IMG_4008_zps6a0996f7.jpg

2 full racks of spares
IMG_4071_zps595f9efc.jpg

9 qt. Dutch Oven
IMG_4376_zpsdfc5ea9b.jpg

Tri-Tip, chicken & ABT's
IMG_4239_zps1bebecb3.jpg

DerHusker is killing it.

I have had 4 racks of spares on one. Not ideal, but it got done. With the grate extensions, you could easily cook 6 racks of ribs.

Close Excel and go get one. :wink:

If I only want to cook a couple racks of spares I don't have to heat up my off-set or cut the spares in half to make them fit.

I have an XL BGE - with an Adjustable Rig from the Ceramic Grill Store I can lay 6 racks of spares flat on the XL egg. No rib rack required. not cutting of ribs required. If I do baby backs, I can get up to 9 laying flat in the egg.

There are tools you can get to divide the firebox in the egg, get half moon shaped pieces, etc. There are plenty of options, both BGE branded as well as 3rd party companies who make these products.

If you like to cook in a pan, a full size steam pan will also fit in the XL, I have done it numerous times.

I picked the Egg only because it seemed more popular, more active forums for support and ideas plus their dealership network has more dealers near me and places I frequent in case I need support. I had one warranty claim and it was resolved 1 phone call to my local dealer and I picked up a warranty part the following day from my dealers inventory stock.

Buying new or used?

When buying new I look for these words "Made In USA"
When buying used Private sale I don't worry about it as I'm not paying taxes to any economy-foreign or domestic. Weird logic, but works for me.

One of your choices has these words stamped inside the lid.

Don't limit yourself-get both. I see Eggs all the time on Craigslist.

And welcome to the best BBQ Forum on planet earth. Look forward to your input and decision.

I meant no denigration toward the BGE XL, I almost bought one myself.

Did not think you were putting down the Eggs, just did not want false info out there so the poster can make an informed decision.

I would strongly consider a Primo Oval instead of a L Egg due to the oval shape vs the size of the L BGE. But the XL BGE is plenty big to 18+ lb briskets, racks of ribs or full pans with no modifications. And with some 3rd party tools you can greatly increase the capacity.

Well, I bet they'd both impress the neighbors and relatives. Here is a pic of 12 St. Lou's on my BGE. I know these wouldn't win a competition but they won a lot of compliments from my hungry, cheap a$$ friends and I was so surprised how well they cooked up. Didn't really change the cook time either.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 132
Back