Help me pick my smoker

Here are my thoughts in no particular order:
1.) You want a barrel smoker. Are you dead set on reverse flow?
2.) I saved my money till I got exactly what I wanted and I'm happy I did. I almost settled.
3.) I had a Jambo clone made with a few custom items and only paid $1600. Best smoker I've ever cooked on and I've cooked on a UDS, a Weber, a insulated cabinet smoker, charcoal grill, etc.
4.) Last but not least, save your money till you get what you are saving up for.

Wish you all the best brother!

Have smoked on the Webers and built a UDS, but finally the 'ol lady says I can get a real smoker.

Price range is $1000 - 1500 with shipping.

Dream smoker would be a Meadow Creek TS60, but that ain't happening.

I want to get a barrel shaped reverse flow smoker... that knocks out the Lang and Peoria Cookers.

I live in Central Illinois, so something made between Chicago, Indy and St. Louis would be something I could pick up.

Bullheads is a local fabricator: http://bullheadsbbq.com/our-smokers---grills.html

I'd like to have any suggestions you might have.

Thanks in advance.

I also live in champaign, and have been out to talk to the guys at bullheadbbq in St Joe. I have to say that I have never welded or know much about it; but on their rig, on a trailer (which is the pic on there post) which they showed me looked like a drunk welded it together, doors didn't even come close to closing on the firebox and on the smoker.
I took my cousin who knows more about welding and has done some; told me not not even waste any of my other buddy's time going out there, who has done welding for a living. Now that was last year maybe they have gotten better. They did say it was a prototype.

I have also have been looking for new or used offset at that price range for a while with no luck. I am a little picky. I have been countinuously looking for a nice used smoker that is close for a year or two. Now its coming down to, or until I save enough for a Peoria Cooker! I also tried looking for a used PC and they are few and far between. THERE are couple eggs on craigslist in fisher, but you could get a new one at Old Time Deli. Englebatch is in Paxton but $$$$$. I realy want a real offset smoker, but being able to sleep is nice.

Further south than the area you discussed, but Shirley Fabrication has a nice barrel smoker for $1500.

Reading your post again, I might be a little confused. You said:

I want to get a barrel shaped reverse flow smoker... that knocks out the Lang and Peoria Cookers.

Is a "barrel shaped reverse flow smoker" different than a horizontal offset reverse flow smoker (such as a Lang 36 ?)

Sorry for the confusion, by barrel shaped, I meant an offset smoker with rounded ends, like a Meadow Creek.

Yes, I have a barrel smoker, a UDS, and I meant no disrespect to the nation when I said the wife told me I could get, "a real smoker". The 'ol UDS is starting to show a lot of wear and tear going into it's 2nd season. I just want something more sturdy and with a little more capacity.

DaSmokin'Chili - I had the same thoughts about the weld quality of the photos I've seen of Bullheads. Haven't gone out there to see it in person yet.

Thanks

I purchased one from lonestargrillz last summer. Very pleased with it. Might want to give them a call. I live outside of Chicago and even with the shipping costs, they had the best deal for what I was looking for.

I just bought a smoker from bullheads that I'm picking up this weekend. If you're still considering them, I can post how it turned out.

Sorry for the confusion, by barrel shaped, I meant an offset smoker with rounded ends, like a Meadow Creek.

Yes, I have a barrel smoker, a UDS, and I meant no disrespect to the nation when I said the wife told me I could get, "a real smoker". The 'ol UDS is starting to show a lot of wear and tear going into it's 2nd season. I just want something more sturdy and with a little more capacity.

DaSmokin'Chili - I had the same thoughts about the weld quality of the photos I've seen of Bullheads. Haven't gone out there to see it in person yet.

Thanks

I have a WSM. Its ok. I know people have won championships and enjoy cooking on it, but I don't. Personally I am about to buy a traeger and look forward to actually have a rectangular grill surface as opposed to the circular grate.

Hey Stalker nice pictures especially the one with the three Backwoods on the trailer that was my catering set up about 7 yesrs ago. To funny.:becky:

I just figured that was someone trading in their Backwoods on some new Humphreys...........:loco:

What others have said....save and get what you WANT. Maybe try craigslist if you would be happy with a used version and save some money. Bottom line you wont be happy till you get the one you want. The joy of the cheaper one will wear off quickly as you believe you "settled" on the smoker. On another note, if it is more expensive than the wife is comfortable with it is much easier to beg for forgiveness vs begging for permission :)

gsb1982, I would love to see the pix of your Bullheads. Let me know what yo think after you fire it up too. I'm interested in how efficient it burns.

After starting this thread, taking all of your suggestions and doing some investigation, I've come to the follow conclusions.

1) My UDS is a real smoker!
2) I like fire, so I'm not interested in a pellet pooper.
3) Offsets are cool, but expensive, take more attention and more fuel.
4) Cabinet smokers are built like tanks and burn efficiently, but getting one big enough to put a 17# turkey in jumps right out of my price range.

I'm leaning toward buying a scratch and dent salvage barrel (85 gal.) and building my dream UDS Big Boy. $225 shipped.

New 26 1/2 Weber grate for top grate - $80
Sandblast and paint - $80
Cannibalize my old UDS of it charcoal basket (bottom grate), bottle opener, nipples and ball valve - free.
Cannibalize my old 26 1/2" Weber of it's lid and grill rack - free

That will give me the larger cooking space I want, fire attention span I have and fuel efficiency I can afford. All that and over $1100 bucks left in my pocket.

Yes, my UDS is a real smoker.

Back