Buying my Dream Smoker, LSG 20x42, but what options?

Congrats and I'm sure you'll be happy. For a first cook I always recommend pork butt since it's very forgiving when learning a new pit.

Congrats!!! This group of posts was perfect timing since I have been researching the LSG's for the last few month. (Much Appreciated)

I just ordered a LSG 20x42 offset with 8 inch wheels, fan port and pull handle. One thing I forgot to add were two temp ports for the main chamber but they indicated I can still make changes before they start the build in 3-4 weeks. I think they are about $25 each.
Bigger wheels for the rocky terrain and the pull handle made sense since it can double as a tool/utensil hanger. The ports to help monitor temps remotely.

Still trying to decide if I want to drive the 9 hour round trip or have it shipped. Leaning towards the delivery versus dealing with a heavy load/unload. The back is not what it use to be.

One thing I did ask Chris, had he thought about a vertical smoker option since you the stack is bold on. It would need additional bracing for support. It looks like it could work. Something to think about.

I don't post much, mainly I read/learn from those with more experience but truly am amazed at the wealth of knowledge and the passion here at the Brethren. It provides great ideas and a wanting appetite :grin:

Two weeks ago I went to Lonestar Grillz and ordered the 24x36 offset cabinet smoker...I was genuinely torn between the 20x42 and the cabinet smoker. The more I read about the 20x42 the more I think I made the wrong choice with ordering the cabinet. The 20x42 really fits my needs more at this current time, but the cabinet smoker is big enough to cook more than I have ever cooked. I would really like to think that this will be my last smoker for many years, but I doubt it. I don't want to order the 20x42 and regret not getting the bigger cabinet smoker..So, to sum it up, I am genuinely torn between the two..Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread with my personal dilemma...

Still trying to decide if I want to drive the 9 hour round trip or have it shipped. Leaning towards the delivery versus dealing with a heavy load/unload. The back is not what it use to be.

Shipping to Fort Worth was just shy of $300, and that included the residential/liftgate service. Even if I had the necessary equipment to go down and pick it up myself, I would still go with the shipping. Just less of a hassle. And I would be absolutely paranoid that something would happen on the drive back to my new precious cargo if I were to do it myself.

Two weeks ago I went to Lonestar Grillz and ordered the 24x36 offset cabinet smoker...I was genuinely torn between the 20x42 and the cabinet smoker. The more I read about the 20x42 the more I think I made the wrong choice with ordering the cabinet. The 20x42 really fits my needs more at this current time, but the cabinet smoker is big enough to cook more than I have ever cooked. I would really like to think that this will be my last smoker for many years, but I doubt it. I don't want to order the 20x42 and regret not getting the bigger cabinet smoker..So, to sum it up, I am genuinely torn between the two..Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread with my personal dilemma...

I was tempted by the cabinet, but the reality is that I would never use it to capacity. I won't even use the 20x42 to capacity 85% of the time. And the price difference between the two is rather significant. If it helps you, do what I did and get a sheet of cardboard or paper marked out to the size of the cooking grates and start seeing what you can fit on it.

Shipping to Fort Worth was just shy of $300, and that included the residential/liftgate service. Even if I had the necessary equipment to go down and pick it up myself, I would still go with the shipping. Just less of a hassle. And I would be absolutely paranoid that something would happen on the drive back to my new precious cargo if I were to do it myself.

I was tempted by the cabinet, but the reality is that I would never use it to capacity. I won't even use the 20x42 to capacity 85% of the time. And the price difference between the two is rather significant. If it helps you, do what I did and get a sheet of cardboard or paper marked out to the size of the cooking grates and start seeing what you can fit on it.

I might just do the template thing this week to see how it looks...In all my years of smoking the most I have ever done was 4 briskets...I just need to give up that one day I might be asked to cook for the Dallas Cowboys or some famous person...lol

If I ever needed more capacity to cook for a larger group, I am blessed with friends that could easily accommodate any overage and they cook awesome meat.

The 20x42 is probably overkill for me but I can send this down the line to my kids. I too struggled with the size between a 24x...but could not see myself cooking that much. I almost went smaller with the 20x36 but I considered the cost difference minimal.

For me it is a matter of how to spend within the budget. I have too many hobbies and like/need variety, so spending too much on one item limits another. The choice for me is a good balance and mama did not raise any issues as long as things will taste good.

The build/fabrication timeline to make changes may be in your favor if you decide to change your mind, Hope you find your sweet spot.

It looks like I am late to this post since you already placed your order. I have not been on much due to recovering from back surgery and not cooking outside for almost a year now.

I have the 24x48 offset and love it. One of the things I highly considered when I got mine was the 8" wheel upgrade. I visited Lone Star before I ordered and figured out with the 8" wheels, opening the doors was difficult as they raised the lids too high for me at their fully opened position. I am 5'8" tall so it may be different for you, but something to think about if you didn't try it out for yourself.

Jesse

Here is Jessie (sparctek) again helping a fellow Brethren. He was a great help to me when I was acquiring my LSG.

Anyway, now I get to start counting the days until it arrives, and plan on how to reveal it to the wife. This is a surprise, an "ask forgiveness rather than permission" kind of thing. Hopefully, the look I'll get won't be fatal.

Hopefully we arent seeing an add for a "Hardly used LSG!" in 9 weeks. I do a lot of stupid stuff without the wifes permission (anyone looking for a set of golf clubs) but this wouldnt be one of them.

Congrats, Im jealous. I am hoping to get a new smoker in the next year and am trying like hell to figure out what i want.

Congrats!
I hope you'll post again with an update after you start cooking on it. I have been fantasizing about purchasing an LSG myself, but I think I'm still a year or two away from that.
Cheers

I just got the email telling me they've started making it! Squeee!
10-14 business days to completion it said. So, I have about four more weeks before my wife kills me when I surprise her with it.

Congrats.
I ordered a 20x36 on Feb 6th (my wife was aware...:wink:) I got an email on 2/23 that they had started working on it. I'm patiently waiting but its tough. Keep checking my inbox and phone...LOL.

I did the same thing with options that you did. I was going to order some later like the ash pan and charcoal S basket then I saw it was going to be $70 just to ship them. I called Amber and had them added to my order to save on the shipping.

(I ended up with: gas assist, 1/2" grate, fitted cover, 2 probe ports, ash tray & charcoal S basket)

So far both Chris and Amber have been great to deal with.

BTW, my dream pit from them is a 24x36 offset with 1/2" firebox but it was just out of range $$$ wise and honestly more than I needed.

Good luck and Congrats!

I just got the email telling me they've started making it! Squeee!
10-14 business days to completion it said. So, I have about four more weeks before my wife kills me when I surprise her with it.

For sale:
Brand new LSG 20x42
Only used once and then my wife came home.

Edit: or...
For sale:
Brand new LSG
Never used. My husband passed before he could use it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Congrats.
I ordered a 20x36 on Feb 6th (my wife was aware...:wink:) I got an email on 2/23 that they had started working on it. I'm patiently waiting but its tough. Keep checking my inbox and phone...LOL.

At least you're only having to wait less than a month! I think I had to wait around 18 weeks for my LSG offset a few years back. Im gonna order a Santa Maria grill from them later this year but it looks like the lead times for those are pretty short. Congrats on the new pit!

It's finished! Just got the call and they're getting it ready for shipping. I can't wait.
By the way, I did fess up to the wife about it while on our way to the Texas Brethren Bash, since I figured some of you guys might blab about it. :)

Sorry I was late to the party, I will offer my opinion for others considering a LSG offset. Congratulations on your choices and welcome to the family.

Based on personal experience the add on's I would opt for are the 8" wheels especially if you are over 5'10" since it raises the main cook grate height an inch and a half. Also the pull handle and the ball valve for the main CC. The ash rake or an aftermarket one is a must. Makes cleaning out the FB a breeze plus I purchased a oblong galvanized tub that I rake my ash out of the FB into. I can honestly say the bottom of my 1/4" FB still looks new.
(Pic of tub below) Get a tub slightly wider than the FB, they are light weight and easy to handle.

IMG_20160816_125559266.jpg

The ash pan is way to heavy cumbersome plus ash still finds it way to the FB floor.

The cover IMO is not necessary especially in a humid environment. Keep the outside seasoned with the 50/50 spray of water and oil and your finish will look great for years.

The standard FB grates do not last forever they will and do warp so the 1/2" laser cut grate is a something I wish I had however was not an option when I purchased my LSG Offset.

Back