Help me pick the right rig(s)

abshifflett

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
I'm currently in the market for a new grill/smoker as my Char-Broil Duo is coming to an end of its short but well used life span. This was my first grill and I purchased it because I didn't know if I would be on the gas or charcoal bandwagon, turns out that I use the charcoal side mainly for smoking and the gas grill for quicker cooks like burgers, sausage, and steaks. The things I didn't like about the duo are the limited space when smoking or cooking indirect with a water pan, constantly babysitting it and it was very difficult to maintain low and slow.

Right now I'm planning on upgrading the smoker first, I would like it to be able handle 4-6 racks of ribs, a 10-15 lb packer brisket, a large turkey, or a couple Boston butts (not all at the same time). I am looking for something that will last and is not another throw away with the ability to handle longer cooks with minimal babysitting.

I'm looking to keep the cost around $1000 for both grills together. Here are what I have been considering so far, please give me your thoughts and add in anything I may be over looking.

-WSM 18 or 22. No experience with it and never eaten off one but know a few people with them who love it. Concerns are space and how easy it is to maintain temps.

-PBC. No experience with it, have read a lot of great reviews but the inability to control temps and cook around 225 kind of concerns me as it goes against everything i've learned.

-GMG Daniel Boone. Never used a pellet smoker or eaten off one. I like the ease of use and ability to cold smoke. Concerned with the lack of smoke flavor, maintenance of components, and need for it to be powered (last ones not a big one)

-BGE XL. I use one regularly at work (BGE Dealer). Would go to a single grill so I would be giving up lots of cooking surface, no easy ability to cook direct and indirect, more expensive than the 2 grill set ups as the extras add up quick. It's very easy to use, once temp is set very little adjustment needs to be made for the length of the cook.

My responses inline below...

Right now I'm planning on upgrading the smoker first, I would like it to be able handle 4-6 racks of ribs, a 10-15 lb packer brisket, a large turkey, or a couple Boston butts (not all at the same time). I am looking for something that will last and is not another throw away with the ability to handle longer cooks with minimal babysitting.

I'm looking to keep the cost around $1000 for both grills together. Here are what I have been considering so far, please give me your thoughts and add in anything I may be over looking.

-WSM 18 or 22. No experience with it and never eaten off one but know a few people with them who love it. Concerns are space and how easy it is to maintain temps.

**** Either would fit your needs, but I would go with the 22.5" if you decide on a WSM. It is huge! Temp control is very easy and stable, pretty much the same as the BGE once you get it dialed in. Very versatile and you will be able to cook at almost any temp. You can grill on it in a pinch, but it is not optimal for that.

-PBC. No experience with it, have read a lot of great reviews but the inability to control temps and cook around 225 kind of concerns me as it goes against everything i've learned.

**** The large turkey might be a stretch, but a small turkey is fine. Most PBC run at 275-ish out of the box, and you can adjust the intake to customize that.

-GMG Daniel Boone. Never used a pellet smoker or eaten off one. I like the ease of use and ability to cold smoke. Concerned with the lack of smoke flavor, maintenance of components, and need for it to be powered (last ones not a big one)

**** In 9+ years of cooking on pellet smokers no one has ever complained about a lack of smoke flavor in my food. In your price range I would look at a Rectec. Much better build quality than the GMG. Not that the GMG is bad, but I like the Rectec better.

-BGE XL. I use one regularly at work (BGE Dealer). Would go to a single grill so I would be giving up lots of cooking surface, no easy ability to cook direct and indirect, more expensive than the 2 grill set ups as the extras add up quick. It's very easy to use, once temp is set very little adjustment needs to be made for the length of the cook.

**** If you can get an XL BGE for under $1000, I would jump on it. If you don't like it you can seek it and get your money back, or maybe make a little. As far as cooking space, you can add multiple racks and for indirect/direct just use the half-moon pizza stone or a half-moon pan as the heat shield. It works well.

I hope all of that helped! Good luck!

Having a pellet cooker is nice and can make good food for grilling and smoking. If you don't want to worry about electric it may need to go off the list.

I have a UDS and have not modified it for direct grilling but could and it would cost you under $200 for a rig that if taken care of would last a long while. The ability to hang a good deal of meat (everything you asked about) in a PBC would make it worth the while, and after you learn temp control, I would say you could do low and slow even if 20 degrees higher than you prefer

If you have the $$, you should go get the BGE. I have used my dad in laws rig and it is nice for controlling temps! You have grill or smoke options on it and the only way I know to tell you different would be a Weber Summit Charcoal for about the same price as an egg, I think?

I'd go with the XL BGE also. Will fill both roles as grill and smoker. Get some accessories from Ceramic Grill Store and you will have everything that you need to do direct, raised direct, and indirect. Of course I am a little biased, having 3 Eggs.

I've been using a large BGE since '02. I also have a small infrared gasser for quickies and searing, that we picked up during a kitchen renovation a couple of years back. Bought a KBQ in the quest for clean smoke and stick burning a few weeks back.

Of the three, the BGE is by far the most versatile, once you add a plate setter and an extension grid.

A large BGE was at the top of my list at the start, until I cooked a turkey on the XL and realized there would be very little room for anything else along side it with a large. The XL is quite a bit over my budget right now, by getting 2 less expensive grills I can get one now and one later. Plus I will be able to smoke and grill different parts of the meal at the same time. The same is true for the Rectec.

If you decide to go the WSM route, definitely pay the extra $100 for the 22. Way more bang for the buck.
+1

I have an 18.5 and my only regret is it's not a 22.5, it really wasn't about the money I thought the 18.5 would be big enough, the extra room on the 22.5 would come in handy.

A large BGE was at the top of my list at the start, until I cooked a turkey on the XL and realized there would be very little room for anything else along side it with a large. The XL is quite a bit over my budget right now, by getting 2 less expensive grills I can get one now and one later. Plus I will be able to smoke and grill different parts of the meal at the same time. The same is true for the Rectec.

I get your thinking, but when you're cooking turkey, you want to be out of your wife's way in the kitchen. She can pretty much cook everything else besides the stuffing and gravy. And they're minimal tending.

You get to tend the temps (ahem) and engage in adult beverages.

Also a good way to get away from relatives you may be less fond of.

• Thanks
Reactions: NCT
I have Green Mountain Grill Jim Bowie. Its bigger than the Daniel Boone. And I have a Saffire Grill 19" Kamado. Very similar to BGE so much so its essentially the same thing.

First, you most likely will not be able to cold smoke even though the temp controls have a 150 minimum. There is enough of a temp swing that would melt cheese. Temp control is pretty good but I have experienced enough frustration I was ready to give up on it. After numerous updates of the controller program and fiddling with grate and positioning I have got it where I want it. You will drive yourself crazy chasing the temp if you are so inclined.
The best thing about a pellet grill is the convenience of smoke on demand. Takes about 15 minutes to get up to 250 degrees. With the wifi option and server mode I can be anywhere I have wifi or a cell signal and control my pit. Change temp, change internal temp set points, program the cook any way I want, shut down or tell my pit to keep finished meat warm. Smoke flavor is best under 275 degree and depends largely on pellets used. Which is another variable you need to consider. Pellets bought by the bag can be very expensive but if bought by the ton extremely reasonable for high quality pellets. Doing a group buy is best if you cannot buy a ton. And not all pellets are created equal. I first bought the GMG pellets but didnt give me the smoke flavor I wanted. I tried about 3 other brands and finally found the brand I like. It gives it plenty of smoke flavor for me. And as far as size is concerned Im pretty sure you can cook two decent sized turkeys, a large brisket, 4 port butts or 4 racks of ribs in the daniel boone without the addition of the second grate.

I love my Kamado grill but since you have used it I will not comment too much about it.

For under $600 plus shipping, you could get both a 22.5" WSM and a 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle via Amazon. That would probably leave you lots of money for charcoal, meat, and cool refreshing beverages. And if you search for them via the Amazon Affiliate link at the top right of the page, might even help this site out...

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Weber-14401001-Original-Premium-Charcoal/dp/B00MKB5TXA/ref=dp_ob_title_garden"]Amazon.com : Weber 14401001 Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill, 22-Inch, Black : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Weber-731001-Mountain-22-Inch-Charcoal/dp/B001I8ZTJA/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1488318946&sr=1-1&keywords=weber+smokey+mountain"]Amazon.com : Weber 731001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 22-Inch Charcoal Smoker, Black : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Personally, I'd go with a 22.5 WSM for smoke...Then it's a tossup between a Weber kettle and a 36" Blackstone griddle for fast cooks. Love my kettle, but the griddle can be used for practically anything...Burgers to grilled cheese to stir fry...

I get your thinking, but when you're cooking turkey, you want to be out of your wife's way in the kitchen. She can pretty much cook everything else besides the stuffing and gravy. And they're minimal tending.

You get to tend the temps (ahem) and engage in adult beverages.

Also a good way to get away from relatives you may be less fond of.

You have one of those wives who cooks?

Yeah, Steve, life is good. And she's happy to have a husband who does too!

She tells her relatives stories about the guys who claimed they could cook, but couldn't.

I do have to say that we suffer from the too many cooks in the kitchen problem now and then, though.

"I don't care what Kenji says - my mother used to do it this way ..."!

And I happen to know how her mother destroyed roast beef, because mine was equally Irish!

My significant other is a fantastic lady with many talents that don't include cooking. My kitchen is pretty small, so it works out that I don't have to share it with anyone.

Back