THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chicken

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
I have been smoking on a Cookshack Amerique for nearly the last 10 years. The thing has been rock solid and I get decent pork butt and ribs out of it. I could never cook a brisket though to save my a** in it. I bought a XL BGE about 4 years ago for grilling and figured one day two years I would try a brisket in it for s**ts and giggles. The thing came out amazing! Since then I have been doing my pork in the Cookshack and brisket in the BGE. Well this weekend I needed to cook a pair of pork butts for a friends party and I figured let's try them on the BGE.

Wow I did not realize how much better it could have tasted compared to the Cookshack. The smoker flavor penetrated a lot deeper, was considerably more moist and the smoke flavor just seemed to taste cleaner. It was the same pork I always buy, same rub and same smoke wood. Only difference was electric vs charcoal. Now I am thinking I should sell my Cookshack and buy a new smoker. The BGE is great but it just does not have the capacity of the Cookshack. I really like the Cookshack for ease of use but the flavor was just so much better on the Egg. I have a cyberq now so it's not like the egg is that much harder once the fires going.

So any recommendations on what smoker I should buy? Here are my requirements/wish list

* no budget per say. I want this to be the last smoker I buy
* size needs to handle at least 4 pork butts and 2 full briskets but larger would be great
* would be great to have one large enough to do a whole hog. Never cooked one but we have enough parties where it would be great to have the ability to do it.
* needs to be a insulated smoker of some type. I work a lot of hours and have a 3 & 5 year old so I cannot be up all night tending a standard offset stick burner. That's what I love about the Cookshack and BGE with the CyberQ. I load them up and they run until the food is done mostly unattended. I also like smoking during the winter. Hopefully I could run at least 16-18 hours on a full load.
* I suspect I need a charcoal based setup as I live just outside of San Francisco and it's would be tough to find various type of stick wood here. Lump coal is easy though to find
* needs to work with the cyberq as per above reasons.

Any other things I should be looking for? Any pointers are greatly appreciated! Thanks Chris.

I would agree with the above but since you want the capacity to do a whole hog, I would say backwoods or those types of smokers (humphreys I think has a big one too)

I saw a pic of a small pig on the Egg Meadowcreek makes a cabinet smoker like Backwoods I do large pork butts on my Large BGE Prob could do 4 on a extra large

Backwoods makes the Piglet for small hogs but they start at $4k.

I had a Cookshack for 12 years. Gave it to my neighbor 4 years ago....still working like new. Those things are like tanks.

Definitely look into a Humphrey's, they are amazing. Contact "Smokinit", Kevin Rundell, he'll be able to answer all your questions and will never lead you astray. He even has a page in the sales section, Northeast Professional BBQ. He's always accessable and I don't think there's anything about the humphrey's that he can't answer. I have one and love my Downeast beast, so much so, I am buying another one along with the pint my buddy is selling.

Another vote for Humphreys, I love my DEB, but lsg and pitmaker are both equally good as well.

You have KAT BBQ Smokers in Modesto and they build custom Pits give them a call and tell what you are looking for. The owner is a quality guy who makes quality Pits and they are also almost in your backyard.

I just went threw EXACTLY what you are... Wanted a set it and forget it smoker and wanted good capacity and wanted it to be the last one I buy (for the most part)

LOOK NO FURTHER!!

Read this LONG thread and you'll do what I just did and most of us did.... After all the research I truly believe an LGS Insulated Vertical Cabinet is what you need.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185024

http://www.lonestargrillz.com/Insulated-Smokers.html

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233424

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPS4sRDfMeI[/ame]

It is on my list. I think I can get a small pig racer style in my LSG diagonally.

Im pretty sure Ive seen somebody on here do a small pig racer style in one of the bigger LSG vertical offsets which I think is comparable to their large insulated size wise. I fully intend on trying once I get mine :grin:

Back