Help Me Buy a new Tailgate Grill (portable)

MustGoFast

Knows what a fatty is.
So - now that the world is reopening we're starting to get out again. I've been using Weber Smokey Joe's FOREVER. The one I have is pretty beat up and with a couple tailgates planned it's time to think of a replacement so Brethren help me spend my money.

Needs - Potability since I'll use this mostly at tailgates occasionally at neighbor things and maybe camping once a years. On it I'll cook 90% Burgers & Brats occasional chicken/steak - I doubt I'll ever use it to smoke anything. I find the 144sq/in Joe a little small

I started on the mGrills C4 as it's a slick unit, before I realized how small it is and it was out.
I then looked at Pk and liked the Go, Hibachi, & TX - the stand of the Tx is quite appealing, but the price is a bit questionable. Not sure if the Hibachi is compatible with their stand or not as I don't think I'll ever need the flip ability of the Go.
Best budget option is clearly the Jumbo Joe
Last one I looked at was the Akorn Jr. - again good to budget, love the orange color it's available in - con is only slightly bigger than the current.

So what would you do if you were in my shoes?

Leaning on doing the PK Hibachi today. Was on the Tx last night but not sure I can justify going from 200 --> 500/600 for the incremental space/stand as nice as the stand would be to have.

Yep - I saw that one as well forgot to include it on the list. Not sure how it ocmps to some of the above really but it feels like a step up from the Lil Joe as well.
That said it doesn't seem as well built as some of the other options.

I want a lid so I'm really getting stuck on overpaying for that damn TK GO cuz I think it is a cool design and quality product.
I WISH it came in other colors though....

I had a Jumbo Joe for a few years as my camping grill, I even had the mini SnS basket for it so I could smoke a decent size butt. It's a great cheap grill if it fits your needs, I ran out of room trying to feed a large group with two zone cooking so last year I replaced it with a 22" that I cut the legs down. Not as portable but better for my needs.

I have been drooling at the various PK's for years but just can't pull the trigger due to size/cost, as much as I want it they're too hard to justify when a kettle works at a 1/4 of the cost.

WGA or Jumbo Joe. WGA for compact and capable but Jumbo Joe more versatile.

I've also got a rotisserie ring and vortex for it so the possibilities are endless. 18" so plenty of space IMHO.

J7jjIXsh.jpg

E4Mxqafh.jpg

4q5e7lph.jpg

dEw3sk9h.jpg

LEb22MUh.jpg

I think I want someone to convince me to just get the damn Jumbo Joe now before the wife kills me...

OK....looks like the best option at $90. SNS is same size and twice the price.

18" is a good jump in size from your 14". Do it before she takes you out....

Back