Head Scratcher.....

speed2486

is one Smokin' Farker
I seasoned up the Shirley on Saturday. After running it at about 225 for four hours I cranked it up to 325 in the main chamber just for kicks. Decided to throw a bunch of chicken on for the upcoming week. Did a dozen thighs, a three dozen wings, one pork chop and a ring bologna. The cook went well and everything turned out great. After I had pulled everything a number of neighbors just happened to show up with some cold beers and some impromptu sampling commenced. I ended up with about 6 thighs and a dozen wings left. After everything had cooled down I covered the pans in foil and put in the refrigerator. The pans were stacked one on top of the other. Last night I pulled the pans out to heat the leftover chicken up for dinner. When I went to pull the foil off of the pan on the bottom I noticed a lot of holes in it. It almost looked like the holes were due to 'corrosion' if that makes any sense. WTF???? Has anyone experienced this before? I forgot to take a pic.

I heated the chicken up and we ate it anyway. Nobody has died...... yet.

I have noticed that aluminum foil pans do corrode through quickly when they have even slightly acidic fluids in them. When I hold a pan up to the light I can see the microscopic holes in them. They may not even leak yet.

Hmmm..... I've foiled pans and stacked them hundreds of times and have never seen this. I didn't see any holes in the pan... Only the foil covering it. I used Cavender's Greek seasoning on the thighs. It's rather salty, so maybe that's what caused it.

I've had that happen with foil too. Before storing in the fridge, I cover the food with plastic wrap, then cover with a second layer of foil.

Back